Which Remote Is The Worst Remote You've Ever Used?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Rich, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We all have a lot of remotes, can you say which one gave you the most trouble, which one you disliked the most?

Rich

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    When we were growing up my kid sister was the remote and the one I disliked the most. She never could follow simple commands and was always complaining.

Eva, TheRatPatrol and lparsons21 like this.
  3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    My parents old RCA sonic remote. I think it only had 4 buttons? Channel up/down, volume up/down. I think you would press and hold the volume up button to turn it on, and the volume down button to turn it off? But the worse thing was when the phone rang it would change the channel.

I had a Memorex programmable remote in the 80’s but it could only hold so many IR commands, and it was wide and hard to hold.

I’m not a huge a fan of the Genie remotes, I liked the old brick ones better, I like dedicated buttons.

I have two Harmony remotes (650/665) that I use for everything, one in the living room and one in the master bedroom.

And I also don’t mind the Apple TV remote. :)

LOL. My older brother and sister were the remotes as well, by the time I got old enough they had a remote.

4. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I bought a universal RCA remote for my friend. We opened the packaging. Put in the batteries and pointed the remote to an off brand tv. It was not an HDTV or 4K tv of the last few years. It must have programmed itself and turned the TV on and off. It changed the channels with no effort. I think it cost less than $20 bucks from Rite Aid or Walmart.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

5. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    My aunt had a tv with a rubber ball hooked to the tv with a long hose. You changed the channel by squeezing the rubber ball. You still had to go to the tv to power it up or down, or adjust the volume.

ericknolls likes this.
  6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wasn't a fan of the Genie remotes when they came out and they still have things that could be fixed. I think the remotes for the 24s are the best remotes I've ever used for that sort of TV viewing. And I would put the Genie remotes right behind the 24 remotes. Yeah, they could be better, but you can say that about just about every remote.

Yup, for streaming, I don't mind the Apple TV remote either. It could be better, it could be a bit bigger and have a few more buttons on it. I do find the fingerpad easy to use when I need it. Don't have that much of a need for it.

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Of all the current remotes I have the AppleTV one is at the bottom of the list. Too small, in the dark you can’t tell if you have it turned the right way and that blasted trackpad is way too sensitive IMO.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The Function remote finally arrived yesterday. Another black remote with black buttons. That disturbs me. It could be backlit but it isn't. That's my major complaint, so far. Aside from not being able to see the buttons in the dark, it seems to be a well thought out remote. I did not have to program the TV set or the AVR, the remote did it by itself...don't know how that happens, don't really care, it's pretty neat. Lots of buttons, it does have a Menu button just like the ATV remotes have. Took a few minutes to figure out which button does what and how they relate to the dedicated remotes.

The only thing missing from the Function remote is the fingerpad, I did miss that at first but I adjusted as the evening went by. All in all, it's a good remote at a more than reasonable price. For the folks that can't stand the best streaming box remote I've ever used this should be something they could use. It's a very responsive remote, the buttons are laid out in a way that reminds me of the Fire TV remotes.

It's a lot bigger than the dedicated remotes but I can see some people making the same remarks about not being able to tell which way is up and the remote getting lost easily that are made about the normal ATV remotes. It is different but I can see the same complaints popping up about it.

I'm gonna keep using it for a while, see if I can truly substitute it for the normal remote. I'd recommend it to anyone that is not thrilled with the ATV remotes.

Lloyd, there is a way in the settings to turn down the sensitivity on the fingerpad. Try setting it to the lowest setting, see if that helps. I had problems with it until I was told to use the settings to slow the pad down. Once I found out how to do that I began to enjoy the remote.

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yeah, I have mine set to the lowest setting. Still a PITA!

Thanks for the review. I’m disappointed that it is yet another remote that is not backlit. And it is lacking Siri support which would be an issue for me.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I forgot about Siri. Yes, that's an issue. At least the Menu button is outlined in white.

Rich

11. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I see it has “channel” up down buttons, I wonder if those work like regular channel up/down buttons?

BUTTON REMOTE FOR APPLE TV

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. I have no idea. Trying to figure out where I could try it. It says "Remote Set Up/Program Up & Down" next to that button. I don't see "channels". I'll try to remember to check that out, just tried it in several places and I don't see anything happening, perhaps there's a manual...here: These buttons allow you to program your Button Remote at set up. You can switch to the upper or lower program when the user is watching a live TV program. If the program is not live, you will have to confirm that you want to return to live TV before switching. This feature works on select Apple TV apps such as Apple Music.
    Here's a link to what passes for a manual: Button Remote for Apple TV - Support

The remote comes programmed for ATVs and Samsung TVs, for some reason it also controls my Sony AVR.

Pretty neat, a lot easier to use in daylight.

Rich

13. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    So do those buttons change channels, or what does this mean?

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    From what I've read that particular button is used for programming. Not changing channels and I have to ask, what channels are you talking about? I know Roku has said for years it has over 2000 channels (or words to that effect) and that always puzzled me. They think of Netflix as a "channel". I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that. I think of it as a "site". To me, channels have numbers and aren't sites.

Rich

15. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    On a TV or maybe a streaming app that uses channel numbers?

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nope, I don't see any buttons for that. Kinda surprising what with all the cable replacement services out there. But, if they were gonna worry about that they'd have to put a number pad on the remote, no?

Rich

17. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Interesting they didn’t make those buttons do other things besides just programming.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I didn't see anything else the button could do. Not much programming to do. It's a nice remote, I've been using it for a few days now.

For the few fumble fingered folks that can't finagle the finger pad fully the Function remote is a fine substitute (see how many "fs" I managed to get into that sentence?). I'm gonna dedicate that sentence to Lloyd.

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Dedicate all you want! :)

I’m almost all in on the FireTV these days. Better remote and quicker at most things than the ATV4K! And having OTA DVR integrated makes it much better.

Never thought I’d prefer the FireTV to the ATV!

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm gonna have to do a search and find those posts where you came to an entirely different opinion. Because of that argument I took a longer look at my Cube (the new second gen Cube) and gave up on it. I said you were right then and I'll stick to that opinion. You wouldn't happen to remember which thread that was?

Rich