Who still needs/wants a beta update?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Brantel, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brantel

Brantel RBR Hitit tillit bricksit

Dec 8, 2006
    If you need/want a beta update because you missed it or you did not get your HR20 in time like me (just got mine today and other than the well known issues and no OTA I love it) please post here and let Earl and D* know that we need another shot!

Just can't stand the thought of not having OTA for the bowl games....

Thanks!

2. bret4

bret4 DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 22, 2006
    So far I'd say D* should make the last update (0x10B) go national. Seems to work much better than 0xFA. They are moving in the right direction. Don't see any reason not to let everyone have it.

3. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I'm betting Santa will not visit this weekend as (looking at history) DTV usually doesn't make any changes on the weekends. My guess is that you'll get the update during a national release this upcoming week... Just in time for X-MAS! :)

4. Colburnk

Colburnk New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    I think D* could use more people testing thier boxes. Why not give us strike three??

5. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    D* go national with this update!

6. sabex

sabex AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    I would be surprised if this goes national before '07.
    Simply put, CSR at all levels are going to be shortstaffed for the next few weeks.
    Even if the release is flawless they are still going to be jammed with calls asking how to set up OTA, complaining about poor signal (without having an OTA antenna) etc.

I got OTA last night and my joy was short lived as it turns out my OTA reception is barely acceptable with consistent signal drops. Guess I am going to have to wait for HD locals, hopefully before next football season. (Living in a small market sucks.)

7. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Sabex,

How far are you from the towers? Do you use indoor or outdoor antenna?
    Splits or splices anywhere?

What does antennaweb.org give you for likely digital reception?

Lastly are you in an area with lots of trees or mountains or buildings between you and the towers?

Cheers,
    Tom

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I was out of town until just now so I couldn't force an upgrade...

Since we're now 3 releases past when OTA was enabled [104, 108, 10B] and it will probably be yet another week, or more if they keep up this dance of waiting a week and then putting out a new release instead of releasing it to the East Coast, I think it only fair if one more window of opportunity were to open up. :)

9. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    I would think strike three would revert you back to 0xFA...:D Yer out!!!:D

10. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I have a outdoor antenna in the attic that is seven years old and I live about 25 miles as the bird flys from the tower farm and all my local channels are very good on both tuners. The lowest signal is at 90% and that is a PBS station. I do see a few problems when replaying and stopping recorded material with the 108 version that can cause you to loose some of your recorded material. Don't know if the same thing happens to 10B, but 108 needs a little more help in places that were stable in FA.

11. skakusha

skakusha AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    I was out of town on business so another window would be great. :D I am usually on the forum daily, but it is tough when I have to entertain clients.

I did think it was great what Earl and DTV were doing. I am sad that I missed the window, but will be checking back often to see if we get another window. 0xFA has been very buggy for me. I am losing both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 HD local recordings on both boxes. I had a lot of issues this week that I never had before, and neither box is responding to trick plays.

I will keep my fingers crossed that either we get another window, or national release soon. I even had my OTA mounted and checked for the new update.

Earl, thanks for working so hard to help us out.

12. Brantel

Dec 8, 2006
    Still begging for a third chance or a national release before Christmas...

13. hjplano

hjplano Cool Member

Nov 17, 2006
    I missed Santa, boo hoo. Would love another shot at the update!

Having OTA withdraws.

Merry Christmas

14. Brantel

Dec 8, 2006
    Any new HR20 owners that missed the super nice Santa delivery? Post here and let D* know we need a chance at the beta download!

15. cawgijoe

cawgijoe Legend

Dec 22, 2005
    I didn't miss the update, but I didn't get it because I could not get the 02468 code to do anything on my box.....apparently I cannot see the Wecome or Hello screen while using HDMI on my set......I was told to use Component only AFTER the window had passed.

I would really like either another chance, or even better, a National release this week.

16. ajwillys

ajwillys Godfather

Jun 14, 2006
    Personally, I don't think they'll go national with any OTA enabling update until they get most of the missing channels fixed. A huge number of CSR calls would be generated if they turned it and channels either had no guide data or were "searching for signal".

17. dpluta

dpluta AllStar

Sep 5, 2006
    I hope 10b does not go national. I have it and while it seemed to work ok this past weekend, it has all of a sudden crapped out on me. OTA is locking up the box and I have already done two RBRs this morning. 10B is NOT ready for prime time. People will scream if they have to keep resetting their boxes. I'm forced to put up with it because I volunteered to be a gunea pig. Otherwise, I'd be yelling at D* for refunds.

18. Brantel

Dec 8, 2006

Just force another update and you will go back to the nationaly released version.

I want OTA even if it means living with some bugs.

19. Colburnk

Colburnk New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Majority rules. We want 10B NOW!!!!!! Bugs or no bugs. I want OTA before this holiday weekend.

20. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    I was very happy to get a chance (on the second window) to install this upgrade. I am sure if Earl can do it he will. Keep in mind though that there will always be someone that just got their HR20 or was out of town or was out too late at the bar ;) They should just have the window open for an hour every night. Sirta like a 12 days of Christmas.

There is no harm in letting people here get the 0B since they are not suppossed to call the CSR for help. I know there will be someone that does call and if they do they will be told go back to FA, and this also puts future chances for us to test in jeapordy.

If we had a poll on whether or not to make 0B the next national releae I would vote YES

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.