1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who do you think won the Dish/Viacom dispute?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Chris Blount, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Dish Network

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Viacom

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Both

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Neither

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Don't Care

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. I think the whole thing was just plain dumb and shouldn't have happened

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001

2. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I think they both took a hit on this one. That said...I still side with Charlie.

3. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I think Viacom won because they got more out of the deal: Nicktoons, and tearing up the separate contracts on CMT, Spike, and TVLand.

But Charlie did get the rate increase that he felt was fair. So for money's sake I guess that's a big win there.

It was never released as to whether Viacom's CBS stations were separated from the contract, but that was something Charlie wanted as well...

Viacom still blows for getting away for that bad pr against dish. They definitely should be having to do some promos for dish to make up for that bs...

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Neither side wins. Both sides played dirty during this dispute. Viacom had the crawls and the vicious ads, and already had negative PR. Dish Network will face a increased churn rate during this and next quarter that will be attibuted to this dispute.

5. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Viacom won in that they didn't lose ANY critical issues that they demanded.

E* lost the ability to reject NickToons, the ability to keep CMT and Spike separate, the ability to renegotiate CBS separate, AND they had to tear up their antitrust lawsuit that had "merit".

Viacom only had to give up the DBS premium. They got everything else they wanted (and E* got most of the heat for the signals going dark). Let the pillaging continue....

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If DISH got ANYTHING better than the deal that tehy were offered before the shutdown they won. The problem is that have no idea if they did.