1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't comcast handle a simple install

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by komondor, Aug 9, 2013.

1. komondor

komondor Mentor

Jul 23, 2011
    I currently have Comcast for my high speed internet and recently had to replace my modem. On the 3rd call to activate the modem ( yes it took 3) the service rep mentioned he could off me basic TV for free with a one time $15.00 charge. I said sure and he said that he would have a home install kit sent put.

I received the kit and activated it but it did not work, called three times and was told there was an issue of some sore either a physical block at my cable box, or a bad box. Since with no signal the box has a Zero and will not do anything no way to really tell if the box is bad. It will not turn off pressing the power button on the front though?

The 2nd tech I spoke to was apologetic and said that a tech would be sent to my house at no charge to resolve the issue. I said that 2 days later would work for me and I was told the appointment was between 5-7 PM, at 7:10 i called and was told there was no record of an appointment but there was on for Wednesday which would have been 1 WEEK after my original call. He apologized and said that since it was after 6PM they could not come out today (the 9th) but that he would escalate my issue and a supervisor would call me within 10 minutes and then within 30 minutes I would get a call from dispatch/scheduling and I would have someone out tomorrow.

One hour later no call back at all, and as a side note I NEVER got a ticket number from any of my calls. So i call again and this person says there is NO RECORD that I had called earlier no escalation etc....

I explain my issue and she says that she will check to see if there is a soft lock on my account and there is! So none of the previous people had the training to even look at that as being a solution. Unfortunately it did not solve the issue and after a few more tries I applauded her willingness to try but Comcast has lost me as a TV customer when they had a chance to gain one. I will be bringing back my box tomorrow ( I hope the line is not too long) and just cancelling my free tv.

Yes COMCAST can not even give away TV to me there support is so inept. I currently have DISH and no they are not perfect but they do have records of my calls and their support people do fix my issue on the first try or I get a call back the next day.

I even pressed 1 to take their survey and never even get a call back from that! Yes my home phone is working!

2. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Strange, On the other hand I have Satellite TV and Cablevision. In the past with the cable company if You only had Internet, They put a filter on at the pole to block all TV. Maybe Comcast did the same.

If I were You I would have gotten it working. As a backup for Satellite TV. There have been times I needed the option of Cable.

Luck
    TBoneit

3. komondor

komondor Mentor

Jul 23, 2011
    no way for me to get it working unless I go out and cut the comcast lock off of my cable box

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That is odd. Comcast has had to roll a truck each time I added a Tivo to pair the cablecard, and once to add a second drop for my internet (internet would drop out if I added a splitter on the TV line). One each and every appointment, they called the day prior to confirm, called the day of...to confirm, and then the tech called to tell me he was on the way. Two of the three times, they asked if they could come early. Maybe its just your local office is backlogged or has a bad supervisor in charge.

I have had absolutely the best customer service from Comcast as I have from any company in recent memory.

I do know you usually get much better results if you drop in and schedule your visits with your local office, vs the national phone number for some reason. If you live close to the office, drop in and ask to speak with someone there.

5. komondor

komondor Mentor

Jul 23, 2011
    You must live some place special the local offices here are usually full of people trying to return or swap out bad equipment. I can't even get comcast to show a record that I even called! Fortunately I do have proof of my calls and how long each was, I am in Denver but called the toll free numbers

Basically the CSR saying we have no record of your call (which to me says "You never called" )

here is my call log you can see how much time I spent either on hold or talking to an agent and they have no record?

number called date time time in minutes
    Outbound (800) 934-6489 2013-08-09 20:24:28 26.55
    Outbound (800) 934-6489 2013-08-09 19:08:28 15.83
    Outbound (855) 652-3446 2013-08-07 20:02:38 37.75
    Outbound (855) 652-3446 2013-08-07 19:03:36 32.93

6. komondor

komondor Mentor

Jul 23, 2011
    Well guess what I just received my latest bill and Comcast has that all messed up:

I ordered and received 1 self install kit it shows digital Self install kits being sent out at 2 different times for a total of 3?
    it shows I ordered HBO that was free ( I did not) the TV was going to be for a guest room that is not used very often, and somehow my regular internet service bill that usually is 39.95 is now 79.95?

How much more can it get?