1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dish setup for HD in the Northeast?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by hardwired, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardwired

hardwired Cool Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I currently have a 625 SD DVR and an old Mpeg2 6000 HD receiver in the Boston area. I'd like to add the Vip622 and maybe replace the 6000 with a Vip211 later on.

I have a Dish500 for 110/119 and an SW64 switch. When I call DIshNetwork customer service to add the Vip622 what dish and switch setup should I make sure they are going to install for this upgrade? If I'm going to change the dish/switch setup I'd like to future proof so I don't have to change the dishes and switches again in the future when HD programming moves to different sat locations or I add another receiver (Vip211).

Also, is it possible for Dishnetwork to ship me the Vip622 and the new dish and switch combo so I can install myself? Or will they insist on a Dish contractor doing the install and how much can I expect them to charge? I will be upgrading to the HD package with this.

Thanks.

2. Yes616

Yes616 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    You will need an extra Dish 300 pointed at 61.5 for Boston HD locals and many (mostly VooM) of the national HD channels where you are. You will find the rest of the HD nationals on 110.
    The SW64 can handle the third satellite so that will not be changed.
    Why try to install it yourself when they will do it for free? This is because of the HD locals. Thats how it worked for me here in the NYC DMA.

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish will also upgrade your lnb's and switches to new equipment as well.

4. hardwired

hardwired Cool Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I suspect I will need all new LNB's and a switch (Dish Pro Plus?) to be able to feed 5 tuners (2 dual tuner DVR's and the 6000). Right now I have the legacy LNB and SW64 switch that works for up to 4 tuners.

Should I be looking for a Dish 1000.2 with the built in switch or is the Dish500 with some new DPP LNB's and a couple of switches (SW34?) preferable? Either case I need the 61.5 wing dish - what LNB will the wing dish require?

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    1000.2 dish will not give you anything more than you already have. Best equipment for you would DPP head with a DPP44 switch. The dual tuner receivers would only require one line run to it and a seperator to feed both inputs. and one line to the 6000.

6. hardwired

hardwired Cool Member

Oct 8, 2006
    What programming will I be missing from the 118 bird that the 500+ and 1000+ pick up?

Also, can the DPP44 switch drive 4 dual tuner receivers?

I looked at my account and I can upgrade to a leased Vip622 and can select either shipped or installed - same price. Any idea if I will I have to pay for any of the LNB and switch changes?

I believe E* will waive the $6 DVR fee and the $6 Lease fee with the DVR Advantage plan with the $20 HD package.

7. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    None of the regular channels are on 118. Mostly some foreign packages previously available on superdish. Only if you need it for your locals would it be needed. 4 Dual tuner receiver that support the DPP seperator can be connected to a DPP44. The standard Dish HD upgrade includes any new dishs, lnbs, and switches needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.