Why do I have to change the channel whenever a recording starts?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TBlazer07, Nov 15, 2017.

1. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    And there are at least 2 free tuners available?

UPDATED 12/27: PLEASE SEE UPDATED INFO AT MESSAGE #24 (I believe).

Don't understand why when watching 1 recording and 1 live program or 2 live programs and a recording is about to begin I get a "change channel (to what is about to be recorded) or cancel recording" popup message. We have a DVR that is "off" (no TV attached only used as a server in a closet) and 1 mini. The 1 mini is either watching live TV and/or a recording. When a recording is about to begin I get that popup and have to change the channel to what is about to be recorded. I can go back after the change so why do I need to change it? I can understand if all tuners are in use but they aren't since I can switch back after it changes and the scheduled recording begins. What am I missing here?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Please list the model numbers of your receivers / client / minis. Is the DVR in the closet hooked up to the system ? What model is it ?

I have an HR24 and I can watch 1 live program and record 1 other.
    Or I can watch 1 recorded program and record 2 others.
    If I am watching live TV and 2 recordings are going to start soon it tells me the same message you get.

3. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    :) The DVR has to be hooked up to the system or I couldn't watch the minis! :) 1 C61K, 1 Wireless Mini C41W & HR54-200 (in the closet, turned "off" so I believe no tuner used and has no TV attached).

I can watch and record live etc etc the problem is I get the silly popup and if I switch back to live AFTER the channel changes it's fine. The popup seems to be in error but I do have to change the channel to what is about to be recorded first or the recording will be canceled. Once the recording is started I can go back to watching the live recording I was originally watching.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The C61k and the wireless mini can not view TV at all unless they are getting the signal from a server type receiver. They do not have tuners in them to watch TV.
    The HR54 is supposed to have 5 tuners in it. You should not have a problem trying to watch the C61k and the wireless mini and recording 2 / 3 programs all at the same time.

5. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Chico, CA
    I got that last night on my HS17-100 with 4 recordings and two C61Ks on live tv simultaneously. That math doesn't work, so I'm lurking.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Look on the right side of the HR54 and look for the red button to reset the receiver. This could take up to 12 minutes for this to happen and it will interfere / stop any recording that is going on at the time ( pick a time it is not recording to do this ).

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think you are limited to 3 recordings with 2 live clients watching TV. If not some of the more experienced posters will correct me.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No he’s not. The hs17 has seven tuners total, so he’s limited to seven tuners total in use in any way... if he’s using 2 live he can record 5 things and have no issue.

Curios if those who are having this issue when they get the pop up, if you select ok to change change for the recording, and then change the unit to the exact same channel you are already on, does it still change the channel? Sounds like it’s having a hard time realizing it has other unused tuners and it is a glitch.

Two wild thoughts...

Do either of you have genie recommends turned in or off?

I sometimes wonder if it’s recording push commercials in the background and forgetting it can cancel that for latter as that should never take precedence.

Realistically, any chance this is possibly your scenario say for a five tuner machine?

Watching live tv on one unit.
    Recording 2 shows that are on from 8 to 9 on say channel 2 and channel 4.
    Recording 2 shows that are in from 9 to 10 on say channels 5 and 7?

If so, two possible reasons. One is these shows end or start say 1 minute past the hour and screw everything up?

Or another possible glitch, it’s trying to make sure it gets full soft padding on as many of the recordings as possible.

Also, any chance that there where more tvs on just a few minutes prior? If so maybe the genie hadn’t released the tuners yet, I believe they wait about 60 to 90 minutes to release them on their own, but not positive.

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    @inkhauts
    Last night 1 show was recording at 10PM and nothing else before or scheduled after. 1 of us was watching live (on the C61K) and the other was watching a recording on the wireless mini. This constantly happens but not 100% of the time. All we have is 1 DVR which is off so tuner isn't in use plus the 2 minis. Only 2 TV's.

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida

As a former DirecTV (MDU) tech support trainer (in another life about 9 yrs ago) I am aware of that and that is EXACTLY why I started this thread. :laughing:

11. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    A glitch then. And I assume a reboot has been tried. Might try to redo satellite setup.

Or unplug all the DVRs and the pi for the lnb. Then after five minutes plug in the pi. Then after another five minutes plug in the DVR again.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The DVR is never OFF if it is plugged into AC power. It is constantly, 24 hrs per day downloading stuff from the satellite.
    Did you reset the DVR with the red button ?

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    YES, I fully understand and am aware of that however when it is "OFF" it releases it's tuners that would be used if it was "ON" thereby freeing up even more tuners which is even more reason why my issue SHOULD NOT occur which is why I created this thread! (Also why I put "OFF" and "ON" in quotes).

Yes, it's been rebooted multiple times over the last 10 months, most recently 4 days ago) and has never stopped randomly occurring.

Just as weird, as we sit and watch TV just now on the C61K (but also happens on the wireless mini) the "time/buffer bar" randomly appears or the screen saver randomly appears ... not together, just randomly. Screen saver is set to off.

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida

If that is replying to me ... there is only 1 DVR and it has no PI (power comes from the DVR). Yes, everything has been rebooted and it has been happening since January when we were installed down here.

And just to answer the next Q sigs are all at or near 100 other than the "usual" lower ones.

15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    It's been postulated here, but I don't know if it's ever been confirmed, that sometimes you can run into this situation if the genie has one or more tuners downloading stuff into the Directv-controlled partition used for local-insertion commercials, Genie Recommends stuff, etc.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think it is time for DTV to send a tech out to you and possibly replace the HR54. This has been going on for way too long.

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    We know it behaves differently when everything is in standby and it knows no one is watching. If you’d rather call that standby instead of off I guess that’s fine but the point remains the same. And every general refers to and knows what we mean when we say off.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    "Off" is off. They never go off unless you pull the cord. "Standby" is a much better word to use, I think.

Rich

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try this 1 last thing for me.
    Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Info & test, More System Info
    Scroll down this screen until you see your Tuners. They are about 3 screens down.
    Mine says Tuner: Tuner 1: Sat, Record
    Tuner 2" Sat, Record
    I have an HR24 so I only have 2 Tuners.
    What does yours show for tuners ?

20. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    Like I said earlier, (and only to show I am not a novice with this stuff) I was a DirecTV (MDU) call center tech support trainer for 5 years, did some MDU installs as well as my own when I lived up north and was also a field tester for quite a bit of hardware including the original "GENIE" (well before it was called a Genie) as well as some of the "original" tuner-less minis and other interesting stuff. While the employment goes back to 2004-2009 I still know my way around this stuff quite well so I am still able to do the necessary troubleshooting. This does not seem to be "defective hardware issue." But to answer your question:

7 Tuners, all 7 of which show:
    Tuner <#>: SAT, Record (The 2 "extras" are used for DirecTV suff IIRC)