Why Dish over Directv?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lgb0250, Aug 24, 2014.

1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Have had both services off and on over the last 15 years. Currently with Directv.

Not a sports fanatic so that won't hold me to Directv. Number of HD stations appears to be comparable between the two. One of the compelling features of Dish is having more movie channels. The Commander in Chief would appreciate that. We would go with the AT250 package if we return.

Every couple of years I've been able to negotiate pricing concessions from Directv. Doesn't appear from what I've read here that that is so easy with Dish.

Currently have two HR23's and an HR34. Gives me the ability to record up to 9 shows at one time, anytime! Except for some bugs with their software updates they have worked great. Not sure if the Hopper/Joey system can compare favorably.

What am I missing that makes Dish a better choice than what I currently have? From what I've read the SD channels on Dish are better than Directv but quite honestly I try not to watch SD unless forced to do so. Trying to compare channels between the two is difficult for me. Not that the info isn't out there, it's just hard to comprehend it all with the drugs I take (legal). My cognitive abilities are a little skewed.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I personally don't think one can say that Dish or DirecTV is a better choice over the other, except for personal opinion and what is best for them.

One Hopper/Joey won't be able to do what your current system can, but they do allow more than one Hopper (though I believe there was a fairly significant price increase on multiples), and there is the Super Joey that has tuners of its own. They now charge $12 for each Hopper, they used to charge less for additionals. This was as of the February price increase.

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Depending on what you want. I have friends that have Direct and some have switched to Dish as Direct has a higher price and less channels in their packages. I have read some horror stories about Direct's customer service, but I have not had the service, so I do not know. But it seems a lot of the complaints come from the people signing a 2 year contract and then trying to get out of it. With me I never worried about that as I have always owned my equipment. But that complaint could also go with Dish or anyone that agrees to the contract and then tries to jump ship before the time is up. I have checked Direct's lineup and they offer me nothing I really want that Dish does not carry. I do not care about Sports.

Patrick

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The problem with reading stories on customer service is that not too many go online to say that they had a good experience, so it's skewed. This is true of any company, unless it's one of the rare ones that has an untraditional customer service department, like Zappos.

Fortunately this site exists which helps a lot for some issues, and the fact that Dish has an Internet Response Team that is active on here is great. I wish DirecTV had that.

5. Mikej0530

Mikej0530 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I just left directv. I think directv and dish are right about the same price. I left Directv because I wanted a couple of channels that dish has that Directv does not carry. Directv is launching 2 new satellites I believe in the first half of 2015. I really think that it is possible they will really push ahead in the hd war next year. From my experience I find that the hd picture quality is a little better than dish. I find the sad picture quality is really good on dish. Overall I really like the hopper over the genie. I find it is a must to go ahead and get a super Joey with it. I'm happy and most important my wife is happy.

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have been with Dish since 1999 and their customer service has always been top notch in my case. I own the 211k and it conked out and Dish replaced it for free and I still own the receiver. I felt that was going beyond what they needed to do, as I own the receiver. But Dish has always been that way with me. I feel Dish has great customer service. That is another reason I would not jump ship even if another service had a few channels I want. I tend to stick with good companies, from the local mechanic, dentist, doctor, or satellite provider. There is a lot of poor customer service around and if you find someone that is great, it is good to stay and support them. I have wanted BBC World as well as CNN International, so I went with the Roku and they are free streaming on there. The pq varies, but it works and a nice addition. By the way, the Blockbuster pack for $10 a month is great. Few companies offer anything like that.

Patrick

7. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Legend

Jan 26, 2009
    For me the biggest difference is being able to pick up all of the locals OTA with the Dish DVR. I get METV OTA on a local channel that's not carried by either Dish or Direct. Many of the shows I want are broadcast in the wee hours, so this makes the difference between seeing them and not seeing them.

8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Does Direct TV have a receiver like the 211k, with an outboard hard drive option and the OTA tuner?+

9. georgewells

georgewells AllStar

Feb 23, 2006
    Hayden,Idaho
    Will my Hopper DVR let me record OTA Stuff ???

10. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    yes, all current ones have that option.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is one nice thing about the way DISH does OTA. One may not get an EPG for every subchannel and won't get EPG for channels not carried, but one can tune to any channel that can be received - and set manual timers if there is no EPG. If one receives an OTA signal from another market one usually gets the EPG for that OTA.

Yes. Adapter required.

12. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Got another come back to Dish offer yesterday. Now they are throwing in a $200 Dish MasterCard. This is looking better all the time.

Question: if I decide to get two hoppers and two joeys will they all be able to see each other? Let me see if I understand this correctly. With two hoppers I will be able to record five shows at once plus prime time anywhere shows provided one of the hoppers has the PTA turned off? Thanks again.

13. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Correct. Joeys tied to the alternate Hopper and the alternate Hopper can see recorded programming on the current Hopper, but cannot see tuners on the alternate Hopper.

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    What kind of Adapter?

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  16. georgewells

georgewells AllStar

Feb 23, 2006
    Hayden,Idaho
    Any Idea what the Adapter costs ? I went to there site but I could not find the Info !
    Thanks

17. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    The first price that I googled up was "$36.99 & FREE Shipping" on Amazon. I don't know if that's the best price.

18. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
  19. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    After coming back to DISH, a couple months ago, some observations.

1. Hopper/Joey more stable and faster than Genie. Though, I lost two tuners. A super Joey compensates for that.
    2. The OTA module, for the Hopper is far superior to the AM21. It is also much smaller. It just tunes in all teh channels you can get and is not restricted by a database.
    3. I find the SD quality better on DISH. Especially with Chiller.
    4. HD I could not tell the difference. Some can, but I did receive great HD with both providers.
    5. The Blockbuster Pack is far superior to DirecTVs HD pack.
    6. The Sports Pack fro DISH is a couple dollars cheaper.
    7. The various receiver fees are cheaper with DISH.
    8. The programming package cost is only a dollar or two less than DirecTV.
    9. DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket, but I like DISH's NFL RedZone over what DirecTV had for a similar channel.
    10. The 129 satellite for DISH is more prone to rain fade than DirecTV satellites.

So, it really depends on what your needs are. You want a lot of movies, use OTA, then DISH would be a better choice, and pay less in fees, then DISH is for you. If you can't let go of NFL Sunday Ticket, then stay where you are.

20. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    1. Is the hopper faster than the hr44 genie or are you comparing to the old hr34?

2. Also with the am21 you can trick it to pick up other channels in your are by entering multiple zips but it shouldn't be that way.

3. I totally agree with this

4. Subjective

9. DirecTV has red zone also... so..

10. True but is usually not a problem

Like your comparison, unlike many seems to be truthful and not hating on either company, just your honest opinion.