Why buy a DirecTV receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by c_l_phillips72, Jul 20, 2017.

1. c_l_phillips72

c_l_phillips72 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    So often I see advertisements for DirecTV boxes. I'm curious to know why anyone would actually buy one.

It's my understanding that if you bought the box, you still need to pay for their cable card (or whatever they call it) and have it activated on their system for the box to work. Since DirecTv provides free boxes (to use, not keep), I'm not sure why someone wants to BUY one.

Even if a box dies, all you need to do is start subscribing to their warranty service for like $8.00/month (and cancel like 2 months later) in order to get a replacement box.

What am I missing? Are there real advantages to owning your own directv boxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The primary advantage of an owned box is you turn it on and off at will without sending it back or getting a new one with a commitment. A good example is one in a guest room. Regarding replacements you do not need the Protection Plan to get a replacement, all it saves you is the $19.99 shipping.

c_l_phillips72 likes this.
  3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And I think you have to have their warranty package for 30 days before you can make a claim against it. But as longrider said, for replacements there typically is just the $20 shipping fee.

c_l_phillips72 and jimmie57 like this.
  4. c_l_phillips72

c_l_phillips72 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Thanks guys. Makes perfect sense. I didn't even know that was possible.

Many years ago the only way to get DirecTv was to buy the equipment from a store, like Circuit City or Best Buy. I did that and kept their service for several years, then cancelled due to my job taking me overseas. When I returned a couple of years later, I tried to activate those same boxes and they told me I couldn't because I didn't buy them from them.

Anyhow, that's interesting to know that it can now be done. Thanks for the info!

5. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    YMMV on the $20 shipping. I have had two receivers replaced in the last year and they waived the shipping on both of them.

6. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    If you buy one online or from a another source E-bay, Pawn Shop, etc. and there is a balance on the unit you will have to pay it before they will activate it. Taking the card out does NOT work. They know what card goes with what unit.

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If it isn't a new box, Directv won't activate it except for the original account.

8. spiderman865

spiderman865 AllStar

Apr 12, 2007
    How would D* know if it was in a box? All you need is RID and card number.

9. c_l_phillips72

c_l_phillips72 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    I'm guessing @studechip is saying that DirecTv won't let us reactivate a box on a new account. So that means the box is old as it was previously activated on an old account, and therefore can't be activated on a new account.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It used to be that a previously owned (but free and clear) receiver could be activated on a different account. I've heard talk that this has at least become more difficult. I have a couple of owned boxes, right now I'm just going under the assumption that I wouldn't be able to sell them if that time comes.

11. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I should have been clearer. A leased box can't be reactivated on another account. A previously owned box can. Virtually all used boxes are leased.

c_l_phillips72 likes this.
  12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And (in case there is any confusion) the "box" you are referring to is the receiver ... not the packaging typically made of cardboard.

DJ Lon and c_l_phillips72 like this.
  13. c_l_phillips72

c_l_phillips72 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Interesting. I wonder why they wouldn't let me activate the boxes that I bought from Best Buy? It wasn't really a problem for me but it has just added to my confusion as to why people would buy their own box.

And yes, I'm talking about the receiver and not the cardboard box

ericknolls likes this.
  14. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    BEST BUY didn't sell the receivers they leased them to customers, there was a disclosure of the lease provided to the customer. Most customers didn't know they were leasing until they terminated their agreement and were presented with a bill for nonreturn of Directv property.

DishCSR likes this.
  15. c_l_phillips72

c_l_phillips72 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Ok, then it was Circuit City where they were bought from, as they were 100% purchased and not leased. I paid around $500 - $600 for my boxes, and paid again for buying my parents their boxes too.

Regardless, I was never charged again for the same boxes. I just couldn't reactivate them after cancelling my service and then going back to DirecTv. It was around maybe 2002 when I bought the boxes, kept the service for 2 - 3 years, cancelled, then came back in 2007.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's not true.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He's wrong. I've bought all mine from other people. Each one I bought was owned. What he should have said was if you buy an unowned HR D* won't activate it. Why did I buy them? So I could put 2TB drives in them. I simply wanted more capacity. That's the main reason folks own their own.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm planning on selling all my HRs in the near future. I hope I don't have problems.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you buy a D* DVR from BB you are getting a leased DVR. You should be able to activate it.

Rich

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Me too. I don't know if it's AT&T reps that don't know, or a policy change.

Rich likes this.