1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which satellite provider would you pick?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Chris Blount, Apr 27, 2006.

Which satellite provider would you pick?

1. DirecTV

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. Dish Network

152 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. Both

339 vote(s)
    68.5%
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Let's say that you never had a small dish system before. Which satellite provider would you pick if you were in the market for satellite TV? Try to be objective and not automatically pick your current provider.

For those who don't have a small dish system now or got one in the past month, please cast your vote as well.

2. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    I would definitely pick DirecTV. The reason I switched to it from Cablevision 4 years ago was the fact that they had a year long feud with the YES Network. I am a devoted NY Yankees fan, and immediately switched to D* to get the games.

I love satellite TV, and I would never (as long as I had the option) go back to Cablevision, so I still cannot consider DISH, they STILL DO NOT provide YES (really unbelievable to me).

The other raging arguments (over HD-Lite, amount of HD channels, etc.) is second in importance to me at this time, as I believe that the next 12 months will bring about a huge change and increase in HD programming.

3. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Had Direct for 2 years Dish for 9. Locals have never been an issue for me. The Dish 1000 and HD are killer apps. (the 622 is a bonus.):D

4. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Well, I really don't know a whole lot about D*, but I actually had my HD set before I had satellite, so HD offerings were and are important to me.

If I were to have to decide today as a NEW customer, I'd still have to pick DISH. They have more HD offerings right now and that would help me make better use of the HD set that I already have.

Commitments and things like that don't really bother me, because I'm not one to change providers for anything on a whim. ;)

I guess since I'm a newcomer to satellite, different things sway my opinion than would most others.

:)

5. trafter

trafter Cool Member

Dec 11, 2003
    DISH has an mpeg4 HD DVR. If I have to make the decision today - that rules

6. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    I've had Dish for some time. My son has D*. Although I've read lots of posts about the differences, I haven't seen them personally. I've seen HD on his system and on mine. I couldn't see a difference. If they were side by side, maybe I could see a difference. I don't see a big difference in price, quality, or features.

HDImpatient has the best way to decide... D* has a feature that he values and E* doesn't. In my case, I signed with Dish because I had was frustrated with my cable company and discovered the DVR (a 501). At the time, you could only get one for D* by purchasing it for a few hundred bucks. E* let me lease it. That's how I got started with E*.

Why do I stay? There's no compelling reason to move. I'm a sports fan, but not enough of one to need Sunday Ticket. There are problems with E* DVRs, but D* DVRs have their own set of problems. Am I loyal to E* ... not in the least. They sell me a service, and if I can get one more tailored to my needs I'll move. But, unless Charlie throws a rock through my front window, I'll probably stay with E* for the indeterminate future.

7. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    when i joined dish 2 years ago from cable, it was a BIG jump, especially with all the BS advertising the cable co's put out regarding satellites and reception.

I ultimately chose dish because they had a higher cutomer rating than directv, one of my friends had dish and they had nothing bad to say AND dish was the only one at the time to have my locals.

I'd agree now though that they have better HD and equipment as well.

8. skidog

skidog Godfather

Dec 2, 2004
    I chose E*. When I went with satellite a couple years ago I called to get D* but was told it was not available in my area so I had no choice. I don't know if it's still like that now though.

9. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I chose Dish about 9 and a half years ago because Dish had Star Trek Voyager on Upn on the Superstations. Our local cable company had just cut out the local Upn from Houston and we were already hooked on the show so I picked Dish.

Funny thing it runs in the family. My dad bought his first color tv/ record player/ radio console back in 67 because of the origional Star Trek. He told the salesman ;" IF you can get this tv into my house and install it by the time Star Trek come on tonight I'll buy it right now. " Well my daddy paid over $1000.00 for that console and all three of us were sitting so close to the tv we all had headaches. It was great! So new technology and Star Trek run in the family.

