1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which NY/LA superstations are carried in high def?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by quietmouse, Feb 13, 2011.

1. quietmouse

quietmouse Guest

which NY/LA superstations are carried in high def?

thanks!

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Outside of their home markets ? - NONE.

3. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    This is something Dish really needs to address. After all we are paying extra for this package. If they don't go high def soon, I will drop. WGN is in hi def. Why not the rest??????

4. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Probably would require a new carry agreement but definitely something I'd like to see. Of course, I also like to see those 4 Disney channels restored to HD and that seems to be a dead horse.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    WGN America is not a superstation ... they are just another cable channel (like TBS, CNN, TWC, ESPN and a couple hundred more).

WGN was a superstation but they, like WTBS, created a separate feed for satellite and became a normal satellite channel in order to avoid blackouts on content that they only had the rights to air in their own market (syndication). In the Chicago area subscribers get two WGNs, the "WGN America" channel seen nationwide and their own local WGN9.

BTW: KTLA, WPIX and KWGN are HD in their own markets, WSBK and WWOR are not. Carrying the current HD feeds would provide a HD CW for all time zones.

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That may be the issue. Superstations are not carried based on an agreement ... they are carried based on a statutory license. I assume that the law considers a station a station and if DISH can carry the HD feed centercut and downconverted I don't see why they couldn't carry it in full HD resolution.

7. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Ditto. The law that allows Dish to carry these five is quite brief, so there must be some underlying interpretation or legal opinion that we're not aware of. You'd think that Dish would love to sell HD feeds if it thought it could, or maybe even if it thought it could get away with it for a while. :D

8. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Without HD right now the super package carries little value and I am seriously considering dropping it. Any idea when the super package agreement is up? Are the stations bargained seperate or is it bargained as a package? Also is the SS package tied to anything? If I drop it I just get a $7 credit on my bill right? I don't lose anything else do I?

9. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    There is usually a downgrade fee for dropping it. You will not be billed for it once it is gone so there would not be any ongoing credit. There could be full or part credit depending when you remove the package from your account.

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I had KTLA for 7 years & KBCW in San Franisco asked Dish to shut KTLA off. Dish complied.

11. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    It's my understanding that the stations aren't "bargained" at all. That's the point of the law - Dish doesn't have to ask permission (which it likely wouldn't get) to carry these grandfathered channels, so long as they pay a fee, which goes to the stations.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Superstations can be offered as long as DISH wants to offer the service and the law allows. DISH currently sells the channels individually ($2 each per month) or in the $7 package (although the online "change your programming" site is missing this package). There is no commitment connected to subscribing ... drop or add at any time with only the $5 downgrade fee.

If the superstations became HD I wonder how many CW affiliates would complain and ask DISH to remove the package from their markets? Remaining SD may be a compromise.

13. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Quite frankly I think it's more a matter of DISH wanting to use the bandwidth it would require to carry the superstations in HD for other HD channels.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Possibly ... when they had more capacity there was the lingering question of "analog" channels in the description of Superstations. The word "analog" was removed last year when the law allowing superstations was extended, but now there is a capacity crunch.

15. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    The $7 package does show up on the right hand side with your other charges when you pick all five. The problem is, so does the $2 each, so you get a total of $17. I'm told by online Dish CSR's this gets fixed to $7 before you're billed.

It is and always has been possible for a superstation to be blocked. I don't know if the add programming page is sophisticated enough, or perhaps nowhere are any superstations blocked anymore, but it used to be you were told if you qualified for all of them. So it is entirely possible if Dish did CW in HD the locals would block it anyway. I still watch KTLA, WSBK, and the two NY ones often either for the local programming/news, or for some of the shows nothing in my area carries.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The locals qualification page shows superstations - or at least it does for my address:
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/local/default.aspx

(It shows them as WB and UPN affiliates, but at least it shows the channels. Local channels and RSNs are also shown on that page.)

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Why?

Or should I ask, why not?

18. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Several years ago the superstations were more of a big deal because a majority of their content wasn't available locally, at least to me. Also they carried a lot of sports particularly baseball. Now a lot of the baseball has moved off to Team channels and sports is now hard to watch in SD (at least for me). CW in HD is what I've been holding out for with the package because I can't get the local CW in HD (it is the only OTA I can't receive) and DISH does not yet carry our CW on satellite in HD (SD only). So I find us not watching the supers much at all anymore. $7 a month for rarely watched channels is getting harder to stomach. HD would get them watched more and I would probably keep them. If there's nothing in the wind about them going HD by the summer I will most likely drop them.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Dropping superstations is a good way of saving $7 if there is nothing unique on them.

If DISH ever upgrades to HD they can be added again ... for CW HD perhaps by adding just the one for one's own time zone.

20. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    I had them but dropped them about a year ago precisely because they weren't in HD. I would have gladly kept them had they beeen offered in HD.