1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which switch with 4 DVRs for Whole Home?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by wdhendrick, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1 of 16
    wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    As the title suggests, I'm upgrading to the Whole Home DVR service with Interest connectivity. I currently have 4 DVRs (3 HR20-700s and 1 HR21-700) and a slimline dish, which has 4 outputs going to a 4x8 switch in my basement. The above set up works fine, using all ports on that switch. When the tech arrived last Friday, he said he'd need to run a new line and replace the LNB. I asked why he couldn't just use one of the 4 already there and he went on to say he was worried about corrosion or other non-sense. I was said fine, do what you need to do. When he realized my basement was finished and he didn't want to pop 50 ceiling tiles to run new cable, he said my lines were probably fine, but that now I'd need a 16 SWiM switch since I have 4 DVRs. He said the SWiM 16 using all 4 of my existing inputs and that I'd need that one since I have 4 DVRs and need another spot for the DECA to my router. I asked why that was since he was only using 1 line (hence the SWiM part) and he said even though you are using just 1 line that he needs to 'cap off' the other line on the switch - basicly saying the switch would need to have 2 outlets per receiver or DECA, regardless than only 1 is running to each receiver - is that correct? They didn't have the switch and had to order - it's supposed to be in today and they are now coming out again this Saturday to install. While he was there, and before he said he needed the 16 switch, I asked about if he would be changing out my receivers. He said no, to which I replied I wouldn't mind if he did if it was for the new HR24-500s.... he said they weren't any better than what I had. We politely went back and forth for a minute before I gave up - I wasn't going to argue with him about it since it wasn't part of the ticket. However, as he was leaving, I asked again about swapping them out since he had to come back again and he said yeah, he's just gonna swap each one out to, so it looks like I might be getting 4 HR24-500s AND a 16 switch....

I'm not complaining if this goes now as planned, however, wouldn't this have worked with the SWiM 8 switch?

2. Jun 2, 2010 #2 of 16
    dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    They're really not installing SWM8s these days... the 'normal' install is a SWM LNB which will support up to 8 tuners, and does indeed only use one coax downstream to a splitter (although its not uncommon to leave the existing coax in place and have 3 'spares').

The SWM8 and the SWiM-16 both use all 4 coaxes from the same LNB you currently have. Since you're already wired for it, you lucked out... now you can add another receiver without major surgery.

Good luck with the 24s.

3. Jun 2, 2010 #3 of 16
    wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Wouldn't the SWM8 have worked though, which would be fed by my 4 lines coming in and then have 1 line going to each DVR and 1 going to the router, thereby using 5 of the 8 available going out and still have 3 left (which would of course need to be capped off)?

4. Jun 2, 2010 #4 of 16
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    4 DVRs = 8 tuners, so either a SWMLNB or SWM8 is maxed.
    As for DECAs, they don't count since they don't use any of the SWiM.

5. Jun 2, 2010 #5 of 16
    dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    They're not currently installing SWM8s unless you have to support multiple dishes. The 'Broadband DECA' doesn't count as a tuner. So, yes, a SWM8 switch would have worked. So would a SWM LNB, using only 1 wire (but he'd have to figure out which wire ;)).

6. Jun 2, 2010 #6 of 16
    mtm

mtm Mentor

Oct 22, 2007
    I must be confused on this as well, I thought the SWM meant that you only needed 1 wire from the switch to each DVR, but would still have 2 tuners. If he has SWM with 4 DVR's, doesn't he only need 1 wire to each DVR?

7. Jun 2, 2010 #7 of 16
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    swm uses 1 single wire to run both tuners on a dvr.
    4 dvr's is 8 tuners but only needs 4 wires.
    deca is carried on the wire but does not utilize any of the swm channels.

8. Jun 3, 2010 #8 of 16
    wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    So why would I need a 16 SWM?

9. Jun 3, 2010 #9 of 16
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    4 DVRs + one more receiver would require a SWiM-16, since this is more than 8 tuners.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    With four DVRs and no other receivers, you would not need an SWM16. Either an SWM LNB, or an external SWM8 would serve your needs.

I don't think DirecTV would install an SWM8, they would use the SWM LNB.

In that case, there would be one active coax line from the dish to your current switch location. The switch would be replaced with a splitter, and one coax to each of your DVRs would be connected to the splitter.

As others have noted, using 4 Coax to 4 DVRs is still using 8 SWM channels, so you would have no room for expansion. If they do give you an SWM16, then you have room for growth.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Why would one need a SWiM-16? Why does one need a fast car? Not for getting from point A to point B, but for doing so in style. :)

12. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Because your installer wants to use the existing 4 wires and LNB. It's the path of least resistance. :p He doesn't want to/doesn't know how to identify one line of the 4 to use for a SWM LNB, which is what he should be using.

Hint: At the dish, disconnect all 4 coaxes, on one put a barrel and 75 ohm terminator. At the basement end, measure center conductor to shield resistance with an ohmmeter. The one that isn't 'infinite' is the one. He probably should have a more sophistocated way to do it, but this works.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm not disagreeing with you, perhaps a SWiM LNB should have been used, but heck, almost everyone's happy, right? The DIRECTV accountants probably aren't, but the customer has more capacity and a more flexible system.

14. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I absolutely agree... I told the OP above he lucked out. But he keeps looking the gift horse in the mouth :D

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Be sure to disconnect all 4 coax from anything they are connected to before doing this!

16. wdhendrick

wdhendrick Cool Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Not so much looking the gift horse in the mouth as frustrated that I took a day off work so they could install, and then he says he can't (even though from my understanding he could have) and then had to wait another week to have them come out again. In the end it'll be worth it though, especially if he swaps out my 3 HR20-700s and 1 HR21-700 for 4 new HR24-500s as he promised on last visit.... :lol: Afterall, that would be easier, right? I mean, he wouldnt' have to install individual DECAs at each DVR then... :grin: