Who has wireless N equipment?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by Michael D'Angelo, May 12, 2008.

1. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    If you do what products do you have?

How well does it work for PC playback?

I am looking at the Linksys WRT600N and the WGA600N (for my one HR20 that is connected wireless with an Linksys WGA54G).

Thanks

2. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I just bought a WRT300N and WGA600N last week. From what I can tell things are better except for my local station HD playback.

3. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I have a Linksys WGA600N gaming adapter. But, it is connected to a wireless G router. So, my speed is a little better but not much. My next upgrade will be to a Wireless N router. I just have to wait and save.

4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I've got those (WRT600N & WGA600N) and they seem to work well. On the desktop can play the worst-case OTA mpeg2 with no problems at all.

Signal strength indications from the WGA600N adapters displayed as lower with the WRT600N router vs the cheaper WRT310N router, but the playback is better. :confused:
    Guess those are just relative numbers.

Placement of the WGA600N is critical. Simply moving the WGA off of the bottom shelf next to the HR20 and placing it on top of a floor speaker significantly increased the signal strength. LR get in the 70s and BR reads in the 50s, but it is farther away with walls in-between.

Note that if you want to take advantage of the dual radio (2.4 & 5 GHz) feature of the WGA600N then you will also need a dual radio router like the WRT600N that you mentioned.

Standard WRT310N wireless N routers or the like will operate on 2.4GHz-only. Sometimes other wireless devices that operate on this same frequency (phones, wireless mice, etc.) can interfere so the possible two bands is nice. I think it also can provide greater bandwidth. There's probably plenty of Amazon or Newegg reviews out there with good info.

My weak link is the laptop wireless N. It'll do acceptable satellite mpeg2 (e.g. HDNet) and great mpeg4, but stutters on the OTA mpeg2. Not sure what I can do about that.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Thanks for the help guys. I just order the Linksys WRT600N and Linksys WGA600N from newegg.com.

They had a pretty good combo price. Both unit plus shipping for $218.20.

6. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Wow, that is good. I got the 300N and the WGA600N for close to the same price from Circuit City.

7. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Sounds like a good deal. Only one adapter?

Recommend not even trying the setup CDs. Just log into the setup pages from a hard-wired connection and configure.

Rhetorical question - why are these router and adapter setup programs so very bad?

8. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    I plan on just logging into my router like I have always done. I don't know why the setup software is so bad. I have tried it use it before but I always had problems so I stopped.

9. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    I did use the software for the game adapter. The router stuff was nuts so I did it manually. Basically copied everything from my Linksys G router to the N. I wish they had a conversion program the same way Harmony does when you replace a remote so all of the work is done for you already.

10. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Yeah, I thought that when I replaced my WRT310N with the WRT600N that the new router might read the saved configuration file and set what it could and then you would just have to take care of the dual-band specific stuff. But of course their configuration files are not compatible. So I just took a snapshot of every configuration window and kept it handy in case I needed to refer to it while setting up the new router.

11. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    My plan is to do the basic setup and then for the open ports and things like that I need to setup I am going to connect my old router to my laptop with my wireless card turned off and just log into the router. Then I will use my desktop to configure the new router.

12. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I just picked up a "remanufactured" WRT600N at an electronic swapmeet last Sunday for $10. It works fine with the exception of the "NAS" capability. When you hook the USB drive to the router, the router sees it, but I couldn't set it up to the network.

Feedback on the Linksys site indicates many folks are having issues with that capability. Since I can't connect to the HR20-700 after this weeks CE, I couldn't test anything to or from it.

I think I'll be putting it up for sale on eBay.

13. jclarke9999

jclarke9999 Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    Cool, thanks for heads up onthe deal. I've been debating, but I think I just figured which route(r) (pun intended) I'm going! ;)

14. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Well to my surprise I already receive my new router and game adapter from newegg. I order them at 2:30 yesterday and came home from work today and they were already here and that was with normal shipping. I should have actually figured they would have been because every time I order from them I get my package the next day or two days at most.

Anyway everything is hooked up and working great so far. Everything connected quick and easy. My wireless G equipment the range even increased on from my WRT54G router.

I haven't been able to test my HR20 that is connected with the new wireless N game adapter yet for PC playback because I am having the crashing problem with the newest CE but when the problem is fixed hopefully I will be able to use that unit without it be jerky.

15. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    That's the advantage of living near the shipping point!

I used to like to order from Buy.com because they shipped from Dallas and UPS would get stuff here the next day. Deals from there just aren't what they used to be though.

So does your game adapter connect as na or ng, or do you have it set to only 2.4 or 5GHz?

16. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    na/ng???

I believe it is setup to 5GHz. I need to set a couple more things up tomorrow (things I forgot I had set up) and I have to check to make sure that is set to 5GHz.

17. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    The na status indicates that the game adapter is connected at 5GHz (usually channel 36).

The ng status indicates that the game adapter is connected at 2.4GHz (mine will switch between channels 1 & 6).

Right now both are on na channel 36 (but nothing is happening due to 0238 :( ).

LR adapter.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Thanks, I will check tomorrow when I get a chance and post back.

19. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    It is connected na 5GHz (channel 36).

20. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Where are you guys getting that info? If I go into the IP address of my HR20 it doesn't do anything.