1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole home/Deca question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by markf, Nov 20, 2011.

1. markf

markf Cool Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Hi All,

I am interested in setting up whole home. I don't really care about VOD (I have a few Apple TVs for that), although I wouldn't say no. I have a SWiM 8, an HR20-700, an H20-100 and 4 H21-200 receivers. If I did have to connect to the Internet, the closest receiver to my router is the H20-100.

Am I already set up for whole home and can I just call up DirecTv to activate it? I've seen posts saying that it doesn't require DECA/an Internet connection. If I do need an Internet connection, can I just get a DECA box and connect it in-line with my H20-100?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You'd need to find a network connection for your H20-100 [there isn't one].
    You don't need internet access for MRV, but you'll either need to run ethernet to all receivers, or add DECAs to them

3. markf

markf Cool Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Thanks for your response. So, I just get DECA boxes for all my receivers except the H20 and I'm set for MRV? (Knowing that the H20 won't be a part of the MRV). And I don't need a connection to my Internet?

Thanks,
    Mark

4. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Correct. I just had MRV installed without Internet access and it worked fine. Add DECA's to your compatible receivers and you're good to go. You can add Internet access later if you want to. I added Internet to mine 5 minutes after the installer left my house.

Call D* before you go buying DECA's. I got my MRV install for $49, which included a SWiM conversion of my system. They also might do you a deal to switch out your H20 so that it is compatible as well.

5. markf

markf Cool Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Ok, great, thanks for the help!

Mark

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "One more item", the H20 will need a bandstop filter to block the DECA from the Sat input.

"Another item", check your splitter to see if it has a green label. If not it should be changed to one that is, since they're made to work with DECA, and check your SWiM for a green label/sticker too, or it too will need a filter between it and the splitter.