1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does HR24-500 record a show, HR24-200 doesn't?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    We have an HR24-200, and an HR24-500, and both were set to record a show last night at 10:00. The 200 recorded the show, the 500 didn't. My wife double checked the to do list last night on the 500, just to make sure, as that is in the living room, where we watch most tv. It was Castle, on ABC(7), for whatever it's worth. Also double checked to make sure there were no conflicting recordings that could have had priority.

Anyone have any idea why the 500 didn't record the exact same show? The 500 is connected up to our big tv, so we'd prefer that not miss a recording. Is it maybe just a glitch, that a reset might fix, remove and put back in series manager, or??? It's in the series manager from last season, but that shouldn't matter, and it's the same in the 200. Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    CHeck the recording history, it may give you an indication of why it didnt record.

3. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Thanks.....didn't even think of that. :grin:

It says "this episode was cancelled because of an unexpected error (3)"
    Is the (3) an error code of some sort or? Is it safe to assume this is just a random thing, and not an indication that it will act the same way next time? Again, thanks!

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Usually a "random" thing. Typically nothing to worry about, unless it keeps happening.

5. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    O.k.....thanks!
    Yeah, figured I might take it out of the series manager, do a reset, and put it back in, just for good measure. Sure can't hurt.

6. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    O.k. this is pissing me off now. Last week I took the show out of the series manager, cleared the NVRAM, just for the hell of it,reset the receiver, and then put the show back in the series manager. It was back in the to do list as well, all set to record tonight at 10pm.

My wife just checked, and it wasn't in the to do list, but it was still in the series manager, and it showed an upcomung show NEXT monday, and it seemed all set for that. So, for some reason, it took itself off the to do list for tonight. The show is on tonight too, my wife just manually set it to record.

Is this a sign of a bad receiver or??? It's still on the to do list on the HR24-500.

7. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I have had a similar issue with an HR21-200. I moved the series link to a different dvr in the house and now it records as expected. The other dvr in this case is an identical make and model. As far as I can tell the HRs have been doing weird things like this for a long time.

8. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Ah....o.k. Thanks.
    Yeah, I don't feel it warrants replacing the receiver. It's just one show, that I know of. The CSR I talked to said to see what happens next week, if it removes itself from the to do list. She said there is a known issue where a show will be in the series manager, not on the to do list, and doesn't show as ready to record in the guide, but come showtime, it will record anyway. She told me next week to let it go until 10pm, and don't set it up manually if it isn't on the to do list again, and see if it records anyway. Can't hurt. Worst scenario is I'll swap the rooms the receivers are in. The other HR24 is set up in the bedroom and mainly runns a tv in the kitchen, so if any receviver has a minor issue, I'd rather it be that one.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I didn't have a listing on my Guide for the make-up game last Sunday for the Yankees-Bosox game at 6:30, so I manually recorded it and checked the To-Do List twice and it was scheduled to record. An hour after the game started I noticed the HR24-500 wasn't recording and picked up the game in the fourth inning. Don't know what happened, nothing in the history. No conflicts on that HR. Just didn't record. This very rarely happens to me. Very rarely, can't remember the last time it happened.

Rich