1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home Playback issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by clcoyle, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1 of 19
    clcoyle

clcoyle Mentor

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi-

I am getting the following error when attempting to play back from my HR20/700 to my HR24/500.

"Playback failed. No audio/video data packets received from server"

I am able to playback from my HR24-500 to my HR20-700 but not the other way around. I have reset both receivers and established whole home connections where I see all playlist but I am not still not able to playback from 700 to 500.

These receivers have been working flawlessly since Whole Home came out without issue and this just started yesterday.

Any idea what is causing the problem and how to fix it?

Both receivers are running software version Ox6bd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Jun 2, 2013 #2 of 19
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    How are those receivers connected to the internet?

3. Jun 2, 2013 #3 of 19
    clcoyle

clcoyle Mentor

Jul 25, 2004
    They are connected to COX with Ethernet cables

4. Jun 2, 2013 #4 of 19
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Maybe a bad switch or connector. Do you have another switch you can plug them into for troubleshooting?

5. Jun 2, 2013 #5 of 19
    clcoyle

clcoyle Mentor

Jul 25, 2004
    I do have another switch I can use. But why would it work in one direction but not the other?

6. Jun 2, 2013 #6 of 19
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I don't know, but sometimes latency can cause issues for the WHDVR system. I'm not sure that's what is going on here, but I know it can happen.

7. Jun 2, 2013 #7 of 19
    clcoyle

clcoyle Mentor

Jul 25, 2004
    Ok. I will change the switches and report back....Standy-by.

8. Jun 2, 2013 #8 of 19
    clcoyle

clcoyle Mentor

Jul 25, 2004
    Changed the switch and now everything is working fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

9. Jun 2, 2013 #9 of 19
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Good deal man! Glad we could help!

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome, thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

11. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    Not convinced you needed a new switch. I have seen this message several times in my configuration.

My network consists of 5 DVR's, 3 switches/repeaters, 8 wired security cams, countless other wireless devices, and the usual collection of household PC's, tablets and phones.

A simple toggle off/on of whole-home followed by a "test network connections" command on the sending DVR usually corrects the problem for me.

12. WTNewton

WTNewton New Member

May 15, 2013
    Ocotillo...
    What is the Directv name or part number for the item called 'a switch' in this thread?

13. linflas

linflas Mentor

Feb 9, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    They are talking about ethernet network switches that you use in hardwired networking. I don't think DTV sells them but you can get them on Amazon, Newegg, or your local Best Buy type store.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, since DirecTV does not "deal" (most like install) with Ethernet they dont provide ethernet switches.

15. WTNewton

WTNewton New Member

May 15, 2013
    Ocotillo...
    Would that be the same type of equipment that is called an ETHERNET ROUTER?
    Just trying to get my mind to visualize what people are talking about! Thank you for the input!

16. linflas

linflas Mentor

Feb 9, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    To keep it simple a switch is nothing more than sophisticated way to split a single connection into multiple connections. Say you have 4 devices in a room you want to have network access you run a single cable from the network source to that room and connect the switch to that cable and the 4 devices to the switch. A router on the other hand deals with handling network packets between different networks. They can be combined into a single box like the router Verizon uses in my FiOS setup that has 4 ports as well as a wireless access point built into the router but in large commercial applications they are typically discrete units.

17. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    The following probably comes under the category of too much information, but for what is it worth there might be some nuggets in here useful to whole-home customers.

1. I use a Linksys WRT310N router behind a Speedstream 4100 DSL Modem.

2. My wireless switches are Zyxel P330's. (P330's can be configured as either a router or a switch. I use them as a wireless switch).
    http://gadgetaddict.wordpress.com/2006/01/18/setting-up-the-zyxel-p330w-router-as-a-wireless-bridge/

3. Hardwired switches are DLink DES1105's. These are unattended brain dead simple devices to offer multiple ethernet ports at a remote location which only has one ethernet port..
    http://www.dlink.com/us/en/support/product/des-1105-5-port-fast-desktop-switch

As stated above, all of these gadgets can be had at Best Buy or Amazon or Newegg just to name a few.

As a point of clarification. Make no mistake about it, this stuff is rocket science and is very complex. The standard DIRECTV whole home configuration delivers content via coax using the hardware installed at the head end of your satellite using a single wire multiswitch (SWM). My configuration is a legacy Beta Test setup which delivers content via the house local area network (ethernet). I prefer the world of fixed or static IP addresses and ethernet for content distribution because I like pinging devices on my network and selectively opening up router ports to access devices like Slingboxes from outside the firewall.

Below is a conversation on a DIRECTV tech forum discussing switches and routers and whole-home that you might find informative.
    http://forums.directv.com/pe/elementDisplayRedirect.jsp?elementID=11137142

Dave

18. WTNewton

WTNewton New Member

May 15, 2013
    Ocotillo...
    Thank you all for the clarifications. I really like this site and the informative and wuick responses I have received to numerous questions. I will check out the link as its title looks like it will have good info for me.

Thank you all!

19. je4755

je4755 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    Revisiting an old topic, but yesterday noted for the first time a "playback failed; no audio/video data packets received from server" warning. Performing an RBR on both my HR24 (recording source) and HR21 (playback site) resolved the problem, at least for now.