Why doesn't DirecTV offer their products at retail?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FarNorth, Sep 15, 2019.

1. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    I live in Anchorage. I decided to add a second TV in my living room so I can tune my main TV to a game, in my case, the Seahawks and then have a second TV tuned to Red Zone or a different game. I have a Genie HR 44 and 3 minis so I figured I'd just move the one in the garage that I don't use much.

I spent Friday night finding a stand and buying a TV. Then I figured out that the garage mini was wired and so was one in the master bedroom. I only have one wireless and it is connected in my home office, feeds my Slingbox so I didn't really want to mess with that unit.

I wasn't worried since I know the biggest installer in this city has a big showroom in the center of town and the sign in their door indicated they are open on Saturdays. Wrong.

I called them and after several efforts, finally got someone in dispatch who told me the installers were working but the showroom was closed. I offered to drive to an installer but she said no. Me: I need a wireless mini. Her: Oh that little C41W? Me: Yes, they are $99. I have cash, credit or debit card, a check or you can charge my account. Her: Sorry, we can't do that.

I then called DTV CS and they had nothing to offer. They could not give me any other numbers, had no alternatives.

Best Buy used to stock rcvrs, not any more. Costco has had free lancers selling their stuff, not any more. Walmart, Fred Meyer have nothing. AT&T has stores all over town and piles of phones and ipads but no DTV product. On the other hand, the local cable company has stores all over that will hand you rcvrs or minis with no waiting or install. You can buy a Roku at dozens of places 24 hours a day.

Not DTV. I called today and talked to someone from Costa Rica or the Philippines. told me I'd have a new unit on my porch by Wednesday.

Why? What if it were the day before the Super Bowl and my Genie failed? Why can't they work with a retailer since the units have to be authorized before they will work? Why is this so complicated?

2. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You live in a remote area, waited until Friday night to start your project with no planning and can't wait til Wed and you're blaming DirecTV? I live in a "big city" and I can't get a DVR same or next day either. Sounds like you should just move the wireless from your office or use a splitter and hook up a wired one. DirecTV hasn't sold stuff in stores in years and years. Just curious, but where can you buy a Roku 24/7? Best Buys are open in Alaska 24 hours a day? What are you going to blame DirecTV for next? That your sun doesn't set? :D.

P Smith likes this.
  3. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Remote area? Anchorage is a city of almost 350,000.

I can buy a Roku 24 hours a day at Walmart, I can go to the cable company 7 days a week. AT&T has offices open 7 days a week, why don't they have a few rcvrs in stock?

I wasn't trying to buy (lease) a rcvr at midnite, I was trying to find one at noon on Saturday.

4. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Just out of curiosity I looked it up. In Alaska, 44% are open 24/7. In my state, it's a measly 17%. Average across the US seems to be about 50% without plugging all 50 numbers in, just eye balling it. But yeah, Alaska is remote. Which is why most places where you buy online only sell to the lower 48 or charge you a LOT extra to ship to Alaska & Hawaii (like 2x to 3x). Just an FYI, I bet your cable company wouldn't give you a drivers route so you could go meet him somewhere LOL...

Sorry, but blaming DirecTV on this one? If you've ever been in a store, you should know they haven't sold DirecTV boxes in stores in probably at least 10 - 15 years. Probably more.

If someone offered to overnight you one, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have paid lol... I bet overnighting a DirecTV receiver to Alaska costs $200 - $300.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I know its after the fact, but could you have tuned one of the TV’s to your local CBS/Fox station for the Seahawks game using a TV antenna while putting the other TV on Red Zone using the client thats already there?

Yeah you would think AT&T stores would have some equipment in stock for “emergency situations”.

ejbvt likes this.
  6. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I was going to say this. There is no need to pay to have locals on a second TV, especially in a city or anywhere you can get OTA easily. I share my HR44 on 2 TVs but I can watch locals on both TVs so if I wanted to watch the Patriots (I don't) on 1 on Red Zone on the other, I could. Anchorage is not remote, there is good OTA coverage in and around the city.

7. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Remote? Maybe to you....... You are not on the mainland..... Your far up north not connected to the US.... Puerto Rico and Hawaii are remote...

SledgeHammer likes this.
  8. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    I live in what is known as South Anchorage, near the bluff looking over Cook Inlet. My house is built in the side of a hill and I get exactly zip for locals OTA. Run the scan, nothing.

9. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    My point exactly. I have an HR 44 and one of these days it will suffer the dreaded dead hard drive. I'll have to call the girls in the Philippines and wait.

10. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Update: On Monday, Anchorage installer called and told me - again - that they would not sell or lease me a new mini. I told her I had already ordered from DTV.

Yesterday, I came home to find a new wireless mini on the front porch. The box was soaking wet from the rain but the unit was fine. Took me 30 minutes or so on the phone with a tech support gal 'from Asia' but she did just fine. Walked me through the steps, got all my units working, told me how to return the wired mini that is now surplus to me. My setup is now HR44 and a wireless mini in the living room so I can watch 2 games at once, a wireless mini in my home office that feeds a Slingbox so I can watch on my phone or iPad, also feeds a TV in there. Wired mini upstairs that feeds a TV in the master bedroom. Everything is working fine but I may replace the HR44 with an HS17 some day. Go Hawks!

Rich and TheRatPatrol like this.
  11. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just curious, but why would you go wireless in the same room that the Genie is in? It’s always better to go wired when possible.

12. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Just easier to do it that way. I have 75" Sony that is on a pretty solid cabinet that holds all the equipment, speakers out from there. Then I decided to add a second TV so I could watch two games at the same time. I got heavy duty rolling cart out of the garage, bought a 55" Vizio and hooked up a wireless rcvr. During the week, it is out of sight behind my main tv. On Sundays, I roll the whole works out and have two games on the tvs, more on my iPad and phone. Just easier to deal with a wireless rcvr and I don't see many issues.