1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home introduced noise

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dbphd, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dbphd

dbphd New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    The audio noise floor of the system in our media room had been inaudible before DirecTV installed Whole Home. Now there is a quite audible hiss or fry from all five channels that is not level or source dependent. A 23-700 HD-DVR and PS3-80 output to a DVDO Edge via HDMI. Video is sent from the Edge via HDMI to a Sony VPL-50 projector; audio is sent via HDMI to a Cary Cinema 11a processor. The installer connected a modem to our AirPort Extreme network.

Where should I start in chasing the noise; is there a known problem area? Is the modem connection necessary given we don't intend to use PPV or DirecTV cinema? If not, what can I safely remove? It seems DirecTV added a lot of complexity for little added value.

As an aside, I had to relocate a 24-200 HD-DVR to a system where it inputs directly to a Sony 46XBR8, because it generated a loud clack with each FF or FR. A 23-700 HD-DVR does not clack in the media room system. DirecTV said they were unaware of such a problem with the 24 series, even though others have posted the same experience at AVS.

db

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I suggest you methodically remove items from your setup one-by-one to see if you isolate what's actually introducing the noise. Hard to see why anything related to WHDVR networking would cause this, but you have a rather complicated AV system.

3. dbphd

dbphd New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Given the buzz I noted in my 1/28 post was not present before installation of a Whole Home setup, in seeking the source of the noise what items of that installation can be removed? For example, can the connection to ethernet be severed? The installer connected what appears to be a modem to the Apple AirPort Extreme network, although that doesn't seem to be connected to equipment in the rack. I confess I really don't understand the setup. As I understand it, the DECCAs permit the receivers to network over the DirecTV cables. If so, what's the value of connecting to the Apple network? I don't intend to use PPV services. I'd appreciate any help in getting back to an inaudible noise floor.

db

4. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007

The connection to your apple network provides connection to the internet. It can be used for purchasing PPV, but also for downloading free Video on Demand from the different channels, as well as TV apps. If you don't have any desire for these items (or just want to test if they are causing the noise), that connection can be removed and the device (a broadband DECA) unplugged.

5. dbphd

dbphd New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    As part of a revision of my equipment cabinet, I took the system apart and then reassembled it. The annoying buzz is gone, so it wasn't intrinsic to the DirecTV Whole Home, just the implementation of it by the installer.

Although Whole Home doesn't sync the program content among the units as I had hoped it would, nevertheless it does provide the convenience of a sharing a list among the units, and of resuming a program on one unit that was stopped on another.

db

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Glad you figured it out. Enjoy!

7. dbphd

dbphd New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    In rereading the posts on this thread, the post by DogLover seems to suggest that connection to the internet via our Apple network enables VOD. If that's so, I'm really glad to have that connection, because VOD is a very nice service.

DogLover, we have a three year old American Field Lab -- think of a lab on stilts and steroids -- that's a joy. Although his pedigree is field trial champions, his retrieving is limited to fetching balls thrown with the aid of a ChuckIt at an off-lead dog-park. But he nevertheless seems to be a very happy puppy.

db

8. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Just as a reminder, don't forget to check your internet provider's usage policy. Some providers are starting cap the amount of internet usage.

The dog picture is a Heinz 57, with at least some terrier. His "brother" is a lab mix, doesn't understand the idea of chasing after a ball. (He was adopted as a 1 year old, and at 11 still doesn't understand the idea of play.) They are both sweet, and as our only "children" more spoiled than they should be.