Why can't we see the SEC first round in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Eksynyt, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    There's a perfectly good HD feed to use on FSS and it's blacked out and only shown on full court in nasty SD...looks like I'm watching through saran wrap. Seriously,why won't they let us see the HD feed?

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    They haven't figured out a way to charge you extra for it, so it's blacked out :)

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    In Nashville it's also being shown on channel 30, the local MyNetwork affiliate . . . also in SD. :rolleyes:

4. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Is FSS repacking a Raycom HD feed? Raycom would be the one blacking it out.

5. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Luckily I'm getting it on one of my local RSNs, Sun Sports HD (653; although guide data is incorrectly indicating I am watching the already-completed Women's tournament).

6. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    Yes but since I am paying for full court it seems ridiculous to black it out. Or for ESPN full court to not have HD feeds for that matter.

7. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, the tournament is a Raycom production -- being shown on an OTA affiliate in some markets, on an RSN in others.

8. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    That works for me too - if you have the Sports Pack or Premier Package, should work.

FSS is blacked out and I get the SD Digital feed via my local MYTV station - no HD offerings yet.

9. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Blecch! At least our local MyNetwork TV affiliate shows the SEC games in HD (though they're only carrying the semifinals, the early rounds are via RSN here).

10. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm getting the Raycom produced ACC game on NESN blackout free, but the SEC game is blacked out.

11. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Nice of NESN to show the game in HD -- they've been just showing SD upconverts on their ACC coverage during the regular season for whatever reason.

12. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    It's nice because not having Full Court and not being in ACC territory I thought I would have been blacked out.

13. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    Sweet thanks for the heads up on the ACC on NESN...good for them

14. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, trying to figure out what college games are and are not blacked out on what channels in what areas is always a challenge this time of year!

15. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Do you pick up channel 30's OTA feed? I typically get their signal at my house but I'm getting nothing during the game.

16. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008

For the SEC and Big XII, it's usually simple. Big XII on Altitude comes through and the SEC (on SS or FSN-South) doesn't. All the other conference tournaments on RSNs should not be blacked either.

I didn't even know that NESN was carrying the Raycom-ACC coverage.

17. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Nope, I'm not using an OTA feed - too much trouble from where I am and the way my house is built/situated.

18. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    They started showing the ACC games in HD a couple of weeks ago, finally.

Thanks for the heads-up to the OP on NESN showing these games.

I'm a BC alum in RI and it's INCREDIBLY confusing figuring out who is showing what in this local region -- NESN has these two afternoon games but that's it. That leaves Channel 38 (Boston local TV) picking up tonight's BC game, but since the ACC's Providence affiliate won't preempt their network programming, I'll have to use Full Court (blech) with their craptastic picture to see it (unless the weather is clear enough for me to pull in the digital signal of 38).

Friday's games are on ESPN2, and NESN is opting not to show them, but I assume Channel 38 would pick up BC again if they win tonight. Here in RI, I'll have to watch the ESPN2 feed.

Over the weekend, Raycom has everything on both Providence and Boston local TV (which means they'll then black out the ESPN2 feed), so I'll end up using 3 or 4 different outlets just to watch this one damn tournament! lol.

I absolutely, positively HATE Full Court's picture quality. I dumped ESPN's college football PPV package a year ago and never regretted it, and the PQ on Full Court is so horrendous, some of my PC streaming feeds are clearer. Alas, I'm stuck needing it for the couple of BC games a season I can't get in RI because they're weeknight games that the ACC Providence affiliate won't show.

19. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I Live in S.E.C. Territory and I am shocked that I am getting the HD Feed on FSSouth channel 648-1 and I am SO Happy They are FINALLY putting the games on in HD for us. All Season Long we had to put up with SD but For the Tournament I am getting the HD Feed FINALLY! Since I Live In S.E.C. Territory I think they have it for us who live in the territory but not for everyone else.

20. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I can't see those games. They are blacked out in the Nashville market (definitely SEC territory). I CAN watch them in SD on the MyNetwork affiliate, as I noted above.