Who Doesn't Have A Cell Phone?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sep 4, 2019 #1 of 83
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm thinking "smart phone" but I pirated the question and left it the way it was posed. So, who doesn't have a cell phone? We dumped our landlines years ago and only have smart phones now. Don't see a savings, do see a computer in my pocket and that's a big deal to me.

Rich

2. Sep 4, 2019 #2 of 83
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    We have cable for internet and phone......cell phone only used when traveling. Directv subscriber for TV

3. Sep 4, 2019 #3 of 83
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    My sister doesn't have a cell phone. They live in a very rural area; no service from any carrier. 100 miles to the nearest traffic light. (They also don't have Amazon Prime because they can't get anything with 1- or 2-day shipping. More like 5 days).

4. Sep 4, 2019 #4 of 83
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    All 4 of us in this house have a cell phone (3 android, 1 flip), with another EXTRA (also flip), and a home phone over cell adapter, AND a Voip that the wife and me use as our home phone.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  5. Sep 4, 2019 #5 of 83
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Come on Rich, everyone has a cell phone nowadays..........oh wait..........maybe not. :)

Everyone I work with and friends with all have one.

I have a friend that still has a flip phone, but wants to eventually get a smart phone.

Ok sorry I know the question is who doesn’t have a cell phone, but I can’t think of anyone.

BTW, will we ever run out of phone numbers?

6. Sep 4, 2019 #6 of 83
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I suppose it is possible - after all, we did add other 8xx area codes when 800 was not enough.

Rich likes this.
  7. Sep 4, 2019 #7 of 83
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The numbering system is good until at least 2049.
    The demand for new numbers has fallen over the past few years. Ask that question 20 years ago and people were panicking due to the demand for for new number ranges.

I am seeing more people keep their phone numbers when they move, using numbers that are "long distance" from the communities that they move to. But "long distance" is becoming meaningless as people use cell phones and VOIP services that don't have a "long distance" charge for calls placed. (My home phone is VOIP with no long distance charges and while I ported over my old landline number, I could take that number anywhere by simply moving the ATA.)

As far as the cell phone ... my wife refuses to have one. She had a flip phone for about a year and refused to keep it charged. But I have two cell phones (private and work phones) so that helps the average.

Demographics of Mobile Device Ownership and Adoption in the United States
    "The vast majority of Americans – 96% – now own a cellphone of some kind. The share of Americans that own smartphones is now 81%, up from just 35% in Pew Research Center’s first survey of smartphone ownership conducted in 2011."

98% of men, 95% of women, 99% of people 18-29 (with 96% if 18-29 having a smart phone).

That being said, it has become more difficult to buy a "feature phone" that was not a "smart phone".

Rich likes this.
  8. Sep 4, 2019 #8 of 83
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I figured the cell phone adoption rate would be high....didn't realize it was that high.

9. Sep 4, 2019 #9 of 83
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    When the wife and me moved to KC from NC, we have kept our old phone numbers (both cells and our Voip that all have 919 area code, while KC Ks is 913).

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I also have the 919 in the 802.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    We have a friend in Lawrence KS who didn't have a cell phone until recently - when he started job hunting. He also didn't have home internet (AFAIK) . And this guy has a Phd in Chemical Engineering .

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Looking at the statistics in the article I linked your friend is rare ... high income and high educated people are most likely to have a cell phone.

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Despite my mother's protests, we are now mobile-only after the move to Texas. I did keep the old California mobile phone numbers, however, I did set up Google Voice numbers to point to our mobile phone numbers. The Google Voice numbers are our "home" numbers, and the mobile numbers are our "cell" numbers. It is much easier to maintain a contact list on a web browser and have it update my mother's phone than it is under an old-fashioned wireless phone. Also, a smart phone is more than a phone. I live by my Google Calendar, plus there is GPS, audio and video player, email, etc. etc.

I've actually been mobile only since 2003. It made financial sense.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When Lloyd posed the question on another thread I couldn't think of anyone that didn't have one, but you never know...

Could we run out of phone numbers? Another good question that probably would not go over well as a thread. I have no idea.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Perhaps I should have said, "Who here doesn't have a cell phone?". I'm gonna be surprised if someone here says they don't have one.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's odd.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was hoping for reasons not to have a cell phone. Thought that would be interesting. We made the switch from landline to cell about the same time for the same reasons.

Rich

18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I still use a landline because our home is located in a dead zone. To receive a signal we have to go 70 feet to the rear of our house to use a mobile phone.

19. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Only a old school flipper here and it's in the car for emergencies. In the pub I own one of the vendors was shocked I didn't have a smart phone as they migrated their ordering system to an ap. Ended up changing vendors.

20. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    We both have smart phones but use them sparingly. Our landline is connected to three cordless phones.