Why are so many smart TVs a nightmare to use?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Input:

Why are so many smart TVs a nightmare to use?
    TVs look fantastic now. But some of their “smart” interfaces truly suck.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that one of the drivers of lower cost sets is the tv manufacturers tracking and selling usage data. If I understand the article, that revenue stream shrinks to zero if the tv is not connected to the internet.

Don't know why I never thought about the panel makers selling data when I figured that the roku, firestick, chromcast, apple, et al. "boxes" were definitely collecting and monetizing that data.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some of the manufacturers do a better job at the UI than others.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My Roku TV is very easy to use. Great interface for streaming channels plus my FiOS remote works well with it for TV channels. One click on the FiOS remote turns on both the TV and DVR.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Since my TVs are "Before Smart TVs", I have to use other means for streaming. I currently have a Fire TV for just one of them, and I admit that I would get another one for the other if I did enough streaming to do it on both of them.

6. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I recently got a new TV, but it's a commercial grade one with no smart stuff on it.

7. Kamui

Kamui New Member

Mar 1, 2020
    samsung blocked my smart tv