1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has had the Live Buffer clear when it shouldn't?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mike Bertelson, Sep 29, 2007.

Who has had the Live Buffer clear when it shouldn't?

1. Yes, I've had the Live Buffer clear when it shouldn't.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I've never had the Live Buffer clear.

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I have had the Single Live Buffer (SLB) clear when returning to live TV from watching a recording.

For me the following are the conditions under which the SLB has cleared. For clarity I will refer to the tuners as 'A' & 'B' and doesn't apply to any physical tuner.

1. Tuner A on live TV with tuner B recording. Go to my list to watch a recorded show. Returned to live TV while tuner B is still recording and the SLB has cleared.

2. Tuner A on live TV with tuner B recording. Go to my list to watch a recorded show. Returned to live TV and tuner B has finished recording and the SLB has cleared.

3. Tuner A on live TV with tuner B idle. Go to my list to watch a recorded show. Tuner B starts recording. Returned to live TV and tuner B is still recording and the SLB has cleared.

4. Tuner A on live TV with tuner B idle. Go to my list to watch a recorded show. Tuner B starts recording. Returned to live TV and tuner B has stopped recording and the SLB has cleared.

5. Tuner A on live TV with tuner B idle. Go to my list to watch a recorded show. Returned to live TV and the SLB has cleared.

Each of these scenarios has happend either while watching the show actually being recorded on tuner B or one that was previously recorded.

There is every combination of HD & SD programing involved.

The buffer is always cleared to the point I returned to live TV.

Scenario 5 happens very rarely (only once in 0x18a). I have seen all scenarios in 0x18a.

SLB should never require a work-around. It should operate flawlessly and be completely transparent to viewer.

SLB is what makes the HR20 a DVR. Otherwise it's just a really expensive VCR.

If you've had this happen, try to include some info like how/when, -100 or -700, software version

Mike

HR20-700/0x18a not networked
    Magnavox 42MF231C/37 with both HDMI & Component having the issue(I don't think the TV or connection matters but it can't hurt)

2. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    bump :)

3. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    My old nemesis, the SLB not working. Everytime I start to feel comfortable and stop using record to ensure I have the live channel, bamm it erases it.

4. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I assume from your signature that it's still a problem in the current CE.

Has it been brought up in the latest issues thread?

Mike

5. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    No, I haven't been home long enough on this new one to look for it. Everything I watched since Fri night I have started a recording because I did not want to risk it. I will drop my guard this week and post if I see it again.

6. Oct 1, 2007 #6 of 19
    LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I have seen this problem on the current national release.

7. Oct 1, 2007 #7 of 19
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    As the original poster points out, there are several cases where the buffer clears even though you think it should not.

The underlying logic seems to be, the buffer is one thing, recording is another. So, buffering starts when a recording finishes, or when you go to live TV.

I do wish this could be changed but the workaround is, and always has been, to record a program instead of relying on the buffer. In truth, that's not too painful.

8. Oct 1, 2007 #8 of 19
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    It seems random but I think I have had all of these cases.

- Craig

9. Oct 1, 2007 #9 of 19
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    That's fine if there is something in particular I want to watch.

If I go back to live TV and I or someone else finds what's on interesting we may or may not be able to rewind.

If I'm watching previously recorded movie and the live channel has a couple of shows over that time frame, I'd have to record the all.

In one case you watch a previously recorded program with live TV buffering and the second tuner idle, it still clears when you return to live TV. This should never happen.

SLB is the one feature that should be flawless.

Mike

10. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Could this possibily be a sticky?

I don't know what qualifies but maybe if we can get enough info to help D* figure this out. Assuming that SLB is a priority at the moment.

Mike

11. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    SLB fails the test with this new CE 0x01A6. Very disappointing. I will resume my practice of recording everything again.

12. coacho

coacho Legend

Aug 21, 2007
    It amazing to me that I keep reading all the issues with the HR20 and still so many people seem to support it blindly.

I just don't have any issues with my HR10 and I am afraid to record anything on the HR20 unless I have it also set to record on the HR10.

I do appreciate the frank discussion and I am starting to understand why the focus on the wish list is so important. I sure hope D* listens to the patrons on this site before they decide to drop MPEG2.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It just happened to me today coming out of watching a recording.

14. ronrico51

ronrico51 AllStar

Feb 12, 2007
    Been happening a lot lately. Along with pixelation, crashes, problems with trick play. Sigh.

15. DrEricCarlson

DrEricCarlson Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    I have an example where I wasn't watching a previously recorded show. I had rewound from the live buffer to earlier in the show I was currently watching. While watching the live buffer both Tuner A and Tuner B had to change to start recording. As soon as both Tuner A and B changed my live buffer was dumped even though I was in the middle of playing it. I had not reached the end of the buffer it just dumped as soon as both tuners started to record leaving me to miss the end of the show I was watching.

-DrEric

16. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Add this to the scenarios when the live buffer clears when it shouldn't....

Recording #1 in progress.
    Watching live buffer, but at some point in time "behind live".
    DVR asks & is given permission to change channel to start 2nd recording.
    When 2nd recording is started, live buffer that you haven't finished watching is zapped.

Tivo (at least D* R10 boxes) correctly preserves the old "live buffer" until you stop watching it (or get to the end of it) so that you can allow scheduled recordings to happen and watch the live buffer up to the point where the tuner change for the 2nd recording happened.

17. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I answered no but this is probably because i don't do anything that would require the live buffer pause point to stick.

18. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    This wasn't about the pause point.

It's about the buffer dumping and not being able to rewind.

Mike

19. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Well it's back.

0x1BE dumps the live buffer nearly every time I watch a previously recorded show.

SLB should be inviolate.

What the heck is the HR20 if it can't maintain the one and only live buffer we have?

[​IMG]

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.