Which Joey should we order - 4k or wired?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Eskimo, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    We're coming over from DTV, and have 1x Hopper3 and 2x Joey's on the order. My question is, are the 4k Joeys faster/more responsive/better than a wired Joey?

We do *need* RF remotes for both Joeys, and the responsiveness of the UI is important to me. However, neither of the TV's are currently 4k (and I'm not planning on replacing them, though one of the sets is circa 2008), the coax is already run to the location, so there's no benefit to wireless for me. Putting the Hopper3 at one of the locations (for better performance) isn't an option. It will have to be a Joey.

2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    4k Joeys are also wired. It may be a bit faster than Joey2, but they might charge for the upgrade.

3. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    I'm OK with the $50 charge if it provides a noticeable performance increase.. just wondering if it's worth it or not?

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    It is noticeable, nicer form factor, and you would be future protected for 4k.

5. Feb 2, 2017 #5 of 12
    Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks! Hopefully the audio between a Joey 2 and a 4K will be in sync. While I can justify the 4k for the main TV we watch, the TV in the bedroom is only a 32" and is 720p, and at our viewing distances, it wouldn't matter if it was 1080 or 4k! However, in the morning as we get ready from work, the audio from both sets can be heard at the same time, and the delay we have now with DTV is annoying.

6. Feb 2, 2017 #6 of 12
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    In the morning turn down the VOLUME on one TV so you only hear the audio from one. Frequently called a MUTE button.

7. Feb 2, 2017 #7 of 12
    Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    Someone thinks they're funny.
    Did I really HAVE to specify "depending on where we are in the house", the audio from both can be heard from at the same time? :rolleyes:

8. Mar 2, 2017 #8 of 12
    Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    For the archives, there's just a slight delay between the Joey2 and the Joey4k when watching live TV - Not bad, just makes it sound like the "Stadium" DSP setting on a most A/V processors. MUCH better than the DTV stuff for sure.

9. Mar 4, 2017 #9 of 12
    kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    The 4K Joeys are awesome, but they have some HDCP glitches such that they expect a HDCP 2.2-compliant TV as that's the version of HDCP that supports 4K.

You won't notice issues when watching live TV, but you will be told your display doesn't support HDCP when trying to view any VoD or even content off a Hopper 3-connected EHD.

10. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    I haven't had any of those issues, and have watched several VoD programs. Granted, none of it was 4K.

11. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    You misunderstand; these were not 4K programs but the Joey 4K was complaining the TV didn't have HDCP when obviously it does as without HDCP support you cannot even watch HBO.

The problem is regular content only requires HDCP 1.0 to view but the Joey 4K is requiring a higher level of HDCP than it should.

12. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    Like I said, I haven't seen any HDCP issues, error messages, or anything of the sort.