1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does TV Apps so often get broken?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Pepe Sylvia, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    I like it when it works, but so often it gets "service unavailable (5)" error. It's not the network connection because the On Demand downloads without a problem. This feature is still not ready for prime time.

2. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    They haven't continued to support the applications for a little while now. I wouldn't expect many of the issues with the apps to be fixed anytime soon or ever really.

3. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    I have the same problem and this has helped a lot. When I lose TVapps on either one of my HR22's I go to Directv.com and reauthorize that particular receiver. They state that it will be reauthorized in 5 minutes but that is not true, you need to wait over night. Then do a red button reset and the apps will be back. Or you can just wait it out for days for them to return on its own.

Someone here with the inside knowledge said a few months ago that DTV was working on a new TVapps system and was to roll it out soon, let's hope!

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sadly, TVApps has sort of been left out in the rain for a while. I have been told something else is coming but I don't know when.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I've given up on the current TV apps, I don't even bother reporting any problems with it anymore. IMHO just another case of DIRECTV coming up with a good idea, like Media Share also, and then not really following through on it.

6. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    My TV Apps work perfect. Everytime. On all four boxes.

Except right after a software upgrade, but that dosn't take much to get them going again.

7. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Mines been working good also, which I had a problem with on previous SW updates, but don't use it much unless to watch weather app or sometimes scoreguide app when I'm not on a interactive sports channel

8. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Every time I've used it or had them do it over the phone, it took about 20 seconds. The reauthorize is for your access card and the programming it is able to view, not TVapps.

9. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Agreed---they both got off to a good, if not great, start, with a seemingly high uptake, and both have (had) high value if implemented properly. Curious.

10. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Probably based on cost of IT upkeep versus the low number of customers using it. Maybe just a little ahead of it's time. Hopefully a new platform is coming as the use of applications on many devices is only climbing.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    With the onset of millions of tablets and light laptops over the last 3-4 years, all in customers hands as they watch TV, TV Apps becomes moot for most of that base. You can much quicker find what you want on your iPad or laptop than through TV Apps, with a great deal more customization. So, for many, the sun has set there. Hardly all, of course, and it would be nice to see it brought up to snuff.

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That does indeed happen sometimes.

Resetting the Network Services settings corrects the issue and restores TV Apps.

13. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Yep, thats what keeps mine happy.

14. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I'd speculate that DirecTV is aware of this hiccup issue, and perhaps folks will see it corrected in a future firmware update. :shrug:

15. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    It's right up there with Media Center (beta) and Game Center (makes the Atari 2600 look state-of-the-art)

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Actually....TV Apps have worked very well here for a very long time.

Only use about 5-6 at a crack, but use them regularly...a great info convenience here. The scores, weather, and other apps get used all the time.

All that said...accessory functions like these tend to evolve over time.

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The ones that are left work, but a number were removed by their developers because something new was coming. Plus the tvapps.directv.com web site was removed months ago because something else was coming, still waiting.

18. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Think we're kinda saying the same thing. :)

19. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Nope. I come from the school that you don't remove functionality from a product while working on an upgrade.

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    What about during transition?

Agree removing something before it's morphed replacement is in place makes little sense though.