White Sox-Rays is on!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Eksynyt, May 31, 2008.

1. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    The game is not on EI but it is on 640 and in HD on 640-1. I guess they forgot to black it out. The game started during FOX's window so it's a D* mistake...this time for the better. Awesome because it is a good game.

2. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    I am on hold with Directv to report the mistake. Don't worry, there should be plenty of time for the game to go extra innings. (^_~)

3. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Gone now....

4. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    I was just teasing - I would not waste my time calling Directv.

More power to HD sports anytime/anywhere - no blackouts!

5. JoeS

JoeS AllStar

Jan 24, 2008
    Its the replay thats blacked out now (10PM EST). The live game was in the clear because CSN started coverage at 7PM EST. They had other programming prior to 7PM even though it appears the game started at 6:10PM. So it sucks for local Chicago folk, but it benefits us EI nuts who need to see every pitch of every game.

6. Jun 1, 2008 #6 of 13
    Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    People in Chicago can see the game regardless because it is on their RSN IIRC. Also, I'm pretty sure the game started before 7PM.

7. Jun 1, 2008 #7 of 13
    rkunces

rkunces Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    It started at 6 but CSN Chicago did not start its coverage till 7est. I know this because I was watching the channel since 6 est. For that 1 hour they played pregame shows and the studio announcers said the reason they couldn't go live was because of the Fox Sunday Window which ends at 7pm est or 6 pm cst.

8. Jun 1, 2008 #8 of 13
    bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    That's correct. The game cannot be shown until the FOX window closes.

The Rays are doing their Saturday night games at 6 PM as they have post-game concerts scheduled. (They also did concerts last year, and things ran VERY late a few times with long game times.)

While it is helping attendance at those games a bit, it is screwing with televising the games (the Rays themselves aren't even televising them at all). Some of the visiting teams affected by this have asked MLB for waivers so that they can show the entire game, but MLB denied them.

9. Jun 1, 2008 #9 of 13
    rkunces

rkunces Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    This Fox contract for the Saturday window is awful. All of this would be solved if the out of market games were offered to the rest of the country via EI or MLB.TV.

10. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    I hate the Fox window but it's not going away.

In lieu of that I wish MLB would just prohibit MLB teams form playing on Saturday before 7PM East Coast Time, other than the 3 Regional Fox Games.

11. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Not going to happen either. If the owners (i.e., MLB) wanted to do this to themselves, they would. They've gotten mostly there, anyway -- there are far fewer Saturday afternoon games than there used to be. Which many of us find somewhat sad -- Saturday afternoon baseball has a long tradition.

Given they have contracted for FOX to have an exclusive window for their games, a rational solution to my mind would be:

(1) Allow Saturday games starting at 1 PM or earlier to be shown via Extra Innings (as they are allowed on MLB.TV). The "all afternoon" FOX window made sense when FOX actually had both early and late games depending on region; it does not any longer.

(2) Allow Extra Innings subscribers to see the FOX games that are out-of-market. They will still have exclusivity in that we have to watch FOX if we want to watch baseball at those times.

12. STEVED21

STEVED21 Godfather

Feb 6, 2006
    Fox is sly about this. They announce a start time of 3:55pm EDT so the game covers both the 1 & 4pm windows. This way they use the "all afternoon" time. At least here in NY we usually get one of the teams playing at 1 so we do have baseball to watch.

13. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Agreed it's a very reasonable solution. Hopefully something like this could be implemented by the PTB of MLB.