1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why cant i get the color purple on my tv screen?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vid53, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1 of 20
    vid53

vid53 Legend

Jan 8, 2006
    I am watching the laker game and their jersys are yellow and purple and all i can get is blue by adjusting the color settings. Does anyone know why this might be?

Thanks Vid53

2. Jun 5, 2008 #2 of 20
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I would suspect that purple is hard enought to reproduce under a "pure" white light (5600 Kelvin) let alone under tv and stadium lighting.. its a tough color. As I recall, Sharp's Aquos line of tv's come the closest to producing a really true purple. Each manufacturer has a "lean" in the color spectrum, although most allow you to now adjust for "warm" or "cool" color emphasis, Sony has always reproduced the cool colors best, while Mitsibishi always had a warm color bent. My Samsung LCD has a cool color emphasis, but it too has adjustments to make it go the other way.

3. Jun 5, 2008 #3 of 20
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    is whoopi goldberg around ?

4. Jun 5, 2008 #4 of 20
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    How is your DVR connected to your TV? Have you tried replacing the video cable(s)?

5. Jun 5, 2008 #5 of 20
    Marriner

Marriner Legend

Jan 23, 2006
    :hurah: :hurah: :hurah: :lol: :hurah: :lol:

6. Jun 6, 2008 #6 of 20
    cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    It must be the lighting in the arena that makes the jerseys look more blue than purple. I just looked at a recording of last night's game, and the on-screen Lakers logo is very purple while the jerseys look very blue.

7. Jun 6, 2008 #7 of 20
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    You may want to head over to avsforum.com and find the thread for your TV...

8. Jun 6, 2008 #8 of 20
    cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    Nothing on AVS Forum is likely to help him make the jerseys purple when all indications are that it's because of the lighting and/or cameras that the jerseys are coming through as bluish. As I stated above, the on-screen graphics look perfectly purple as they are superimposed over the blue looking jerseys in the live video. With that situation, adjusting the TV to get the jerseys to look purple is likely to skew the other colors to incorrect hues.

9. Jun 6, 2008 #9 of 20
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Lighting doesn't matter. Arenas are all lit for TV. Some may be poorly lit, but cameras are always white-balanced to compensate for color temp variations anyway, meaning that lighting will not be a factor. IOW, it there's light, camera white balance will make it white, even if it really isn't.

On the other hand, if white-balance is NOT done (nearly impossible on a sports broadcast) that will definitely skew some colors, most notably white towards blue or towards yellow, but that will only affect blue by changing the chroma and hue slightly, although it may make purple more blue. And if white is yellow, and purple is blue, that may actually be a sign that color temp balance is indeed off, meaning that somewhere an EIC should be shot on sight. So in that case, improper color balance is the culprit.

The usual answer for such problems? Limited color gamut, either in the cameras, the HDTV, or both. Color gamut for TV is very limited compared to the capability of the human eye, and purple (violet, actually) is a very hard color to reproduce fully. But not all cameras (less likely) or TVs (much more likely) have the ability to even reproduce the color gamut to HD specs (which are pretty much the same as NTSC specs) which makes that part of test-driving an HDTV sometimes pretty important.

Ironically, in the 80's most RCA sets couldn't do blue properly and it always came out purple. I was doing cable service calls back then, and about once a week I'd walk into a home where the Cubbies were playing a day game on WGN, and their blue unies were bright purple! Sort of a precursor to the old Diamondbacks uniforms. You could crank the color controls all day and no blue, just purple.

10. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Well, the jerserys appeared purple on my TV... :confused:

11. MrMojoJojo

MrMojoJojo Legend

May 22, 2008
    That's all in how you perceive it. Oddly enough, I read an article in wikipedia today about the color purple... its history and some of the science stuff behind it, along with other various facts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple

12. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Your TV is misogynistic and doesn't like chic flicks. :lol:

13. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    What is your equipment and config?

14. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    That's because you have a extraordinarily good HDTV! ;)

15. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    Well, if you saw it as the same "purple" as the on screen graphic of the Lakers logo, you might be somewhat colorblind in the red spectrum, because the logo was the correct looking purple and the live video of the jerseys was nowhere close to the correct color of the logo. If the problem was a misadjusted TV, the logo wouldn't be the correct color while the supposedly same color jerseys appeared as the wrong color.

16. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    hmmm... pretty interesting stuff...

it's not too shabby :D

Not colorblind at all... Perfect vision... Just had it checked... I never said it was the same purple... But the graphics and the jerseys both appeared to be a shade of purple to me... Not 'blue'...

Just because his TV displayed the graphic as purple, doesn't mean it was displaying it in the correct shade of purple... in which case the jerseys would also display as the incorrect shade of purple... possibly appearing as a blue.

Either way... You're reading way too much into this... I simply referred the OP to a website that may have more info for him if in fact this was an issue with his TV... as LarryFlowers pointed out, some TV's may have difficulty reproducing purple (and maybe not with a graphic, but with a jersey washed out from bright lights) and that website would be the one to check and see if anyone else had reported the same findings...

17. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    Hardly. A good TV doesn't make something that is clearly not the "Lakers purple" look like Lakers purple (as referenced to the logo displayed on the same TV at the same time). That's more a sign of color perception problems (colorblindness) than a sign of a good TV.

18. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    This is the logical question that needs an answer first. Is this component, HDMI, or what?

19. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Nice of you to insult my (our) TV's... but he said that in a joking fashion, as he has the same TV I do... either way... this is not worth arguing over...

:backtotop

Hopefully the OP can get his TV to produce purple to his liking...

20. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    Well, that's ignores whole point of what is being discussed. It's not whether the jerseys are seen and described as "blue" or "bluish-purple", or "purple". Regardless of what color the jerseys looked like, they looked wrong as compared to the correct looking reference graphic on the same TV.

It's very simple. The jerseys are supposedly the same color as the on screen graphic. If they don't appear the same, it's not a TV adjustment problem. The incorrect color is caused by lighting or some other factor and it's in the source video. Adjusting the TV to try to make the incorrect color (which is encoded in the source video) look correct will only result in incorrect color reproduction on the TV (and make what was a correct colored graphic look incorrect).