1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home Install Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dsm, Jun 29, 2010.

1. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    Ok, I decided to sign up for MRV and there is a guy coming out this Friday. I've got two HR20-700's. Couple of questions:

1. My router is sitting out on a ledge in my finished basement. Will the installer have to run another coax to the router so he can install the broadband deca there? It's going to be difficult to do a neat job of hiding this coax. I do have a network switch in the unfinished side of my basement that this could plug into. In fact there is an HR20 there and I believe one of the two Coax's on that will be "unused" due to SWiM so it might work perfectly. Would that work or does it have to be at the router for some reason?

2. I don't have SWiM so that is part of the install. Will they be running any more lines from the dish? I think they'll end up using just one of the 4 that are run now right?

3. I believe the SWiM is powered, can it be powered from a plug near either of the HR20's or does it need power near the SWiM module?

4. I think they are bringing DECA's for my HR20's, but I received two emails describing a receiver upgrade installation that sound like a new receiver. Is there any way to finesse this into free HR24 upgrades? If they damage either of the HR20's I will insist on an HR24.

DTV waved the install fee for the whole thing since I'm a long term customer so I can't complain, but frankly MRV beta worked fine on my home network. This seems like overkill, but I guess I'm better off running the video traffic off of my internal network anyhow. Any other suggestions?

thanks,

steve

2. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    On the last point, hopefully they really did waive the fee. The CSR said the same thing to me, but I ended up having to pay.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    1) They can connect to a port on your switch.
    2) 3) They will either use a SWM8 connected to the four outputs of your dish or replace the LNB with the SWM version. Hopefully you have the four lines running to a common location? This is where the PI will be connected.
    4) For MRV they will have to use the DECA modules. I hope the installer knows that connecting to HR20s is a bit different.

It's been reported that DECA based MRV works better in regards to remote control of the remote DVR. if you want to stay with network MRV you'll need to call and jump through a few hoops to get it authorized.

4. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    I can already view the work-order on the directv site and it shows they credited me for the install so hopefully it will stick.

The four lines from the dish all come into the house at the same point and then they diverge. Where they come in is in the drop ceiling of my finished basement though so I'm not sure where they would plug in a box they put there if that is necessary. Maybe I should be pushing for the module at the dish so that they could power it at one of the endpoints?

steve

5. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    HR20's are only different if they are HR20-100's. HR20-700's are the same as any other HR2x box.

6. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I wouldn't worry. They will install a SWM-LNB with a single output. That output will connect to a SWM splitter which could be located outside and connect to the same 4 wires you have today (but you only need 3, 1 for each DVR and one for the DECA to connect the broadband network).

The Power Inserter can easily be located at one of the DVR locations (that particular coax needs to be attached to the power passing port on the SWM splitter, but installers understand SWM).

7. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    Ok, sounds good. Thanks for the advice everyone.

steve

8. Jul 2, 2010 #8 of 11
    dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    Ok, tech was here 3 hours and couldn't get it to work.

What I've got now is a swim 8 with 3 cables coming out of it (and one going in). First cable out goes to a deca. That deca is connected to sat in 1 and the ethernet in on the the first HR20-700. The second port goes to a deca which then has the purple power inserter connect on the power port and the ethernet cable connected to a network switch. The third cable goes to a black swim PI which then outputs to a deca whose output is connected to sat in 1 on a second HR20-700 and the ethernet is connected to the ethernet port. Very much like one of the proper diagrams on the diagram page for "network enabled receivers". However, neither unit could see the other for MRV and neither unit could get to the network.

He called the supervisor and was told to hook it up like the HR20-100, but he didn't have the parts. I talked to the guy and told him I was pretty sure the HR20-700's didn't need this config, but he said they had recently been told to start doing them the same.

After he gave up and left I plugged the ethernet ports back into my switches and MRV is working over the LAN. The tech didn't even know that was possible. He said he'll be back next week with the parts to hook it up like the HR20-100.

What should I do?

steve

9. Jul 2, 2010 #9 of 11
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    When the decas were connected to the -700s, were all three lights on the decas green? If not, which ones were and were not lit?

10. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    All three lights were green on the ones attached to the 700s. However, the one on the network only two lights were light and one of the two was blinking.

I didn't mention that when I went online tonight my router/modem was not connected to the internet. I had to power cycle them to get connected and this has not happened in a long long time. Could a network problem have caused the broadband deca to get confused and them also interfered with the MRV connection somehow? Maybe I should try again now that I cleared it up.

steve

11. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    Never mind, I found the problem. He had cut two of the sat lines to insert the Swim splitter and didn't have much slack. I was walking into the other room to free some up and he yanked on it before I got there and said OK, I have enough so I never looked to see it move on the slack side. These cables had a connector in the middle (drop ceiling fortunately). It was the one connected to the broadband deca that broke. I found it and reconnected and everything started working shortly after redoing the satellite setup and the network setup on the unit I had moved to the bad line. Interesting that losing the broadband deca connection cause MRV to not work. This is consistent with the fact that the other HR20 didn't see this HR20 in MRV until I redid the network setup on the one that had been down.

I also moved the PI to match this link: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2472595#post2472595, but I'm sure it was the cable that did the trick.

I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask him to come back and just replace the connector which was damaged. I don't have any spares around and they seem to replace them with solid ones.

thanks for the help,

steve