Whole Home Service only half works.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by DanDigital, Jun 20, 2010.

1. DanDigital

DanDigital New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    After two weeks of some of the most unprofessional and frustrating "customer service" I've ever experienced from a company, DirecTV finally got my Whole Home Service working today. This was in no small measure a result of help from this forum, someone here was kind enough to provide an email address for someone high up the food chain that actually led to results.

Anyway, this afternoon my two HR24s were finally able to share recordings. At about 1:00 AM, I got a message on my living room recever that my bedroom receiver was no longer connected to the network. I suppose I should just be happy everything worked for 12 hours, but I actually expect it to work longer than that. Spoiled, I know.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and are you willing to share any tips?

2. dtvmike1652

dtvmike1652 AllStar

Jun 14, 2010
    Have not heard of this happening but of course with any new technology I'm sure there is going to be a learning curve here from the techs and with the Directv agents. I'll keep an eye out if I hear of this issue.

3. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    The first thing I would do is restart both receivers. If that doesn't help go into the network setting setup menu and rerun the "connect to network" option (not sure exactly what the menu entry is but that is close).

4. shawnk

shawnk New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    I'm having similar issues. I just got HR-24 and two H-24 installed SWiM/DECA. Every so often I get the Network not connected error. Thing is I can still see all three receivers from my router. My bigger problem is the DECA network seems to be playing havoc with my regular data network. The port it is connected to my router is blinking like crazy (as if it were a bad NIC) and appears to be consuming all my broadband as the connection to all the house computers has slowed to a crawl. I'm thinking about calling and seeing if they'll give me a new broadband DECA. Or I might just throw a packet sniffer on the network and see if I can figure it out that way.

5. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    To DigitalDan and shawnk, I am sure that there is quite a few of us that would help you out, including myself. So if you both could provide us complete details of your setup, we certainly will try to help you out.

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
  7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    From working with another that is/was having this problem, it seems the routers can be causing some of this.
    Not being the great network guru, I can only speak from observations.
    My router doesn't get swamped form my DECA connection.
    I'd guess a request from the DECA cloud isn't being handled by the router and this is causing it to be requested over and over.
    Could this be something as simply as not having UPnP enabled? :shrug:
    I know from another thread/or PM that they were able to get better playlist updating by removing the DECA to router bridging and having the receivers handle what the router should be doing.

I'm just throwing this out there and hope the network types can make more sense out of this and help those needing it.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It would certainly help to know the exact configuration ..

Is there a band stop filter in use?

Is the SWiM a multiswitch or part of the LNB? (one or 4 cables from dish to home)

Is the SWiM a green label or white label?

Is there one splitter or multiple splitters?

Is the splitter green label?

Are the unused ports terminated or open?

Do you have the "Internet Kit" to get video on demand? This is an extra DECA connected to your router.

There may be a couple of other questions as well.

Disconnecting is not common ..

9. DanDigital

DanDigital New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    My SWIM box is a black box with a green light. There is only a single splitter as far as I know, it is a powered black box that plugs into the wall
    with one line coming from the dish and one going into the HR24. The DECA unit is a white box, also powered, and I am running a CAT5 Ethernet cable
    from the DECA box into my HTPC, connecting to my wireless network with a bridged connection from the PC. It was all working fine up until last night when it just stopped. I reset the downstairs HR24 (the one with the bridged Internet connection) and everything started working again. But as with all things DirecTV the question is not IF it will stop working in the future... But WHEN.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    1) that "black box with a light" is not the SWiM, but merely the PI to power your SWiM.
    2) Bridging through your HTPC may [or may not] be the problem, since this isn't a supported method.

11. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    yeah this setup is definitely not supported :lol:

12. DanDigital

DanDigital New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Well since this method is not supported, and since DirecTV also does not support a wireless adapter, how can I connect to a wireless network if I don't have a router in the same room as my DECA unit?

13. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You could connect the DECA module to a wireless adapter. Wouldn't that work? (You'd have to set up any security on a PC first, but they you should be able to connect it to the DECA adapter.)

14. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Another option would be powerline networking from where the DECA is to your router.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think what everyone is trying to say here is:
    With one DECA for the bridging, you can connect to your home network like you would with a receiver, be it wired, wireless, or powerline. This link doesn't carry the MRV traffic so its speed doesn't affect how MRV works.

16. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

i had that problem sunday night and it turned out one of my cats had turned off the power strip my router is connected to.

i did spend over 30 minutes with dtv and now can expect a tech to come back out and install deca broadband. she said they aren't supporting power adapter installs. i explained it was because the broadband deca was not available at my install. she said dtv should have called me when the part was available and come out and re-install. she also told me they are getting calls from many people with similar problems.

17. shawnk

shawnk New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Basically I have HR-24 and two H24 (all have built-in DECA). They all have IP address and no issue with MRV. Occassionally will drop a download for OnDemand (lost network connection). My real issue is whenever the DECA is connected to my router (even when not downloading any On Demand) my broadband connection goes haywire. All my computers have intermittent connection issues. I'm thinking of swapping out DECA's.

18. Tim Sanchez

Tim Sanchez New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I just ordered direct tv. They installed 1 hr-24 dvr and 1 h24 hd receiver and 1 standard receiver. MRV worked great but there was no on demand since it was not connected to the internet. I called and paid the additional internet installation fee. The tech that came out had no clue what he was doing and didn't speak english. He called a friend who came over and installed 1 deca attached to a splitter. He said that is all that was needed to add internet to the entire system. It appears he is right i now get on demand and apps. However when trying to watch movies off the dvr from the hd receiver its very jerky and pauses for 1 sec every 5 sec, there is no way to watch anything now. Did he do something wrong, why is the mrv performance terrible now? What should I do?

19. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The new DECA that was installed. The input should be from the splitter that goes back to the dish. (The same splitter that feeds your other boxes.) The coax output should go to a power inserter. The ethernet output should go to your router (or a switch connected to your router). The 24's should have nothing connected to their ethernet ports.

Is it hooked up this way?

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

To add to DogLover's post, if it is hooked up that way, disconnect the ethernet cable from the DECA to your router and see if the issue persists.

Also, if you go into Network Setup, what is the IP address of each of your receivers?

- Merg