1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home DVR Charge

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tonyc, Jul 19, 2013.

1. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    I have a HR34 and one Client in the bedroom i have not been charged the $3.00 WHDVR charge. I have had the system at least 6 months an i just notice they added the charge. To me a client is just an extension of the genie it not like im sharing with an hr24. so i don't think i should be charged. I all ready pay the dvr charge and hd charge so is this mistake or they just catching up to me?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The charge is supposed to be there.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Got lucky for 6 months. as the Genie carries the DVR,HD and WHDVR fee regardless

4. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Many customers are under the impression the viewing fee is "per receiver". It's not. The viewing fee is "per television". Coincidentally, that parallels the number of receivers in the home.

And yes, client "extensions" fall into the same category, despite any perceived logic to the contrary. People want 'fair' until they realize what it really means..

-=K=-

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I disagree. Its the combination of both, whichever is higher. I say this cause you can easily have more DVRs than tvs in a house.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think both of you are wrong.

7. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have 5 DVRs and 3 TVs and I pay for the DVRs. If I hooked up all 5 to 1 TV I would still pay for the DVRs. The number of TVs doesn't matter.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The fee the TS asked about is per account. And new subscribers will have an Advance receiver fee that incorporates MRV.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The interesting part here is that this fee (including WHDS) appears to be charged even if there is just a single HD DVR on the account.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    More precise a single "Genie DVR/server" on the account;

And the WH fee is still included here by DIRECTV probably as a way to discourage lone Genie installs and for users to upgrade to at least one additional STB receiver or RVU client.

I doubt DIRECTV really wants to lease out the Genie for lone installs since it was specifically designed to be a central WH server feeding other, preferably "thin," client units, and not just as a five tuner DVR.

11. Dukester619

Dukester619 Cool Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I have 3 receivers and I split them to 6 TVs and I only pay for two of them (one is free), so this is obviously not correct.

12. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    w

Exactly Dukester, I have also done this in the past. It has some limitations but generaly works well with a RF remote. The charge is per reciever/DVR not per tv.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The MRV fee is per account. Not receiver/DVR.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes Whole Home Service is per account. Not sure why but I read he was questioning the mini genie fee. :)

15. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Right the MRV or whole home service is one fee per account. The reciever/DVR fee is $6 per reciever/DVR with the first one free. Sorry for any confusion.

16. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    A CS rep told me that it is a charge that i should have been paying from the beginning, but he told me since i was a long time customer since 1998 he credited me the charge for the next 12 months. I understand the charge but like TRH said above it is in the advanced receiver charge $8.00 for receiver & $3.00 for WHDVR total of $10.00

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's right. In fact in their current glossy advertising to lure in new customers it specifically states that if you get a Genie you MUST also get at least one client with it to get all the discounts!! (and to justify getting gouged the additional $11/month)