Why can't we delete the watched portion of a recorded program

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by tropic209, Jun 26, 2009.

1. tropic209

tropic209 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    For example, if I record a three hour event, I would like to erase the 1st hour (after viewing it) but leave the rest of the program intact.

I need to do this so that I can conserve space on my DVR. Does anyone know how to do this? Is this something they'll come out with?

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Welcome to DBSTalk..

Currently there is no way to do this on the 722 DVR and personally it is a feature that I would put low on the priority list. My suggestion is if you are finding yourself low on storage, get an External Hard Drive and use it to expand your storage needs.

We have done around 5 wish list threads over the years and I am not sure I have even seen this feature mentioned. If it was, it was rarely mentioned which would give me an indication of it priority amongst current users.

Based on feedback in those threads my guess is this is not on the radar of feature they are wanting to add.

3. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I would like a recording editing feature in general. Seveal times I have recorded a PG-13 movie only to have the first several minutes be some soft p0rn junk. It would be nice to cut that section off the recording.

Also, I've noticed that if you have a ratings lock set, say NO NR/AO, and you get 1 minute of an NR/AO show right before your PG movie, the whole thing is locked. It would be nice to chop off that chunk.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I agree it would be a nice feature. For the OP's reason + the ability to shave off beginning or ending unwanted content.

I'm not sure, though, that this is a high-priority feature that we will ever see. Maybe we can hope to see it on a new receiver in the future though if enough people ask.