1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Universal Remote will control multiple DVRs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bpratt, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1 of 21
    bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I have 2 HR21-700 and an HR10-250 in a closet controlled using IR repeaters. Using an HDMI switch and an HDMI Splitter, I can watch either HR21 or the HR10 from 4 different TVs in 4 different rooms in my house. In each of the rooms I currently have a URC-WR7 universal remote. It works great for controlling the first HR21 and the HR10, because they each have a code defined for the remote. The second HR21 (the one set to AV1) does not have a code so I had to program each button on the remote in order to control it.

The problem is that the second HR21 is very likely to do two or more button presses each time a button is pressed on the remote. I would like to find a universal remote that has an IR code included for up to 3 HRxx DVRs.

I want a remote that does not have to sit in a charger when not in use. I want it to have the 4 colored buttons and a couple of others I can program for other functions. (I currently use the "prev ch" button on the WR7 for list and the "Fav" button to control the HDMI switch). I also need a remote that will control 7 devices.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Nov 6, 2011 #2 of 21
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The particular remote I have won't meet all your needs, but I have a Harmony that controls my HR22 and HR20 over IR in my entertainment center. I have one receiver on 0001 and the other on 0003. The only catch is that -100s at least only use the other codes after bootup.

3. Nov 6, 2011 #3 of 21
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Any Harmony

4. Nov 6, 2011 #4 of 21
    bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Any Harmony really? The only Harmony I see with the four colored buttons that doesn't require a charger is the 360.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #5 of 21
    rainydave

rainydave AllStar

May 28, 2006
    My 700 doesn't require a charger. I swap rechargeable AAs into it.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #6 of 21
    bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    The 700 would almost work for me, but I need to control 7 devices, the 700 will only control 6.

7. Nov 6, 2011 #7 of 21
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I have several different aftermarket remotes, but none with your exact needs. You might look through this recent thread for one that does everything you're wanting [link].

8. Nov 6, 2011 #8 of 21
  9. Nov 6, 2011 #9 of 21
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    ... also several JP1 remotes. PM me if you want to buy a harmony 360 or JP1 remote with colored buttons and pre-loaded with all 8 DirecTV code sets.

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    My 650 has the colored buttons.

11. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I have a Harmony One and it has the 4 colored buttons right there in the display. In fact, it's much better than DirecTV's original remote!

Attached Files:

12. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    My Harmony One controls the following in my living room:

• HR20-700
    • HR22-100
    • HR20-700
    • Onkyo 5008 A/V receiver
    • LG Blu-Ray Player
    • Sony 300-disc CD changer
    • Samsung 67" HDTV
    Note that I control three DirecTV HD DVRs with this one remote.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You're not looking hard enough then. And why the aversion to rechargeable? You like spending a lot of money on batteries?

14. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    I'd recommend some of URC's PC programmable remote like the MX-900 I own. It appears to have all 8 ID's in it's data base, it can import CCF codes, it runs off of rechargeable AAA's, and the colored buttons can be assigned to the display. Heck, I believe their latest model even sports hard colored buttons.

EXCEPT

They don't like to sell these remotes to end users. You can find them on the open market, but you must make sure the seller will supply the live update version of the PC s/w for programming it. If you buy it from a non-authorized dealer, they won't honor the warranty.

15. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    He just said he wanted a remote that doesn't need to sit in a dock. I can understand that. For instance, the MX-900's and MX-850's I own will run for months off of rechargeable NIMH hybrid AAA batteries. They have very low power, low resolution B&W displays, however.

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I just don't see the problem with a remote that has to go in a dock once every week or so. You put it in before you go to bed. You wake up and grab it and you're good for another week.

17. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    As others have said, the 700 can use alkalines. It's also 8 device if you use myharmony.com to configure it. I only had to recharge my 700 about once a month. You just plug it in the wall since it has no cradle, but I could buy alkalines every month if I had money to burn.

I agree with the desire for hard colored buttons. Wasting a whole screen for them on the One would be unacceptable to me.

OP hasn't said so, but I think budget may also be an issue since he is looking to replace remotes in 4 rooms. That's nearly $700 worth of One's or $1000 worth of 900s (URC or Logitech). Even 700's would be over $400. A 4-room JP1 solution would only be $90.

18. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    Oh, just a few things off the top of my head...

a) Depending on the remote, it may be significantly more power hungry and need to go in the dock every night or two.

b) The dock is just another electronic piece of crud littering every room you want to place a remote in - adding to the general fire hazard that our personal electronic devices have become.

c) If people in the house forget to recharge it when it needs it, then you can't use your TV.

d) Eventually any battery dies, and it doesn't get cheaper or easier to replace some AAA's

e) If a AAA powered remote runs out of juice, it's trivial to grab a spare set and swap it in while your other set recharges.

Here's a picture of the MX-780 (the URC remote with the color buttons):

[​IMG]

And here's what the older MX-900 (that I own) looks like:

[​IMG]

In the case of the MX-900 the color buttons (and other special functions) would need to appear in the 6 button customizable area up top.

19. MikeSRC

MikeSRC New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Hmmn, that MX-780 picture looks familiar. :lol:

For those interested, the MX-780's programming capabilities are identical to the MX-900. You do have two sizes of text available on the 780, so you don't have the MX-900's seven character text restriction. Also, the dedicated record and color key buttons on the MX-780 are a plus with DIRECTV.

Using an RF base station with any current MX remote would remove the need to use other remote addresses, but would certainly add cost to the solution. I have three HR21's on the same ID at home.

20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    So? It charges while you're asleep... Even if it has to charge every night, which is a HUGE stretch, you do it while you sleep.

Do like I did, put it behind your TV. My dock is 100% unseen, no clutter at all.

Same goes for changing batteries, if someone forgets you can't use your device.

A replacement battery for a Harmony remote costs $10. I've had my 900 for almost 2 years and not once have I had to replace the battery.

This is about the only edge I'll concede to batteries and just barely. My original remote is not but maybe 3ft away if I lose charge and it takes less than a minute to get enough charge on my 900 to shutdown for the night.