Why are so many smart TVs a nightmare to use?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Input:

Why are so many smart TVs a nightmare to use?
    TVs look fantastic now. But some of their “smart” interfaces truly suck.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that one of the drivers of lower cost sets is the tv manufacturers tracking and selling usage data. If I understand the article, that revenue stream shrinks to zero if the tv is not connected to the internet.

Don't know why I never thought about the panel makers selling data when I figured that the roku, firestick, chromcast, apple, et al. "boxes" were definitely collecting and monetizing that data.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some of the manufacturers do a better job at the UI than others.

ericknolls likes this.
  4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My Roku TV is very easy to use. Great interface for streaming channels plus my FiOS remote works well with it for TV channels. One click on the FiOS remote turns on both the TV and DVR.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Since my TVs are "Before Smart TVs", I have to use other means for streaming. I currently have a Fire TV for just one of them, and I admit that I would get another one for the other if I did enough streaming to do it on both of them.

6. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I recently got a new TV, but it's a commercial grade one with no smart stuff on it.

7. Mar 2, 2020 #7 of 14
    Kamui

Kamui New Member

Mar 1, 2020
    samsung blocked my smart tv

8. May 3, 2020 #8 of 14
    ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I have a Samsung smart TV. The apps do not load up when I select them. I have to unplug my 2017 smart TV then when I relaunch the app tray the apps work again. I still can't figure out why the tv comes back on when Energy saver shuts the DVR and smart TV off after 4 hours. I do like the smart TV better. I also like using the built in microphone on my remote to search items on YouTube or search in general. I think my TV needs one good software update to iron out the kinks. It works like a charm hooked up to WiFi wirelessly.

9. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i much prefer a stupid t.v. and let me hook up my own devices to it

Eva likes this.
  10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I replaced my stupid TV(actually moved to another room with OTA connection) with a TCL Roku smart TV about three years ago and nave been well satisfied with the new set.

ericknolls and krel like this.
  11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The Roku interface is pretty good, which is why I got it on all three televisions in my home to make it easier for my mom.... who promptly leaves it on the Hallmark Channel.... despite the fact that I have Plex, Amazon Video, and Criterion Channel.

krel likes this.
  12. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    one of the reasons i went with TCL is the PQ stood out over others at a fraction of the cost. had a friend she bought a TCL for the same reason.. i know that TCL is using sammy panels in there displays.. i do love that i can plug a thumb drive into the set and pause live tv if i ever went OTA also..

13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I have a USB stick for pausing OTA shows on my TCL. I don't often use it but if FiOS goes out it does come in handy with a 60-minute pause possible.

14. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have a 2016 Sony 65" 4K with Android. The Apps have always been a PIA. They have updated the software several times but it usually makes things worse. Even the OTA tuner is sluggish. Works fine as a monitor for the Cable box , Roku and Apple TV and DVD player though. They should stop putting the Apps on these TV's.