1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who makes the best Ka/Ku LNB's?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Annihilator31, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annihilator31

Annihilator31 Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    Having a little extra time on my hands this week, I decided to compare three different brands of Ka/Ku LNB’s being used by Directv. The goal was to see which one, if any, got the strongest signal. In this challenge I used the new HR21-700 and randomly choose transponders 1, 14, 31 from sat 101.0 Transponders 27 & 32 from sat 119.0 and last transponders 1 and 17 from sat 103.0 (b) I made no adjustments to the dish or the installation. I merely hooked up each LNB and then checked/noted the peak signal strength. In the past year I have installed more than 70 slimline dish’s and I did this to satisfy my own curiosity as well as make sure that of all the LNB’s available, I was using the best one. In first place we have Eagle Aspen beating our second place by only 1-2 points. In second place we have Andrew who beat out or third place by 2-3 points. Last we have WNC, who still did really well, but was consistent in having a lower signal than the other two brands. Personally I think that the Andrew lnb looks the best, followed by the Eagle Aspen model. The WNC version lacks the curves and sleek design of the others. I would also like to note that in the past I had many service calls related to intermittent signal on sat 101 due to a defect in the WNC lnb’s. However, they must have solved this problem because I haven’t had to swap one out in a long while.

Attached Files:

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since the variation is only 1-3 points, how many LNB assemblies were used from each manufacturer?
    This amount of variation would seem to be within any one manufacturer's production output.

3. pjschwartz

pjschwartz AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
  4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    While the LNBs are interchangable, a re-peaking should be done with each swap to account for mfg differences between LNBS.

A controlled enviroment is really needed to see which is best. In just a few short minutes you can get the same amount of variation with the same LNB.

Also, if I try it enough times, I can always get tp 1 to show up at 100.

Good try though.

5. Annihilator31

Annihilator31 Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    Q. How many LNB assemblies were used from each manufacturer?
    A. Only one from each, good enough for me.

Q. I see CalAmp wasn't part of the study, why not?
    A. Couln't get my hands on one. Guess thats a good thing.

This was not meant to be scientific or too serious. Just goofin off with some extra time.
    As for re-alligning the dish for each LNB, I felt that would have been more of a cause for error than accuracy. (opinion)
    If you ask me, all three were great LNB's.
    What I'd like to see is a 6 part lnb that includes sat location 95 for the international customers.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Eagle Aspen LNB's are made by the Taiwanese WNC or Wistron Neweb Corp. They are the same company as the one that makes Acer computers.

Sharp is the major lnb maker in Japan. They have made Sony, Channel Master and many others.

CalAmp is the major US manufacturer of lnbs for dbs.

7. Annihilator31

Annihilator31 Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    If Eagle Aspen LNB's are made by WNC, then why does WNC make a completely differant version with their own name on it? My guess is that they are made by seperate places but owned by one bigger company.

8. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    based on your numbers ... it appears that they are all basically the same ... statistical variance in manufacturing is normal .... aka it doersnt really matter which you use

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.