1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole home network issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rleffler, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Aug 1, 2013 #1 of 12
    rleffler

rleffler Cool Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I just moved this past weekend. I got a new hr34 and a hr21 replaced a defective hr20

Everything worked great for a few days. Then the whole home network split into two groups.

My three old DVrs, 2 hr24 and a hr20 can see each other, but not the two new ones

The two new ones can see each other, but not the old ones.

I have a swm16. I did check the splitter connections. One of the old DVrs is on the splitter with the hr34. And the new hr21 is on the other splitter with the other old DVrs. I assume this rules out a problem with the splitters.

I did do a rbr on all units to no avail.

Any idea on what try try next?

2. Aug 1, 2013 #2 of 12
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It sounds like the coupling built in to the two sides of the SWiM-16 is kaput. Reboot the 16. You could switch a DVR cable to see if it switches sides.

There are ways to couple the two sides, but I'd get D to replace it.

3. Aug 1, 2013 #3 of 12
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It sounds like the coupling built in to the two sides of the SWiM-16 is kaput. Reboot the 16. You could switch a DVR cable to see if it switches sides.

There are ways to couple the two sides, but I'd get D to replace it.

The OP said that there is a new DVR on each side of the SWM, so that would rule out the bridge between the two sides. However, I do think a reboot of the SWM is in order though.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. Aug 1, 2013 #4 of 12
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Y, I re-read it and I'm still figuring out the old and the new.

5. Aug 1, 2013 #5 of 12
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Y, I re-read it and I'm still figuring out the old and the new.

LOL... The OP states that the HR34 is on a splitter with an old DVR and the new DVR is on another splitter. However, we have seen issues where when DVRs are not seeing each other for Whole Home that a reset of the DVRs and reset of the SWM itself can sometimes resolve the issue.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Aug 4, 2013 #6 of 12
    rleffler

rleffler Cool Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I power cycled the swm16, but had no effect. I'll have to get call the tech to come back out. Fortunately, he left his cell number.

7. Aug 6, 2013 #7 of 12
    rleffler

rleffler Cool Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I stumbled upon the root cause, but I can't explain why.

When I moved, Time Warner swapped out my cable modem with a modem that has all kinds of bells and whistles that I don't need and is causing issues with my ASA5505, but that's another story that I won't go into. But what it did cause me to do is the unplug the broadband deca from the Internet.

Last night I was doing some testing and plugged the broadband deca back into the Internet. Low and behold, all the DVRs could instantly see each other again. Unplug the Internet and the network segments again. It doesn't make sense why the lack of Internet access causes the whole home network to segment into multiple sub networks.

It would nice to understand what happened and why, but I'm glad that the whole home network is working again.

Bob

8. Aug 7, 2013 #8 of 12
    sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I'd suspect that your old dvrs have IP addresses that are in a different sub-net than the new ones. Plugging in the broadband deca unifies them on your system's router. Did someone setup your older dvrs with fixed ip addresses? If so your new ones should be assigned ip's in the same range and with the same sub-net mask # as the older ones.

1 person likes this.
  9. Aug 7, 2013 #9 of 12
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I would probably concur with that. The older DVRs probably have static IP addresses that correlate with the same subnet as the home network. The new DVRs are reverting to APIPA, which is a completely different subnet than the home network. Once the Broadband DECA was connected, the new DVRs then obtain an IP address via DHCP, which puts them on the home network subnet and the older DVRs just continue to use the static IP addresses, which are already set for the home network subnet.

- Merg

10. rleffler

rleffler Cool Member

Mar 21, 2007
    That makes sense. The older ones are clearly static IPs. I didn't set up the new ones, but they'll be static when I get home tonight.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, as long as you leave the Broadband DECA connected you shouldn't have to worry about it as the new DVRs will get the correct IP address from the router.

- Merg

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I actually still have my 5 DVRs (one is a Genie) on static IPs because my former router was flaky managing the IPs on them through DHCP once the lease time expired on them causing random disconnects from WH.

Have a new Linksys (Cisco) router now as the old one finally gave up the ghost altogether, but still have the DVRs on static since they're working so well and I don't want to disturb a good thing even though, unlike the old one, the new router could probably handle DHCP for the boxes just fine.