I also had Primestar first before Dish and I liked the color menus and guides that Dish had vs the Primestar interface. Had Directv for a year in 2003 as well as Dish and I clearly could see artifacts in the Directv picture like blurring , macroblocking, pixelations etc. Kept Dish and dumped Directv. I won't go back either unless they offer me my locals in hd and the picture improves and the PRICE goes down. We all know that isn't going to happen so DISH it stays.

Dish wins hands down in both pricing , picture quality on both hd and sd, more hd channels and since the 942 a great hd dvr interface with namebased recording features just like Tivo. Oh and they already have a mpeg4 hd dvr while Directv is still waiting to bring thiers to the market. Oh and I Own two of the Dish vip 622 dvrs.:D

10. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    I picked D* in retrospect, for a 2 room DVR system (not including HD) it is a much better value than E*. As far as content for HD, I'd say they are tied. Since E* only has the Vooms over D*.

11. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Had Dish for about 6 years. Switched to D* in January. Hacked Tivos are great. I'm lucky to have all HD locals available OTA on the HR10-250. The only thing I miss about Dish is the standard UHF remote. PQ is a wash for me. The only HD I wish we had more of was sports.

12. GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1 Legend

Dec 6, 2005
    Knowing what I know today, this would be a hard choice.

I voted for E* in a close decision because they offer more of what I am interested in having in HD.

NFL Ticket was a big selling point for D*, but I use HD year 'round. Also, I am a season ticket holder and am out of the house on at least 8 Sundays during the NFL season. So NFL Ticket would only be useful for me for the other 9 weeks.

13. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I'd go with E*, only because of HD content, but my best guess is that in a couple of years, it will be "none of the above." As we get more HD programming on the broadcast channels, I'm planning to jump ship and go with the HT PC I've set up. Has better OTA HD reception than my 942 and I don't have to worry about upgrade issues.

John

14. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    For now, I'd choose Dish for better public interest channels, HBO Comedy, Gol TV, and a few others. With the demise of PBS Kids, DirecTV has fewer exclusives that I would be interested in.

15. chewey

chewey Legend

Jul 28, 2004
    Until Direct offers an MPEg4 dvr, it's got to be Dish. It's a joke what Direct is charging for the alreay obsolete HD-Tivo, and to lease no less.

16. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I would still go with D*. I cannot believe the extra fees E* charges for almost everything... how can you have a service plan you pay for and still charge for service calls? Not to mention having to pay for suspending your services.

17. Equus911

Equus911 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2005
    I have to go with D*. I've had E* for 5 years and liked it fine, but I'm building a new house and will be making the switch to HD. The HDTV programming seems similar, and I have an HD Tivo a friend gave me and that's the kicker. Being able to download your shows from the Tivo to your computer and burn. I got really annoyed with Dish when they started encrypting their program files on the DVR so you couldn't save them anywhere. So, D* it will be.

18. Dax

Dax AllStar

May 15, 2004
    Kentucky
    Several years ago when St. Louis lost their UPN affiliate, I wanted to be able to see Star Trek: Voyager. I signed up with DISH because I could get UPN in their Superstation package which D* does not offer. Ironically, St. Louis now has a UPN affiliate, but we need a second dish to get it with E*. And there's no more Star Trek.

If I had to choose again, I'd still probably pick DISH. The biggest programming differences between the two seem to be sports, which we rarely watch anyway.

19. lsh1885

lsh1885 New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I have Dish Network now, but had Directv in the past. One of the things I have liked about Dish Network over Directv is the hardware was cheaper and the start up costs were less, because you had to buy all the equipment at Directv as they did not have a lease option. I do miss NFL Sunday Ticket though.

20. ApK

ApK Icon

Mar 6, 2006
    Well, a month or so ago, I HAD never had a small dish system, and I DID have to choose between Dish and DTV, and I chose DTV. So far I'm happy with it. Here were my top 5 factors:
    1. Friends at work have DTV and like it.
    2. Verizon gives a discounted price for DTV
    3. It had all the stations I wanted.
    4. It had a good initial deal with the free DVR and all.
    5. For some reason, Dish Network requires 2 dishes per house in my area, DTV only uses one.

ApK