1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Do Fox Affiliates Prefer Not To Show NFL?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rcw119, Dec 14, 2008.

1. rcw119

rcw119 Cool Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I am noticing here in Chicago that they decided not to show a Noon game. I know the Bears are not on today, but I would think showing the Green Bay game would get more people watching your station than showing King of the Hill Reruns.

I know I have seen this before both here in Chicago and when I used to live in Central PA.

Does anyone know why decisions like that are made?

2. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    CBS has the National Double Header this week. The Minnesota @ Arizona game has more meaning to the Chicago Market than the Green Bay game down in Jacksonville does. You Will see Minnesota @ Arizona at 3 p.m. on FOX WFLD. The Only week both Networks FOX and CBS will have National Double Headers will be Week 17 The Final Week of the Regular Season.

3. rcw119

rcw119 Cool Member

Aug 9, 2008
    To make sure I understand, you are saying that it is the NFL rules that don't allow Fox to show another game? Only CBS can show two games? I agree I want to see the Vikings lose, but I would rather watch an NFC game than the Jets/Bills.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Each week either CBS or FOX has the double header and then the next week the other one does. I receltly spoke with the GM of the CBS in my DMA. Much to my suprise they actually pick the games they want to air. CBS has the right to air any game CBS covers just most DMA markets pick the local team. I have seen this right exercised here a few times in the last year or two. Week one here CBS showed the Jets game because they knew the ratings would be awsome.

Fox here is exclusive Rams and they sometimes pick the Cowboys games over the Rams for ratings. So bottom line it was your CBS that said they think the afternoon game was better for them ratings wise.

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Been that way for a couple decades. CBS has the double-header this week, thus Fox only gets 1 game in their markets. Next week Fox has the double-header and CBS will only have one game.

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Oh, and each local station chooses what game they want to show. So Fox Chicago is the one deciding to show the game that is on.

7. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    When did they ever not have a early game... i don't remember that...

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah no CBS double header here today either because the Cardinals are playing on Fox.

9. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    When the game they want to show is the late game if they only have one game to air that week. BTW, it's the NFL that came up with this compromise, not the networks.

10. jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    in the Boston heralds sports section it says
    "FOX-25 Games TBD" until friday a few times this year then we find out what game it is.
    So they must pick too just my guess

11. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Sorry to disappoint you - NOT! :D :hurah: :lol:

13. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Most folks, who've lived on 'cable' particularly in small/rural markets, don't understand the rules that everybody else (including satellite) live by, since the cablecos (again, particularly small market ones) operate on different 'rules'.

One of these days (say, oh, the year 2550?) all video operators will be under the same rules. The nonsense of those cablecos being able to bring in multiple network stations from multiple markets, will be history.

Meanwhile, even the big MSO's (like Comcast in major cities) have pretty large 'loopholes' they drive their subscribers through. They had what, 50+ years of being able to grab any signal out of the air and put it on their systems, sans any payment to those stations. Of course, not so 'today', but just how exactly are folks like satellite supposed to get the benefit of that 50+ years of building their subscriber base?

But the ability to bring in 'out of market' signals is still there. The pace of satellite (for instance) to allow folks 'significantly viewed' markets has been gindingly slow. Figuring out things like sports blackouts will still be stunning. That's why those cablecos don't even try, today. They simply have an 'all-purpose' pass to do just about anything they want to.

14. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I guess either CBS or Fox has double header games on Sundays--not both. I know where there is no late afternoon CBS game, the CBS Evening News and local news is on and the primetime shows are at their regular time. When there is a late game on CBS, the news isn't on and the primetime shows are usually 30 minutes off.

15. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    Actually I believe the NFL requires at least some stations to carry their "home" team, but that might not be the case in states that don't have an NFL franchise. I work for the FOX affiliate in Duluth, MN and ur management has said we are assigned as a primary Vikings station by the NFL. About a quarter of our market population is in Wisconsin and Michigan, but we only get to show the Packers game if there isn't a conflict with the Vikings and it's a FOX doubleheader week.

Today we had a lot of complaints since the Packers were at Noon and the Vikings were at 3, but FOX didn't have a doubleheader. The Packers game was never on our schedule, but people think we'll be airing it because the team's schedule says the game is on FOX. (Yeah, like we would choose to show paid programming instead of the NFL if we had a choice!) It's no fun trying to deal with drunken football fans when you're trying to write the news!

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Yeah I am guessing that its because there are no real close teams in our area. KC, St. Louis, and Dallas are the closest teams. KC is about 4 hours away and in a different state.

17. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Primary market stations for a team are required to carry all away games. No primary market station is going to elect not to carry home games, but they're not contractually required to.

18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That is not right at least in my area. FOX here is exclusive Rams and they have chosen to show Cowboys games over the Rams several times over the last 2 years. The GM even admits to it.

19. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    That's more or less correct. This week was a CBS doubleheader week. Most weeks, when CBS is the non-doubleheader network, they carry some other sports programming in the opposite slot. Most weeks, that's not the case on Fox. Their stations usually have some sort of local programming (movie, local shows, informercials) in that slot.

Next week, Fox has the doubleheader. A visible list is at http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html

Later in the week, that site will also show a map of what markets are carrying what game for the week.

The only week that both networks have doubleheaders are the final week of the season. The list of who has a doubleheader on what week is determined by the networks/league prior to the season.

M

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It's right in every primary market. If your location of Miami, OK is accurate, your Fox affiliate is not "exclusive Rams" at all. You might be in a secondary market, but I'm not sure. But if your affiliate has ever chosen not to broadcast a Rams game, you're definitely not in a primary market.

I was actually a little off in my description, primary markets are required to show all games, and secondary markets are only required to show road games, even though they'll usually show home games too.