1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole home DVR Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mace27, Aug 28, 2012.

1. mace27

mace27 New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    So my plan was to get a HR34 for my downstairs TV and just a standard HD receiver for my upstairs TV that can use the whole home DVR service.

They said I couldn't get a HR34 because I don't have whole home DVR service on my account. They said I had to order the HD receiver first and get it set up, and then I can order my HR34. That makes no sense to me. Why can't I just get them both at the same time? I'm not going to be able to use whole home DVR without a DVR. Well, unless my old HR20 works with whole home DVR, but I'm amusing it doesn't.

Does this make sense to anybody else?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The HR20 works fine with Whole Home. What is your standard HD receiver model? You should be able to get Whole Home and the 34 installed t the same time.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The HR20 is whole home capable, but that's beside the point.

Whomever you spoke to is wrong. You can order both an HR34 and an HD receiver and then activate WH service after installation.

Call back and try another CSR.

4. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Thats incorrect you DO however have to have a swm installation which happens with a whoile home install..callback and get another CSR

5. mace27

mace27 New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Ok, I've been debating whether I should call Directv and try to find a competent CSR, or just order my HR34 off Amazon. Amazon has it for $366, and Directv said it would be $399. After Tax and shipping it's a wash.

Would it be easier to just buy the equipment and get an installer out here after it arrives, or try to deal with the CSRs and hope they set me up with what I want?

6. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    I would call and get another CSR. Most/some of them know what they're doing. They'll set up an installation that costs a lot less than what you can get otherwise.

7. mace27

mace27 New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Thanks. I called Directv and got a competent CSR. What a difference that made. Installer should be out tomorrow.