1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does it take SO long to access web pages?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I have Comcrap's Blast service and every speed test shows a consistent 40-50 megs down and 6-10 megs up. I've checked my PC for spyware, malware, and everything else. Everything shows up squeaky clean and free from any malware. Despite this, at many times during the day, especially late night between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. CDT, whenever I enter the URL for a website, it takes me a very long time to get to that site's home page and navigate through it.

I started timing it the last couple days. It is taking anywhere from 3 to over 5 minutes for web pages to load. This is absolutely unacceptable. It's just like the days of dial-up.

I've used Open DNS, Google's DNS, and other similar options, but those don't make a difference. With or without that, I'm still waiting forever to access web pages. BTW, it doesn't matter what web site it is, either. News sites like WGNTV.com; retail sites like Amazon; social sites; forums--all of them take forever.

Any idea what can be the cause of this? Comcrap people seem baffled.

BTW, I'm connected via hardwire, direct connection. When I thought the problem was my router (a newer wireless G and N one, too, BTW), I decided to connect my PC directly via a Cat 6 cable. That didn't matter, it seems.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Have you tried plugging the PC directly into the Comcast modem? Tried running a ping test to the websites? Sure sounds like a DNS problem, or an issue with your ad skip plugin, if you use one.

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Yeah, I did that, too. Ping tests showed OK, and direct connection to the modem didn't make a difference.

4. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    This sounds like a Malware issue.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just re-image the pc....

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    :confused:

It's not Comcrap, it's you. 50dn/10up is two angels short of miraculous. Pehaps, if you would stop calling Comcast comcrap, websites would load faster. My experience with Comcast is, and has been excellent for the past five years or so.

It's not your father's comcrap, so stop with the cheapshot name-calling.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It's one of two things -
    1 - your PC. If you have access to another PC, try it out. If it's better - reimage (i.e. reload the whole computer from scratch - starting with the OS)

2 - your cable provider maybe be oversold at the moment. There is nothing you can do about this one.

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    First of all, does this occur across multiple browsers? Does this occur across multiple computers in the same network? Have you gone into Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings and made sure Proxies are not set? Have you done a power cycle of your modem?

9. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    You can also enter 74.125.228.7 in the address bar to see if you have the same problem. Don't put the http://www in there. This is a direct address to google.com. If that address goes there quickly then you have a DNS problem. If it still takes a long time to get the page then its not a DNS problem.

10. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Malware. Maybe if you hadn't been up so late internetting this wouldn't have happened.

11. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    i have tested everything you have. i still have this problem with at&t dsl 6.0 service. currently using ie9. some sites load just fine and at times dbstalk.com takes forever to load the forums. when i see its taking a while i close the browser and try again. the 2nd or 3rd time around is usually faster. i have scanned with kaspersky, eset and use malwarebytes & scanned with windows defender... i even re-installed windows and the problem persists, but i noticed it does it after all the updates and pataches are installed. i like to keep a clean pc & im always up to date on everything security wise. changed dns settings several times, doesnt fix it. :confused:

if you find a solution, please share!

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    During the slowdowns, have you tried a speed test? Results?

Outside the slowdowns, how do pages load?

What is your neighborhood like? High or low concentration of households.

Cable is a shared node type system. If somebody close to you (or several somebodies) does something that creates a load on the system, you can see a slowdown. Normally, what you request from the web is like passing grains of sand through a firehose. Lots of them can pass at the same time with no congestion. But consider what would happen if you tried to send several softballs through the same firehose at the same time.

13. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Try using a browser with ALL add-ins disabled.
    If that fails, use Malwarebytes and clean your PC.

14. prozone1

prozone1 AllStar

Sep 22, 2007
    Try using a Mac

15. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Has Comcrap :lol:, actually come out yet to troubleshoot it? They might be baffled on the phone and claim there are no issues on their end, but you might want to get them out there to double check everything. Whenever I've had serious slow downs like this from them in the past, I had them come out and it was always something they had to fix with the connection or in my neighborhood and NOT related to my PC.

Good luck!

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Firefox can become a huge memory hog if you have many addons installed and leave it running all the time.

You don't mention what browser you are using, but I'd check out Chrome, which seems to load pages on my computer much faster than Firerfox.

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While it can be something within your own system, I too have experienced delays, sometimes involving a few hours accessing a number of different sites. What I have discovered is that sometimes whether it's the target web site or the ad feed servers they use, routing through the internet is sending me into heavy traffic or through some server group that isn't working right.

I either use PC Pitstop's Trace Route Utility web site or, if I know the IP address of the site I'm trying to reach, I use a command prompt "tracert" to see where the delay is in the routing.

That, of course, doesn't do anything for me other than allow me to shrug it off. But sometimes, the problem is in Comcast's system so I can complain and thereby receive a "gee, we're surely sorry" form email.:rolleyes:

18. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Every malware program I've run comes back clean as can be.

19. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    It goes there instantly.

Yes, all speed tests show very fast speeds with excellent Ping test results.

It's an apartment building, and late at night, there often is not much running when I check available networks just to see what's around.

I've disabled most of my add-ins and Malwarebytes shows nothing abnormal.

Yes, and they said everything's fine.

I use Firefox most of the time and IE some of the time. Both are experiencing the same problem.

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Quantcast