1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole home DVR service help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PortCityMan, Aug 21, 2012.

1. PortCityMan

PortCityMan New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Recently upgraded to a HDDVR in the living room and a HD receiver in the bedroom with whole home DVR service. The installer installed the receivers with a SWM connection. He also put a little box connected to the router that has a coax cable running to it. My question, how do I get an Internet connection to the receiver in the bedroom? I try to connect it in the network option in the menu but it doesn't have an Internet connection. The receiver in the living room connects to the Internet but I am unable to watch anything on the living room DVR in the bedroom when I try to set up whole home DVR service on the bedroom receiver. What am I doing wrong or missing? Thanks for all the help.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What model receiver is in the bedroom?

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How many times do we have to ask questions such as these? An OP, at least, should have that info contained in it. How hard is it to type HRxx-xxx?

Rich

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I posted my criticism before I looked at your avatar and info, sorry, didn't realize you were new to the forum. All the info you can include in your OP (Opening Post) will always be appreciated. Makes it so much easier to answer a TS's (Thread Starter's) question.

Again, my apologies---but not to the people who should know better and still don't post enough info.

:welcome_s to our little world.

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just apologized. My bad.

Rich

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So shall we do some deleting?

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No, the message is still valid. I'm kinda tired of folks using 20 and 21 as model numbers and having to constantly ask for clarifications...Hey, if we get into a good argument about this, perhaps someone will pay attention... :lol:

Rich

8. PortCityMan

PortCityMan New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Sorry about that. It's a HR24 in the living room and a H23 in the bedroom. Thanks.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The H23 needs to have a DECA adapter connected to its SAT input and an ethernet cable to its network port.

[​IMG]

The white DECA might be a black one, since they have come out with a newer one.

It also needs to have green LEDs too.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How did you get that Ethernet wire to stay in that position in that very nice picture?

Rich

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Easy", I stole the picture from DirecTV. :lol:

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ahh!

Rich

13. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The new ones being used are not white but grey and oval shaped but the connections would be the same. So if yours looks different it's ok.

14. PortCityMan

PortCityMan New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The installer didn't put the DECA on the receiver nor did he leave one. How do I get one then?

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Call DIRECTV, they will usually send one out for free.

Ask for a "Receiver DECA" adapter.

Make sure NOT to call it a "Cinema Connection Kit" (CCK) though.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not grey, but black. Ovalish yes. Also dropped the LED count down to 2 from 3.

17. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Direct TV should call that an imcomplete installation shouldn't they? They'll probably send the installer back out to set it up correctly. Maybe the installer will swap out the 23 for a 25.

18. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Okay, I have two HD DVR's, both connected to my network. I just called to activate whole home DVR service and was told at least one receiver has to be a HD only receiver and that I can't have just two HD DVRs. Is that correct?

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Another clueless CSR.
    "minimum" is an HD DVR & HD receiver, but 2 HD DVRs "exceeds this"

20. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    That's what I told her but she wasn't having it any other way. Thanks for letting me know.