1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does Comcast have more premium channels than DIRECTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by PennHORN, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    I know cable systems across the country are different but here in Houston, Comcast has a lot more Cinemax and Showtime channels than we do with DirecTV

http://consumerblog.abc13.com/2007/06/comcast_shows_u.html

http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/chnllineup.pdf

I have Premiere and have always had the top of the line package whether with DirecTV or cable. I am wondering whether keeping Premiere is justified considering the recent price increase and the fact that I scroll through those channels and often find nothing interesting to watch. When I had Comcast, the sheer number of premiums was enough that you could find something. What is the deal?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    $$$

Really.... that is what it boils down to.

We don't know what Comcast is paying Cinemax / Showtime for those channels.

I woudl suspect that if they did come to DirecTV... you would see similar price increases (like you see with HBO the last two years).

And the question is.... is there a large enough customer base for those extra channels... to justify the cost increase (or loss if there is no cost increase) for the entire customer base for those channels.

Take a look at the heated debated about the $4.99 for the HD Extra package, for an example of people not wanting to pay more for more channels.

3. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    I figured that DirecTV and the cable companies charged the same price ballpark for premiums and they offered a suite of channels kind of like ESPN does with their affiliated networks.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just out of curiousity, what HD channels does Comcast have? Do they have all the ones that DIRECTV has?

5. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    It depends on your region. Here in the San Jose area directv beats out comcast easy, hence my move to directv :). This is all I see when I go to comcast.com and enter my area info:

720 FSNBA (Check Local Listings for times) Sports
    722 Vs/Golf HD Sports
    724 ESPN HD Sports
    725 ESPN2 HD Sports
    734 A&E HD High-Definition TV
    735 TBS HD High-Definition TV
    737 TNT HD High-Definition TV
    738 USA HD High-Definition TV
    739 Universal HD High-Definition TV
    740 MOJO HD Lifestyle
    743 MHD Music
    746 HGTV HD High-Definition TV
    750 Discovery-HD High-Definition TV
    754 Theater HD High-Definition TV
    758 History HD High-Definition TV

702 KTVU (Fox) High-Definition TV
    703 KNTV (NBC) High-Definition TV
    704 KRON (IND) High-Definition TV
    705 KPIX (CBS) High-Definition TV
    707 KGO (ABC) High-Definition TV
    709 KQED (PBS) High-Definition TV
    712 KBCW - HD High-Definition TV

757 National Geographic HD High-Definition TV

730 NFL Network HD Sports

6. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I can not see that we would be getting much different content from all those other Cinemax / Showtime channels that is not on the other premiums. I believe Directv carries all the premiums that have original programming/series.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    In some locations, Comcast has begun to drop the west coast feeds and a few other redundant feeds to make room for more HD.

8. Stewpidity

Stewpidity Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    I wonder how long they will have HDNet & HD Net Movies...last i heard Cuban did NOT have a deal with Comcast....

9. Billsfan69

Billsfan69 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I would always trade off some premium channels that show the same stuff for all the HD channels I get.

10. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    Cable is much more expensive. Comcast in my area charges about $20/month for each of their premium movie channel packages.

11. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    Comcast charges the same here in Central NJ. My guess is Comcast justifies
    the $20 because of On Demand. Cablevision breaks out the cost of On Demand
    and charges less for the premium channel and adds $5 for On Demand.
    The cheapest package for premium channels is on Verizon Fios. I currently
    pay $11 for HBO and $11 for the movies and sports package which includes
    Starz, Showtime and TMC. It also includes On Demand. $22 for these premiums
    and On Demand is the best value in the business. Cinemax is an extra $10 on
    Fios. Compare the base cost of Fios $43 and $22 for the premiums (and no HD charge) to $99 for Premier or $95 for Dish AEP with locals and an HD charge. (This is before this years price increases). All my Fios prices are locked in for another two years through 2010.

12. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007

what Comcast now has over D* is PBS HD, Mojo HD, and they have the Local channels more consistently covered in all their territories.

