1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are my 3D channels grayed out in the guide?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Lord Vader, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I don't know if this is a DirecTV or a Panasonic 65VT50 problem, but here's the issue...

I have a DirecTV HR24 connected to this 65VT50 TV. Whenever I watch one of the 3D channels (101-107), I can do so without any problems. However, when I pull up the channel guide, all the 3D channels are grayed (faded) out, but again, I can still watch them. Consequently, when I try to record a 3D program live, I'm unable to do so. I get the message that says, "This receiver is not authorized to record this program." When I try to record a future showing of something on one of the 3D channels (101-107), I get a similar message telling me that because the "...receiver is not authorized to record that program...program may not record; choose cancel or record anyway."

It used to be that for some odd reason, I'd have to have my HR24 tuned onto one of those 3D channels for 10 to 20 minutes or so before the channels "lit up" in the guide and became recordable. However, they've remained grayed out for the last several hours. Resetting the receiver didn't help this time, either.

I've checked the Panny's settings, even changing 3D detect from "Auto 1" to "Auto 2" (whatever the difference is), but that didn't help. FWIW, I did notice that this problem seems to have become really prevalent after I changed my A/V to 65VT50 HDMI connection from HDMI-1 on the Panny to HDMI-2 (ARC).

DirecTV doesn't really know why this is happening, so I figured I'd check and see if anyone else has experienced this and if someone might think it's a DirecTV problem or a TV problem.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    When you turn everything on try turning your TV on first then whatever else and your HR24 last.

3. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006

I've posted several times on this...as RunnerFl said, you need to turn on the HR34 last. Since that doesn't happen because of how my remote is set up, I end up turning the HR34 off and back on and that fixes the problem-including restoring my master volume on screen indicator. I've got a Samsung PN 64D7000 TV and Denon 2112 AVR. My installer said it's a handshake problem-The 3D had worked fine with the HR24 it replaced. Directv is aware of the problem-Btw, do you have a Denon AVR?

4. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, the problem I have is that my DVRs are left on and not powered down. Moreover, I use a Harmony remote that turns everything else on when I select the activity "Watch HR24".

Regarding the A/V, I have an Onkyo 5008.

5. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    With everything on put your DVR into standby and then bring it out of standby, that should fix it for you.

For a permanent fix have your harmony power off your HR when you turn everything off. Then program it to turn on the HR last.

6. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I bet it's your apartment complex messing with you...

7. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Sounds like a good idea. BTW, it's only the HR24 with which I have this problem. I also have an HR22-100 connected to this TV, but that never seems to have this problem.

!rolling

8. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006

RunnerFL said it better then I did, when I said I turned my HR34 "off" and then "on", "off" = standby.

9. ohioviper

ohioviper AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    I had this same problem with my Onkyo. Go into the Directv box and make sure you have all resolutions enabled. I had mine set to 1080 only .Once I changed it to 1080,720,480 the 3d channels were not grey anymore.If I had to make a guess the 3d channels are in 720 but I really dont know.

10. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I'll double-check, but I'm pretty sure I have all resolutions checked. Also, so I make sure everything's correct, should native be set to "on" or "off"?

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, putting the unit into standby doesn't seem to make a difference. When I turn the receiver back on, the channels are grayed out, and I have to wait sometimes several hours until they light up. I can watch them live; I just can't record anything while they're grayed out.

What's really inexplicable is that even if I leave the HR24 on a 3D channel, like when I shut everything down for the night and turn it back on the next day, the channels go from lit up back to gray and unrecordable. Doesn't make any sense. This occurs whether the HR24 is in standby or left powered on.

What I want to know is why this happens only on my HR24. Neither my HR22 on this TV nor the HR22 in the bedroom (also connected to a 3D TV) exhibit this issue.

12. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Not inexplicable at all. When you turn off your TV the HDMI handshake is lost. No handshake means the TV doesn't tell the HR what it is capable of anymore.

13. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    I've had this bug for some time, too. I can't really relate it to HDMI handshaking, though. What I can relate to HDMI handshaking is that sometimes when I tune to a 3D channel, I get the the "TV does not support 3D" message. A power off/on of the the DIRECTV receiver fixes that.

Most interesting to me is that in the beginning of DIRECTV 3D there was no such problem:)
    I'm feeding a Panasonic TC-P65VT25 via a Denon AVR1611.

14. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Turning the receiver off for you seems to help, but it doesn't for me, unfortunately.

15. pecocus

pecocus DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I'm having the same issue. Sometimes, cycling power on the HR34 helps (standby then back on). Sometimes, cycling power on the AVR fixes the issue. Like others, never had this issue on my HR-24.

16. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I'm having it on my HR24 but not my HR22. Go figure.

17. Dan B

Dan B Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    I have this same issue with my HR21-700. It's a bit random, and seems that it corrects itself after a while. I also have a Panasonic TV & a Denon AVR.