Which receiver is best out of these?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by AJ2086, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ2086

AJ2086 Godfather

Jun 1, 2002
    OK I'm trying to find a good receiver for under 70 bucks. Now which of these do you recomend? Anyone have these? They good? They suck?

Samsung: SIR-S60W Receiver

Sony: SAT-B65 Receiver

RCA: DRD430RG Receiver

Hughes: GAEBO Receiver

Philips: DSX5353 Receiver

Now which one has more features, etc.

2. timf

timf Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 21, 2002
    I would recommend either the Hughes GAEBO or the Sony B65. Both are the same receiver, just with different branding. They are the fastest series of receiver I have ever used, and have a nice program guide.

3. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I would highly recommend one that you don't have on here. The Sony W60 Ultimatetv receiver. It is only $34.50 after rebate. Here is a link to the item and the dealer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1356775785

It is an awesome unit. It is a dual tuner PVR and receiver in one unit. To learn more about Ultimatetv here is a link:

www.ultimatetv.com

I highly recommend a PVR in your setup. It will totally change the way you watch tv. There is a $9.95 monthly fee for the Ultimatetv service, which in my opinion is well worth it.

For $34.50, you can't go wrong.

4. timf

Apr 21, 2002
    Sorry, but I could never recommend the UltimateTV.

Moderator at the TiVo Community Forums
    Owner: 6 TiVos: 1 SVR2000, 1 DSR6000, 3 SAT-T60, 1 Series 2

5. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Tim,

I visited your site (www.tivofan.com). It is great. You almost have me convinced to switch teams! The main reason I didn't my Directivo at first was that both tuners were not activated, and that was my main reason for getting a PVR. I am not sorry that I went with UTV, as it has been a great addition to my DTV setup. When the Series 2 Directivo is released, that may change.

I don't want to ask what you don't like about UTV. Everyone has their preference and the flame wars and comparisons have been done to death on the other forums. I personally have liked both of my UTV units and have never had a problem in any way.
    I made the UTV recommendation for the original poster based on his wish to get a good reciever for under $70. If nothing else, without activating UTV service, the Sony UTV makes a good basic reciever with pause and replay and Dolby Digital sound.

Keep up the good work.

6. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I love my sony w60's...

7. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Tim,

Why would you say that? What's wrong with UTV?? Mine is great.

8. timf

Apr 21, 2002
    It a brand loyalty issue, primarily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.