1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which pole?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cbhpi, Apr 23, 2012.

1. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    Which pole would be better for mounting an AU9-S-SWM 5 LNB dish - a 12 foot, 1.9" OD sch 40 steel pipe, or a 12 foot, 2" OD, 9 gauge steel tube. I'm not sure, but I think the sch 40 is thicker, and, therefore, sturdier, but the outside diameter is not big enough - right?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

Right!! 2" OD

3. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Mount - 2", Pole, 6' (72") Length, 16ga Gal. Steel

Directv's spec for tech's.

4. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    I need the extra height. If the height is doubled, does the gauge need to be doubled?

5. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    When you are trying to hit a satellite 22,000 miles away the difference between a 6ft pole vs a 12ft pole is not that much. If you cant get signal with a 6 ft pole you might want to rethink your tv provider unless you are trying to clear a building or something that will not grow. Im not sure the exact difference but your talking just a degree or maybe 2 in elevation you would gain.

6. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    It's a condo situation requiring a pole mount behind a staircase. I need to get over the first landing rail.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The 9 gage is actually thicker in this case. 9 gage is 0.148", the 1.9" od SCH40 pipe wall thickness is 0.145".

So I would definitely go with the 2" od 9 gage tube (this is actually more than double the thickness of the 2" od 16 gage pipe DirecTV recommends which is only 0.065" wall.

That said 12' tall is probably going to be swayed pretty easily by wind if it is exposed.

8. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks for your input! From everyone's responses, it seems I should just abandon the idea. I thought if I planted 3 feet of the pole, it would work.

9. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I have a 12' fence post buried 3.5' in the ground with no guy wires. It's been there since 2006 with no issues. I did take it down during the hurricane last year, but that's the only time I did that.

10. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    I just finished reading some pole mount installation instructions that recommend, in circumstances where a longer pole is needed, a long 3" OD pole, with one end threaded, with a 3" to 2" reducer, and then a shorter piece of 2" OD tubing. I'm encouraged again.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The problem is that there's no standard threading on 2" tubing. At some point you need a solid connection from the pipe to the tubing and they don't make fittings for that. Absent mounting struts, you're depending a lot on the slip-on sleeve.

You could have something welded and cold galvanized but it likely won't be cheap. While you're at it, make sure they weld a couple of lugs on the section of pipe that is going to be in the ground (and galvanize those welds too) so that the pole won't spin in in the hole.

12. ds2992

ds2992 Mentor

Feb 8, 2012
    I have done what your suggesting with the larger post and reducer. It works very well. The larger diameter post will be significantly stiffer. You can get them from plumbing suppliers. also the reducer. what you will need is a 3 inch ID to a 2 inch ID reducer with a 3 inch long nipple and you will then need to cut the elbow off the mounting arm that comes with the dish and stuff that inside the 2 inch ID nipple and secure it in place with tech screws. this is called a sleeve in the business. It is a bit of work but you will have a very stiff mount.

13. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks for everyone's input.

14. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    What about holding the slip on sleeves with some automotive exhaust claps? might not be pretty but, in the end isn't the goal to get the picture on the tv? just an idea

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Muffler clamps won't fit around the sleeve as it has the bolt flanges sticking out.