What D* has over comcast is HD net and HD N Movies, Tennis HD, Big Ten HD, Bio, Bravo, CMT, cartoon, cnbc, fox business, fuel, mgm, nba, nfl, nhl,smithsonian, nick, speed, spike, science, weather channel, and vh1

13. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I know I'm going to be attacked by the DirecTV Fan Boys, but D*s premium movie channel selection is piss poor and a ripoff. '$12 or less'. Well for $7.95 each I get many more unique channels, less west coast feeds and more variety. The so called sports leader is far from being the movie leader.

Here it's $7.95 per premium movie package. Or $96.75 for an equivalent to Premier.

HBO- HBO, HBO 2, HBO Signature, HBO Family Zone, HBO Comedy, HBO Zone, HBO Latino, HBO West, HBO On Demand, HBO HD

Cinemax- Cinemax, Moremax, Actionmax, Thrillermax, Outermax, 5Starmax, Wmax, @max, Cinemax West, Cinemax On Demand

Showtime- Showtime, Showtime Too, Showtime Shocase, Showtime Extreme, Showtime Beyond, Shotime Next, Showtime Family Zone, Showtime Women, The Movie Channel, The Movie Channel Xtra, Flix, Sundance, Showtime West, Showtime On Demand, The Movie Channel On Demand, Showtime HD

Starz- Starz, Starz Edge, Starz Cinema, Starz Kids & Family, Starz Comedy, Starz InBlack, Encore, Encore Action, Encore Mystery, Encore Westerns, Encore Love, Encore Drama, Encore Wam, Encore West, Movie Plex

14. Billsfan69

Billsfan69 Legend

Nov 9, 2007

It's to each his own. All I know is Directv blows cable away in sports and that is my number one priority. I can live with the movie channels I have. Would I like to see Directv add more of the premium movie channels? Of course. But do I want to give up my big ten network, nhl network, nfl network, and nba tv all in HD, along with all the rsn's? probably not. Also I can see games of all four MLB teams that claim Buffalo as their area, with cable I get just two.It really just comes down to whatever you are happy with, go with that.

15. Billsfan69

Billsfan69 Legend

Nov 9, 2007

They won't have PBS HD over Directv for very long. And you can add the 101HD that Directv has over comcast because of the hi-def concerts it shows.

16. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    And yet you continue to subscribe to DirecTV...

17. EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM Legend

Jan 18, 2008

PLain and simple. Comcast has a much larger subscriber base. So, Comcast has the budget to provide more movie channels, based on the demand.

Why?

Cable is wired into almost every neighorhood across the nation. Futhermore, all thanks to the HOAs across the nation, they have multi-billion dollar contracts with companys like Comcast - almost all the homes are prewired with cable (some even with cable internet), which automatically makes every resident a customer, as they pay for basic cable through the HOA fees. All the customer has to do is pay the difference for HD, movie channels, etc.

18. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Uh no I don't. It will be two years next week that I dropped DirecTV and went back to Time Warner.

The bottom line is DirecTV doesn't want to pay for the additional channels. Spin it anyway you want, but that's what it boils down to. DirecTV has a larger subscriber base then Comcast when it comes to digital cable subscribers. Since premium movie services are scarce on the analog line ups it's best to compare apples to apples. Just like on the cable side, Time Warner, not just Time Warner Cable, but Time Warner Inc as a whole is the third largest company in the country, but doesn't want to pay for the NFL Network, but friggen Sky Angel will offer it as part of their IPTV service. Cable being wired to a great deal of homes is irrelevant, just because you have access to it doesn't mean you have to subscribe or can't go an alternate route. And not every one is part of a home owners association, you couldn't pay me enough to live in one of those robotic plastic yuppie communities.

19. EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM Legend

Jan 18, 2008
    Spot-on!!! :thats:

20. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    My bad. I would have thought if you spent time discussing DirecTV programming, you would be a subscriber. But you left two years ago? Are you really that bitter? Holy cow! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.