1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't DirecTV just offer TiVo as a software option?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by ajiuO, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    Why doesn't DirecTV just offer TiVo as a software option to users of any of the HR series of equipment?

Comcast does it.... you just pay the TiVo fee and the new os is downloaded to your receiver.

I would hope that at least when the HR25 is released that a THR25 is also released.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I don't think it would work. There are also some hardware differences with the THR22 customized for the Tivo software.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    No need to make it up.

According to Mod's review/answer - there is no HW difference between HR21, HR22, R22 and THR22.

I think, when right time will come (TiVo SW port to DTV HW platform) and all issues will be fixed, the possibility of install TiVo SW will come.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    As I said there are no hardware differences. However, there are things in the device that can't be changed over-the-air. It is probably possible for someone with the right tools to reprogram a stock HR22-100 into a THR22 if that person is in the same room and physically connected to the device. Problem is, those tools don't exist outside the lab and they're not likely to; they could probably easily be adapted for evil purposes.

So short answer, it's not going to happen.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That means proper handling the process via network. ;)

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It would be the equivelant as a BIOS update however the risk of bricking a reciever isn't worth the effort. There are also security issues that could arise. So there's no way they're going to put their code out there like that and have it where a receiver gets bricked and has to be sent back while the customer waits for a new one to be delivered. Easier to just handle it internally.

Besides how could TiVo lovers live without the TiVo sticker? It would be like buying a kit car.