1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole House DVR & Internet Connection ?'s

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by msujohn, Aug 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Aug 6, 2010 #1 of 25
    msujohn

msujohn Mentor

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm in the process of signing up for DirecTV and have been looking through these threads for awhile but am still confused.

I plan on getting 3 boxes, (2 HD DVR's and 1 HD) with the whole house dvr capability. Based on where I will be putting these boxes, they will not be able to directly connect to my router. (it's a wireless router).

For me to have the ability to download video on demand, set my DVR via computer, etc, will I need to have one of these boxes directly connected to my router? Or can I do this someone wireless somehow?

I also will only have the ability to run 1 coax cable to each box, does this cause any issues like being able to record 2 shows at the same time?

2. Aug 6, 2010 #2 of 25
    cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Just be sure to order the Internet Connection Kit along with Whole Home DVR and you'll be all set. They will install a Single Wire Multiswitch along with DECA networking.

The internet connection to each box will be piped through the one coax run along with the satellite connection. Because you'll be using a Single Wire Multiswitch, you only need one coax cable for each box to support recording 2 shows at the same time.

The Internet Connection Kit consists of an extra DECA adapter (and its power supply) that will connect from your Ethernet router to the coax-based network, acting as a bridge so that every DTV box can get to the internet for VOD etc. The DECA adapter for the internet does not need to be near one of the sat boxes, but it must have a coax run back to the SWiM and a Cat5/6 Ethernet connection to your existing network. (You may be able to use a wireless bridge/game adapter to connect it to the network, but I'm sure it will be unsupported.)

Setting shows to record from the DTV web site, iPhone app, etc. is actually done through the satellite, IIRC, so no internet connection is required for that. But you do need internet for Video on Demand.

3. Aug 6, 2010 #3 of 25
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Does your wireless router have an open ethernet port on it? If yes just tell DirecTV that you need the internet connection kit for your connected home install, it's $25 extra. That will have them pull a coax line to where your router is and install a DECA there to interconnect their coax network to your router.

As for the one wire question, no problem, with the SWiM install which is used for Connected Home the single wire will allow for two concurrent recordings on the HD DVR's.

4. Aug 6, 2010 #4 of 25
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Even if you don't have an open port on the router, you can plug into a wireless gaming adapter or add a 4-port switch to the router if you choose.

5. Aug 6, 2010 #5 of 25
    msujohn

msujohn Mentor

Dec 19, 2007
    Great thanks for all the responses. So DirecTV will run another coax cable run to where my router is currently? Or will they just split the cable that is currently there?

Also, is there a way for me to guarantee that I get the latest equipment (i.e. HR 24's, and H24)?

And the internet connection is really only needed for downloading on demand - got it thanks.

6. Aug 6, 2010 #6 of 25
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Either way they do it is fine, really. But yes they should run the cable to your router.

As far as getting the latest stuff, they are supposed to use 24s when possible on new whole-home installs, because it's actually cheaper for them. However, if the 24s are in short supply in your area, they'll bring what they have.

7. Aug 6, 2010 #7 of 25
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    In addition to On Demand, the Internet Connection Kit will allow you to order PPV without a phone connection and to use Media Share (watch videos, listen to music and view pictures stored on your PC) and Directv2PC (watching recorded content on your PC).

8. Aug 6, 2010 #8 of 25
    cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    As Stuart said, it is luck of the draw on equipment but you increase the chances of getting a 24 by ordering whole home DVR. The only way to guarantee what you get would be to lease it through a 3rd party retailer like SolidSignal.com.

9. Aug 6, 2010 #9 of 25
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    ...and before someone says they (TVApps) are useless, I use the NOAA weather radar and NOAA forecast every day. (very convenient).

11. msujohn

msujohn Mentor

Dec 19, 2007
    Another question that I have is related to my internet provider. I currently have Time Warner Cable Internet, but have been considering bundling my internet and phone through AT & T. Will I have any problems with DSL and the Video on Demand? I believe that I can get 6MB speed with DSL.

12. bman51

bman51 Mentor

Dec 17, 2007
    If you can't get a coax run to your router you can use a wireless adapter. When I went to a Whole Home setup, they just connected to one of my previously setup wireless adapters. Basically works the same as when I was connected to On-Demand wireleslly prior to whole home setup.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Cant directly answer your question, but I found that my Comcast cable internet + Vonage VoIP service is less expensive that AT&T's fastest DSL speed (still slower than my cable) and landline phone service. YMMV, but consider a VoIP service with using or with your cable internet, you might be surprised.

14. msujohn

msujohn Mentor

Dec 19, 2007
    To Davenlr - I understand that DSL will be slower. I am actually getting rid of Vonage as we speak. I have had nothing but trouble since I signed up with them. Won't consider them again. So I'm trying to figure out the next best option - combining phone/internet, etc.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sorry to hear that. Not a single problem in two years with them here. Have you checked to see if your cable company would offer you a special price on their bundled VoIP service? Comcast here offers it for $19.95/mo for a year if you have their cable internet. Ill admit, I hate AT&T. They always tack on surcharges, allow ANYONE with your phone number to add non-phone charges to your phone bill (this drove me nuts), and around here, their DSL is really spotty for the high speed stuff, and rarely ever gives you the "up to" speed they say they give.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    FWIW, I have TWC RoadRunner and their digital voice service for the past two years. I did have one time where service was down for a little under an hour, other then that no problems with it at all.

If you would like to keep just the cable internet service you might want to check out Earthlink for pricing, last I knew they didn't have the surcharge that TWC hits you with if you don't have their video and/or phone service. Earthlink uses TWC facilities to provide service, you do looks the RoadRunner portal and e-mail service and get Earthlinks instead.

17. msujohn

msujohn Mentor

Dec 19, 2007
    Yeah, I know people that don't have a problem with Vonage and they live about 3 miles from me. I've checked with TWC (my internet provider) and if I combine Phone/Internet with them it is a whopping $79/month. I have never been a fan of DSL either - just trying to figure out a few options. Thanks for all the info and advice.

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just curious, what problem do you have with Vonage? Something a new VoIP box might fix? I dont know much about the service, I just patched it into my current phone system. I had some problems initially, with static from my phone lines in the house, but I eliminated the jack/line that was causing it, and its been solid since. Our cable internet here is expensive as well, if you dont have VoIP or video with them, but we have Business class DSL at work, and I feel like I am on a dial up when I use it.

19. msujohn

msujohn Mentor

Dec 19, 2007
    I have all kinds of problems with Vonage currently. (I've tried to trouble shoot this with them about 6 times). I had 2 new boxes as well. I have had my internet provider out here on several occasions with Vonage on the line to work through - it doesn't get better.

I have several problems.

- I get dropped incoming calls about 1 in 4
    - I have certain rooms in the house that I can't talk in at all
    - I have problems outgoing about 1 in 7

Not worth the problems to keep them.

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Sounds like an AT&T iPhone. :lol:;)