Why does the H21 have a network jack?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - H21 Discussion' started by Radio Enginerd, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1 of 25
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    So I started thinking about this and the only reason I could think of was possible VIIV integration to come and maybe a way for the box to "call home".

Anyone have more insight?

2. Sep 4, 2007 #2 of 25
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Maybe the H21 will be able to work with MRV.

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 25
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    ;)

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 25
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Why Not?

NIC cards are extremely inexpensive now.... so it is easier for them to include it now, at a modest increase in production cost.... in case they ever want to use it for something.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 25
    Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    All this talk of networking (in that other thread :) ) got me thinking today. If it's for MVR - WOW is all I have to say...

I will keep my fingers crossed cause that would be awesome.

6. Sep 4, 2007 #6 of 25
    Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    Fair enough Earl and an excellent point. :)

7. Sep 4, 2007 #7 of 25
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    The network is more likely to be available close to the home entertainment equipment today then POTS. The network can basically run the whole house. Today washers/dryers/refrigerators are hooking up to the network. When the ultimate program is sold for the house for complete control including setting restrictions of kid's personal IP address access is when the control will be in place. That will give a would new meaning to identity. Thank about it when they use the fingerprint to scan, it goes into the data base, gets age and information and it says, sorry Mom and Dad said you cannot see an "R" rated movie and they are in Dallas instead of Houston, then you know it is doing what we really want it to. IPV6 is the hub to this being put into place. That is just around the corner.

8. Sep 4, 2007 #8 of 25
    Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    All excellent points.

I was more curious about what it will be used for in the next year or so if there was any reason for having it beyond "it can't hurt to have it".

Wanted someone to share in the vision.

You certainly shared a long term vision and the direction we're headed.

9. Sep 4, 2007 #9 of 25
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    That would make the most sense to me. I don't see needing a DVR to see a recorded show in another room. A system with a high volume DVR and multible non DVR, MRV capable receivers would be great and more cost friendly.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Why does a DirecTiVo have USB ports? Because it can. Same thing.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    MRV would be nice. I'm sure one of these days it will happen. It might not be with this generation of equipment, but it is certainly something that will become a highly desired feature at some point.

12. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    The nice thing is that most home networks are 100MBp/s. Should be no problem transferring video.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That is, as long as the video is sent compressed. Uncompressed HD video is ... huge.

14. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    To use it for MRV would be great and i also think that they can eventually use it for MediaShare as well. No files are saved to the HD when using MediaShare on the HR20 so an HD is not required. That would be a cool feature to have as well.

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Maybe my math is wrong, but.....

MPEG4 is about 4GB/hour, or 67 MB/min.
    MPEG2 is about 7GB/hour, or 117 MB/min

An average network is 100Mb/s, or 750MB/min ((100*60)/8)

So it certainly seems that a 100Mb/s home network is more than capable of streaming HD from an HR20 to an H21. Or did I miss something?

EDIT: Okay, I see that you said as long as it's compressed, which MPEG2/4 obviously is.

16. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    In the DirecTV world of MRV, OTA will be the "biggest boy" in regards to bandwidth at nearly 20Mbps. Since a 100Mbps home network can sustain up to 100Mbps that should be plenty of head room considering the codecs used. MPEG 4 will be the "biggest boy" in regards to resources need to encode/decode it. My concern is whether or not the processors on the encoding/decoding end can handle the increased load of MRV?

Let's think about this...

The HR-20 that is sending the data stream will probably encrypt the stream (in some form) while it's being sent. Can the HR-20's chipset do that, while recording 2 HD shows (MPEG 2 or 4), while playing back an HD show and DL'ing VOD at the same time? If anything, I think we might have a hardware limitation.

Those of you that follow my threads know I'm not a "Negative Nancy" but I don't foresee MRV on the HR-20. :( Please prove me wrong DirecTV.

17. lguvenoz

lguvenoz Icon

Aug 22, 2006
    I agree with the concern, but I would truly hope that D* wouldn't apply too much extra processing to transfer the data. I would assume that their NIC hardware and software would leverage technologies akin to IPSec to establish a trusted connection and then just stream the data from the drive to the network rather than manipulating the data. That would produce minimal hardware impact from the networking piece.

My bigger concern is along the other lines which is whether or not the internal IO bus utilized can handle all of these data streams flowing to and from the hard drive between the tuners, output circuitry, and network connection. There is the potential for there to be huge amounts of data flowing over the internal bus, and if it's not built to handle it then there will be an issue.

I also would not be surprised to hear that the H21 has some amount of RAM installed to allow it to buffer streaming media either from an MRV type of feed or VOD. It really would not cost very much to even put in as much as 512MB of RAM for this purpose.

18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    From listening to early industry experts discussing HD and things like MPEG-4, the cost of the memory needed for it was a significant issue. $5 per unit was a concern.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see they left out washers under screws to keep the price down.

19. lguvenoz

lguvenoz Icon

Aug 22, 2006
    I wonder if the industry is morphing any in this regards. With the new model D* adopted of perpetual leasing I wouldn't be surprised if it gives the designers a little more leeway with the cost side of things.

If they haven't I agree with you. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they left out a washer here and there to save money. I've personally be shocked at some of the little things manufacturers leave out to save a nickel...

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Why do you assume this? The data is already encrypted on the hard drive, so why encrypt it again?