Whole-Home DVR in May?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bonscott87, Apr 21, 2010.

1. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    So in the Netflix/DirecTV Cinema thread I saw something interesting in the article. I googled and found a link (since one wasn't provided) and this is one of them:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...at-netflix-offering-newest-movies-faster.html

The following is quoted in the article

Hello! Is this just a gaff by the marketing folks and they really mean the HR24 with MRV capability or is the rumored HMC 30?

Inquiring minds want to know. Hmmmmm....

2. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    I've been seeing more and more of this... in my opinion.

Whole Home DVR is being released in May. There are two options:

1) Basic = Available May: Simple installs of 4 or less TVs. 1 HR24, 1-3 H24s. This allows 4 TVs to be used for live TV at once, Recorded programs to be viewed at the main TV (HR24) and 1 other TV (H24) at the same time.
    2) Advanced = Available "later": Advanced installs requiring more tuners/less hardware. We don't know enough to know how this fits in.

But... What else would you call an HR24/H24 installation? You'd have to call it a Whole Home DVR system.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    [yawn]
    DECA & MRV, with a few 24s added in. [/yawn]

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    We're probably closer to a year away from the Whole Home DVR being released. This is nothing but simple confusion on the part of the reporter. It is MRV that is being released in May 2010.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While the Home server is a year away, the "whole home DVR", is what DirecTV is thinking/calling the DECA network & MRV.

6. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
  7. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Because Whole-Home DVR = Multi-Room DVR = MRV, which is available now. Key parts of the four-market pilot program are DECA, the HR24 DVR and H24 receiver/client, all of which exist and work great.

The "server" bit was demo'd at CES this year and several DBSTalk members saw it in action. Whether it works out in practice and ends up as an affordable piece of equipment for widespread rollout remains to be seen.

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Wait a minute. Does this mean I wan watch a recorded PPV on another TV. Because that is not the case now. I recorded Sherlock Holmes from PPV in case the wife wanted to watch it, and it was not available via MRV.

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I don't order PPV so can't test, but that sounds like a "bug" to me.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Once you've paid for it on the local DVR, then it show in your MRV playlist for the next 24 hours.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    With MRV, does it matter how you order the PPV? Does it work via ordering from the remote?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Ordering I don't think is the issue, "confirming" your purchase [I used my remote] is what caused mine to then be visible on my playlist for MRV. After the 24 hour limit, it disappeared from the MRV playlist, but was still in my local playlist and wanted to be re-purchased.