Why Does Manual Record Time Always Default to 05 or 35?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jyafink, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jyafink

jyafink AllStar

Jul 7, 2008
    Okay, I finally had time tonight to post some questions I have been wanting answered and this is my last. It is not important, but why, when you try to set a manual record in the HD DVR, does the start time always default to 05 after the hour or 35 after the hour? Who would ever want to start recording at i.e. 7:05 or 7:35 instead of 7:00 or 7:30? It is of course easy enough to change it but a pet peeve nonetheless. Thanks.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You're right, I just posted a question in the CE thread to see if we can get it changed.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Hmm, that is weird.

I don't think I've ever set up a manual recording, so never even noticed that.

4. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I have never set up a manual recording, so I have never seen that either.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the designers assumed that manual recording would be used mainly for situations where you want to override the time in the guide, to avoid a conflict with a show that runs over the hour.

I imagine that they didn't think that the guide data for some shows would be so bad that manual recordings would the best answer to get them to record properly.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I havent set a manual record in awhile, but unless they changed it, it defaults to the current time after the hour, ie if its 426, it starts at 426 and a 1 hour duration.

6. jyafink

jyafink AllStar

Jul 7, 2008
    Yes, manual recording isn't used by me much but does come in handy for Center Ice, Sunday Ticket etc... that have game times in 6 or 4.5 hour blocks on the the guide when they only last a few hours or so in reality. No need to record for that long so I set a manual record instead.

7. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    It would be nice to have a show highlighted in the guide, then bring up the manual record menu, and have all options default to the channel and start/end times of that program. I usually use a manual record if an event on a sports pakage is scheduled for six hours and I can't tell the DVR to do a six-hour record because of a conflict.

Better yet, allow arbitrary start/end time adjustments when setting a recording of a show instead of being limited to the few options presented.

8. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That item is on our wishlist. If you haven't voted yet, please check it out here.