1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I lose signal @ night

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kipg, Oct 12, 2009.

1. kipg

kipg New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Two HD receivers from same satellite. Receiver in bedroom which is alot closer to dish gets reception fine during day, but at night atleast 50% of the time I can't get golf channel or ESPN on the 206 channel. I pick it up on 73 or whatever it is fine. Living room tv and receiver have no issues. I would think night time reception would be better. Any ideas?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If only one receiver is having issues and only at night, I'd suspect an issue with the cabling or the dish's built-in multiswitch - loose or bad connection that is affected by the heating/cooling cycle of day/night.

3. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I would physically swap the receivers to see if the problem stays with one of them or the location. If it stays with the location, then you may have a problem with your LNB, multiswitch or wiring. If it stays with the receiver, then it's at fault. Either way, it sounds like some equipment failure. My guess is that will find it's a problem with the LNB, multiswitch or wiring that fails when it gets cooler at night.

4. rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    i had a similar issue last year. at night some condensation would form inside of the lnb. swapped it and never had the issue again

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Lens condensation is an issue that impacts all receivers. This is more likely a cabling or multiswitch issue that may be heat or moisture related.

6. rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    well it never dried up during the day so i had to replace it. no problems since ;)

7. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I've actually run across a few instances where the connectors on the ground block had shallow center conductors, and were fitted loosely to the ground block itself. Those rubber weather seals grow/shrink a great deal from hot day/cold night, and were causing problems during the daytime only, when the rubber seals would pull the conductor out just far enough to cut off contact.

Sound's like the LNB fixed it! Good deal.

8. Hotscot

Hotscot Legend

Sep 25, 2008
    If I determined a problem existed in either the LNB or multiswitch would D* send me a new one on request?

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No. They don't send parts like this for self-installation. If you have their Equipment Protection Plan they'll dispatch a service tech to make the repairs for free. Otherwise it's ~$50, regardless of what parts need replacement.

Or you can buy the stuff yourself from places like http://www.solidsignal.com.