Who Killed the Great American Cable-TV Bundle?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Bloomberg posted August, 2018:

Who Killed the Great American Cable-TV Bundle?
    Insiders know the cable bundle, after generating more than $1.8 trillion, has been murdered. They don’t agree on the prime suspects.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Too many channels with not enough content filling the air time with rerun after rerun.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The culprit here is the content companies that want to cut out the middle man.

It absolutely didn't help that Disney, Discovery, Viacom and others created their unwieldy bundles.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I agree. Padding their channel count in their bundles with channels that were little more than yet another place to watch a rerun just doesn’t cut the mustard anymore.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Isn't that what Roku does? 3,000 channels, they say.

Rich

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Pretty much, tons of it are free with ads though. And that isn’t’ just limited to Roku. Pluto, XUMO, Tubi and others do the same thing. The difference with all of them compared to the cable/sat channels is that you aren’t paying any money for the streaming ones, but are with cable/sat.

Rich likes this.
  7. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    I think it committed suicide. Cable/satellite had become such an awful experience that is just doesn't make sense anymore. Endless commercials, bottom feeder programming, screen clutter in all corners, and long term commitments make it very unattractive compared to Netflix/Hulu/Apple/Disney etc. And not only is the content quality better & cheaper, but so is the presentation. For a fraction of the cost I can watch these great shows in 4K/HDR/Dolby Atmos instead of cable's 1080i or even 720p.

Rich likes this.
  8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Roku is a little different as there are a fairly significant number of Roku-only channels. The Roku Channel itself is available on some other devices (the FireTV directly and the ATV through AirPlay).

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The signal-to-noise ratio is terrible. Signal being good content, and noise being infomercials, home shopping zones, and What Were They Thinking programming?

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I find Roku TV convenient for streaming Netflix, Prime Video, Acorn, CBS All Access, Disney+. Yes, they have multiple channels available but you don't have to sign up for those you're not interested in.