Who Is Going To Buy A 4K Ultra HD BR Player

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by jclangston, Jan 21, 2016.

1. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    I have noticed that several websites including Amazon and Crutchfield are start to take preorders for the Samsung model that has been announced. I honestly thought the price would be in the $700 range but they are releasing at $399. I think I'm going to order one just to see what my 65" Samsung 4K tv can really look like. I also noticed that you can preorder a few Ultra HD movies on Amazon. The Martian is one that comes to mind. Just curious if anyone else is interested in this stuff....

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just read this very interesting article about this subject. It's from engadget and states that...well, read the article and see what you think. I agree with it. I'd love to just jump on Samsung's new 4K player, but without any 4K disks from NF, I don't see what I'd use it for. I already have a couple of streamers that upscale everything on them to 2160p and I realize that's not the same thing as what we'll see on the new 4K disks, but, it's pretty good. I have no intention of buying hard copies of movies anymore, I've thrown away far too many DVDs and VHS movies to dip back into that market again.

Anyhow, the article is interesting and I agree with it. But, if/when NF starts pumping out disks in 4K, I'll be buying a 4K player. Hopefully, the prices will drop by then.

Rich

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm with you, Rich. I just don't buy discs these days.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Where I am - I bought a Sony KDL-70R550A in 7/2014 For $1099 from sony and they thru in a Sony BDP-S5200 & 2 10' 4K sony HDMI Cords (Free) No Extra Charge - I just can't bring myself to throw it on the Burn pile and run out and buy a 4k TV - When no Standards have ever been set on any device protocol before or after 4k going forward - CES just showed 8k and next year 16K so any DIsc's& Movies & Will have to have Camera's to Shoot it other than that everything before that is up scalled to 1920X1080i -even if it was shot in 8mm :)

The reason I bought the SONY was because The TV it replaced was DOA - SO until I have another DOA set - I'll be happy with 1920 X 1080i

5. btedford

btedford New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    I am buying a 4K UHD player when it comes out. I pre-ordered mine from amazon.

6. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and pre-order mine today from Crutchfield so I can save the tax. I live in Tx and Amazon has distribution centers here so unfortunately we have to pay sales tax through Amazon. If the player was $1000 I would probably hold off but for $399 it will be a fun toy. As much as anything I just want to see what the true potential of my tv is and if HDR actually makes a difference. I know you will be able to get "The Martian" and "Scorch Trials" in 4K on March 1st. (already on Amazon) I think I remember reading that Fox Studios will release about 60 movies this year in 4K.

I know articles talk about being able to stream 4K, but thats very limited. Our house uses Netflix a lot but Netflix streaming is a useless tool to watch new movies. For example, the two movies I mentioned above I want to see because I didn't see them in the Theater. The only way to see them is to rent on PPV or rent or buy the BR disk. Maybe I'm a oddity but I still have Nextflix through the mail also, I'm sure they will offer 4K discs as well. (probably at a cost)

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I probably won't be buying a player right away since I don't have a 4K TV yet (perfectly happy with my 65VT60) but I will probably start buying UHD Blu-Rays instead of regular Blu-Rays for new movies that are coming out since it looks like they will include a regular Blu-Ray with them. If the studios start including the regular Blu-Rays then I might pick up a new player, assuming it can downscale to 1080p for my TV (I haven't heard for sure if that is possible, at one time I hear it wasn't).

Eventually after we buy a new house I will probably be building a dedicated theater room and getting a 4K projector, so I will definitely want a UHD Player at that time, and that is why I want to plan ahead with my disc purchases as well. I'm just in no hurry to jump on the earliest players as I remember how buggy the early HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players were, and how quickly the prices dropped.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If it helps, and I can't imagine any real differences, my Samsung BD/upscaling 2160p players work very well with my Panny plasma. I can't see why the new player would be any different.

Rich

9. richlife69

richlife69 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Central NC
    No, for me. Too early in the development cycle and too little programming or software. Though I have to deal with a cap, streaming is the way to go, so no disks and no player likely. Lots of strikes in that list aren't there.

I have no interest in blowing a couple of hundred bucks to see how good my TV can look, when there are streams for that purpose.

10. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    I thought it might be fun to follow up on this thread after owning a Ultra HD BR player for a month or so. I currently own 3 movies in 4K: Scorch Trials, The Martian, and The Expendables 3. I'll be honest the Expendables 3 doesn't look 4K to me, I can see no difference compared to 1080P. The other 2 look better, but again I'll be honest on my Samsung 65" that is HDR compatible there is a difference between 4K and 1080P but not as much as I was hoping. The way I see it in my mind is, 1080P to 4K is about half the step that DVD was up to BR. Also another comparison if anyone was wondering, I can see absolutely no PQ difference between Netflix 4K streaming and a Ultra HD 4K disk other than HDR. In Scorch Trials you can tell that bright lights are much brighter than I'm used to seeing in movies. In the end I enjoy the latest tech and I will continue to buy 4K disks if I really like a movie and will continue to stream 4K on Netflix, but on a 65" tv or smaller don't expect to be totally blown away like people were going from SD to HD. There is a difference but not a giant leap, I would like to see what 4K looked like on a 70"-80" screen.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good comment. Been said before, but always good to repeat it. Yeah, the step from 1080p to 4K is not nearly what the step from SD to HD was. That was unarguable. I still see comments about 4K that I disagree with, such as you can't see any difference unless you sit on top of the 4K set. That is pure BS, I think. I saw the difference clearly in a store over a year ago and I kept backing up farther and farther and I still saw a difference.

Anyhow, nice post. Very honest opinions that I agree with.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Sorry, it was a typo. I meant to say if the movie studios stop including regular Blu-Rays in with their 4K Blu-Rays, then I might consider buying a 4K Blu-Ray player. That way I could buy the 4K blu-ray now and watch it on my 1080p TV (assuming the players can downscale, which it sounds like they do from the quick research I just did).

I have pre-ordered my first 4K Blu-Ray the other day (Deadpool), but haven't bought any of the others yet. From what I have seen so far most of the discs released haven't been true 4K sources all the way through production (they had post production, editing, VFX etc done in 1080p and then upscaled). It sounds like Deadpool will be.

13. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Deadpool is one I have pre-ordered too. I agree some of these movies probably are unconverted. The Martian is the best looking movie I have ever seen, I think its 4K all the way. Even the CG graphics like mountains and stuff on Mars look truly amazing.

14. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
  15. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    I was going to mention the same. The Martian does look stunning and I can see a difference between it being upscaled on my previous player, an Oppo BDP-103 and UHD Blu-ray but is somewhat subtle.

UHD Blu-ray is a bit of a mixed bag currently due the mastering/transfer process but I did watch Kingsmen last weekend and it looked absolutely brilliant.

I haven't made the jump to a HDR panel yet (where is where a lot of IQ gain can be seen) as I am waiting on the next generation of sets but overall I find it highly impressive. Overall it is certainly more subtle than going from DVD to Blu-ray and my Oppo did a phenomenal job upscaling to 4K so it isn't for everyone. However, always wanting to try out the bleeding edge tech, I went for it and am quite happy but wouldn't recommend it for everyone. Another advantage is I can use Amazon and Netflix 4K through the player, which is super fast, rather than dealing with the Smart TV apps and ARC (which loves to misbehave in my system).

16. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up about Kingsmen. I own it on BR, but that would make a nice addition to my slowly growing 4K collection. (up to 4 movies lol) I agree with you mutelight 4K discs and players aren't going to be for everyone. The casual tv and movie watcher probably won't even consider upgrading for several years until you can buy a 4K player for under $100. For those of us that truly enjoy technology, A/V equipment, and electronics it sure is fun tho!

17. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    No problem! Here is a more detailed review on the image quality of Kingsmen if you are interested: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kingsman-The-Secret-Service-4K-Blu-ray/140080/

I actually blind bought Kingsmen never having seen it but it was recommended by a few of my friends. Needless to say I was quite pleased to have my first viewing at 4K and with phenomenal audio quality!

18. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    Just received The Revenant a day early!

Another blind purchase but I heard the cinematography is fantastic. Here's hoping for an excellent transfer!

19. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    Holy moly, if there was a single movie that could convince people to jump in and get a 4K Blu-ray player it would be The Revenant. Easily the most astonishing example of image quality I have ever seen.

Going into the movie intentionally not reading up on it to ruin anything, the first scene made my jaw hit the floor. It is like looking through a window with zero noise, amazing natural light and I later found out it was all shot on Arri Alexa 65mm digital cameras so it was digital all the way.

20. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I have noticed in the credits, especially older movies that have been restored, "pristine 4K scan done by company X". This was prior to 4K sets. Anyone else notice that? I get the idea that the studios were ahead of the curve for once in doing the newer and restored movie scans at 4K

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk