1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did they screw up trick play?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bpratt, Dec 19, 2012.

1. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Nearly every night now while I am watching TV, I will hit a couple of 30 second skip forward and it will jump to the end of the program. It will also jump to the beginning sometimes when I overshoot and hit skip back. It happens on both live and recorded programs and was caused by version 62c. I have tried several remotes and the problem exists with all of them.

I finally started recording most of my OTA programs on my trusty old HR10-250 because trick play on it is dependable and works so much better than it ever has on my HR21-700s.

I'm about ready to give Dish a try.

2. mammut

mammut AllStar

Dec 17, 2006
    I have had the same issue as well on my DVR boxes. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I have 30SKIP enabled.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    30skip is an undocumented feature, so I don't think it's one that is high on the priority list in terms of fixes.

4. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    This is the return of an old problem that my HR22s used to do all the time. You’re trying to skip ahead 30 seconds and it jumps to the end. Very annoying to say the least!

I’m sure a fix is in the works….

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Correct.

That said...as Mike G indicated...trickplay does need some small "fine tuning" to get it clean. Multiple HD DVRs at this point have hiccups - albeit the exception and not the rule.

It's a nuisance more than anything else, and just needs some cleanup tweaks...certainly not worth of losing sleep over.

6. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Glad someone mentioned this. I thought it was my fat fingers. :) irritating, but certainly not the end of the world.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Interesting as I have Never had that Problem which would be very annoying if I did!!!

8. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Another thing I have noticed on this version is double button presses are back. As I type in channel numbers, I occasionally get 2 numbers instead of just 1. I also get 2 or 3 skips forward or backwards somtimes.

Everything seems faster on this version, but at the cost of other problems.

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    And if you press pause when you are in the playlist, it plays the hilighted program.

Not only that, try frame advance. 4 or 5 frames, no problem; any more than that, you've just moved to the next tic.

The answer to the original question: "Why did they screw it up", is that they don't know any better and do not have the programming skills not to screw it up.

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes you have to be very careful that you only tap the button for a split second, anything longer could result in it skipping to the end.

11. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    Nothing against dpeters but this drives me crazy. I plead with DTV not to put features in and then yank them out unexpectedly or have them deteriorate to a useless state.

I don't care about "undocumented". You either have a feature or you don't. If you add in a feature, keep it and support it. Don't get you customers liking some feature and then kill it. This is not the first time DTV has done this. I have to wonder if they fly by the seat of their pants or actually have a product roadmap.

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Same thing happens to me occasionally with 30 second slip.

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    The fact that there are undocumented features alone points to multiple goals, some at cross-purposes to others. That is not necessarily bad nor good.

There is the extreme where everyone is completely on the same page, which would be like buying DBS from The Borg. In that case, "you either have a feature or you don't" would be the law of the land. The opposite would be anarchy, where everything is in a complete mess all of the time, and no one is in control of the goals.

Like most companies, DTV is somewhere in the middle. Personally, I like undocumented features and can live with them not being supported. There are a lot of useful undocumented features, after all. To not have them means the company has a completely closed mind; not only do they not listen to their customers, they won't even listen to their programmers.

There are just some features that would be great to have (and typically we have them) that would just be too much trouble to paint yourself into a corner of permanent support. That's a reality, because technology is just not simple. That argues for a category of undocumented, and pretty strongly.

Unfortunately, maybe DTV leans a little too far towards anarchy and a little too far away from dictatorial control. Quite honestly, there are a lot of failings over the last couple of years that they really need to get a handle on. They need technical and managerial skills to fix them, and they seem unfortunately to be lacking in both.

What chaps me more than that are features, either documented or undocumented, that yield very little value yet torpedo the core operating features we actually want and need. DVR's sluggish? Guess why.

14. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I sometimes have that problem when I press skip forward and does not react right way, and repeatedly press skip and jumps to the end, but most of the time I press the skip button pretty fast to avoid commercials(at least four or five times) and always work as it should but not fast enough with it's lag problems.

15. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    They should start using the 7 P's of DVR updating.

"Proper Programing Practices Prevents Poor Picture Presentation."