1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home DVR set-up help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bixler, Jul 30, 2011.

1. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Hoping one (or a few) of you knowledgeable people in this forum can help me out. Been thinking about setting up Whole Home DVR service but I'm not quite sure what I need.

Per my sig, I have a Slimline5 with 4 lines going to a SWM 8 then a SWS-8 splitter feeding (1) HR 21-100, (2) HR 22-100's, and (1)H 21-100. I currently have (1) of the HR22-100's connected to my network via a WET610N bridge.

I'd like to connect everything to my network so I can use Whole Home service. The main problem is that my router is not in a location that I can access one of my receivers or the SWM 8 or the SWS-8 splitter. It's actually in a different area of the house that has it's own Comcast coax feed and no other coax available in the room.

I assume I need the wireless connection kit but how does that work and what else am I missing?

TIA!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    First, keep in mind the Internet connection isn't required for Whole Home DVR. If you won't use the apps, downloaded VOD, YouTube, the iPad app, or PPV via remote (if no phone connected), you don't need to worry about it. That will change if you do want to use those things, but playing back recordings on a receiver doesn't need it.

Rereading this, you're wanting to use the "unsupported mode" or are you considering the official DECA solution?

3. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes, thanks....I keep forgetting that I don't really need the internet connection.

Not sure about unsupported or official DECA....can you let me know the difference? I just want to be able to play back recordings on the HD receiver and the other HD DVRs. Thanks!!

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Unsupported would mean running Ethernet cable to each receiver (wireless doesn't work well enough). Going supported outs DECA boxes on each receiver and they are connected together using the existing cabling. It requires SWM, but you've already got that.

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I can't really run ethernet to each receiver so that option is out. So how do the DECAs work? The HR 21 is right at the SWM8 and splitter if that is helpful. Does a DECA need to be connected to my router if I don't really care about the VOD features for the boxes? That's what my concern is....that my router is not close to any of my Direct TV wiring.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you don't care about them being on the net, no DECA there is needed. On a receiver other than a 24 or 25, the coax that goes to the receiver now plugs into the DECA, a short coax from the DECA to the receiver, and an Ethernet cable goes from the DECA to the jack on the receiver.

7. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    So I just need 4 DECAs? One for each receiver?

Does anything get hooked to the SWM8 or the SWS-8? I don't any have 'green labels'. Does that matter?

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    One additional note;

Even if you choose to use DECA it will still be listed as an "unsupported" install by DIRECTV unless you have them do it.

Which means all future troubleshooting and other support for it lies with you.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They will need to swap your splinter for a green label.

10. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    Like dpeters11 said, DECA boxes at all but 24 and 25's. Since its difficult for you to get your internet connected to the DECA cloud, Consider using the new WCCK that just came out. It is basically a wireless DECA that connects to your router wirelessly and then to your DECA cloud. Check out the link below. You can order it right from directv's website by logging into your account.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=193851

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    For some reason I was thinking he was getting educated before having DirecTV do the install, but I was wrong.

Not necessarily a deal breaker, it's quite reliable once setup, and you always have us to help where we can. But you would need to have DirecTV activate it in unsupported if you do the install. Still $3 a month though.

12. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes, I'm to trying to educated to see if I want/can do this or if I should have DirectTV install it. I guess it comes down to cost. The price of picking everything (I guess 4 DECA's and a green splitter) on my own compared to just have DirectTV come out.

Thanks everyone!

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well, actually as dpeters11 says "its not a total loss" to DIY and go as "unsupported" as you have many good people on this site to help you. And considering that unless you have DIRECTV's "Protection Plan," after 90 days of the installation (I think), you're on your own for any future problems anyhow.

14. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    No I do not have the protection plan.

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You are NEVER going to download a movie?

16. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Probably not. I've had a Linksys Wireless WET610N Bridge hooked to my main viewing tv right for almost two years and have never downloaded a movie. I've watched a few Youtube videos but that is it. I'm more into sports than movies.